Final Fantasy XV [XO, PS4, PC]

Considering my 1070 can't even maintain 60 FPS at reduced settings at 2560x1600, I'm not touching Gameworks effects with a 10 foot pole. Especially after seeing the performance hit they can induce in benchmarks.

They are a nice checkmark for marketing, but I don't know a single person in RL that uses them. Even my friend with a 1080 Ti disabled all Gameworks effects after trying them out.

Regards,
SB
Ah shame,
has less performance impact (still a notable chunk but their test was in a dense grass area) than VXAO and Turf also provides the perceived largest visual quality improvement in context of certain options, was curious if it made it unplayable for you with Turf effects; part comes down to resolution as well.
Costs shown by Computerbase for FFXV:
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-03...-test/2/#abschnitt_nvidia_gameworks_im_detail

Last edited:
Tested: Denuvo DRM has no performance impact on Final Fantasy 15: https://www.pcgamer.com/denuvo-drm-performance-final-fantasy-15/

I'm not interested in the game itself but the engine seems to be good on PC. I didn't like the visuals on consoles but it looks very good here. Of course not as well adapted as it is typical for a Ubisoft PC Version where there are countless Options.

I think GameWorks is great. :devilish:
Yeah nice work by Durante just came across the article myself and was going to post but saw your post :)
Although the data needs to be seen more from a frame/time analysis rather than higher level average fps perspective to identify any behaviour trends, but without that looking good so far.

His view if Denuvo is implemented in a competent fashion it should have minimal impact, which suggests quite a bit of effort did go into FFXV.
Especially when one considers and looks at Hairworks performance cost that seems to be bearable due to the scope and implementation used for it in this game; just saying as every other game using Hairworks is a dogs dinner.
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-03...-test/2/#abschnitt_nvidia_gameworks_im_detail
Still not a fan myself of VXAO though due to its performance cost and what one gets, even if FFXV has the nicest looking implementation to date.

Last edited:
Shadowlibs is good, I think it only adds HFTS on Noctis and it looks really good. Everything else, meh. Even VXAO doesn't make much of a difference, turf looks just bad with aliasing and sub-pixel crawl all over the place (not to mention ghosting). I can appreciate the more complex shading and grass interaction but not when it comes at a cost to image quality and temporal stability.

Edit: At native 4K

"Normal" grass in motion:
Could it be some settings conflicting with Turf?
Seems quite a few reviews such as computerbase/eurogamer like Turf, nor did pcgameshardware seem to find problems from what I can tell.

Edit:
In fact going back to the Eurogamer review, they had flickering on standard grass while Turf was fine.
Something happening with the grass depending upon settings or driver *shrug*.

How are you finding the use of TRAM?
Just wonder if some comes back to this as I know it has caused some unusual behaviour for some owners depending if they have it too high/low relative to their GPU and/or resolution/advanced options.

Last edited:
Could it be some settings conflicting with Turf?
In fact going back to the Eurogamer review, they had flickering on standard grass while Turf was fine.

No, turf has poor filtering applied on top of it. It appears to be aliased in motion while "normal" grass looks fine. Flickering is an entirely different issue.
It makes some big difference in indoor scenes, here is a quick comparison (mouse over):
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/133723

Outdoors it is less obvious, but it's there:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/133724

Sorry, I meant it doesn't make as much of a difference as in RotTR.

No, turf has poor filtering applied on top of it. It appears to be aliased in motion while "normal" grass looks fine. Flickering is an entirely different issue.

Sorry, I meant it doesn't make as much of a difference as in RotTR.
But Turf is ok in their reviews and actually recommended to the point of being better than standard in terms of quality (such as having zero issues compared to the flickering in standard at Eurogamer).
If the issue was as you say it should had been identified as they do look at visual quality/behaviour *shrug*.

Eurogamer says about Turf:
It also addresses an issue we had with the standard grass, which would sometimes flicker in an unsightly manner.

Separately you played around with TRAM or the difference between the standard and hires pack (I need to re-read the reviews to see if they installed the hires option)?

Last edited:
Clukos,
do you use FXAA? Its nearly useless in the game. With TAA i dont really have a problem with Turf and aliasing.

Of course not(always using TAA over anything else), try switching between normal and turf grass and move the camera around. You'll see ghosting and temporal aliasing with turf.

Clukos,
do you use FXAA? Its nearly useless in the game. With TAA i dont really have a problem with Turf and aliasing.

Although some on Resetra are complaining about TAA unless used at higher resolutions.

Regarding Turf, looks like one needs to edit the FF XV config file manually to get it to behave like the original demo presentation and with greater interraction and deformation.

Is native 4K not high enough? :p
bah your so resolution master race :)
I think their comments/experience were more directed at 1080p and 1440p, but oh man seems people's experience are all over the place with this game.

Separately and a consideration-trend going forward quite a dilemma if one is looking at monitors, try for higher fps (above 60fps closer to 90-120fps) at 1440p or go with 4k and max settings with frame paced 30fps and other times for relevant games 60fps with lowered setting.

Last edited:
Durante prefers VXAO implementation to the games SSAO: https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...performance-thread.27680/page-19#post-5351643
Posts of interest 920 and 923.
Also a few others agree that SSAO is causing artifacts.

In theory, yes. In practice, VXAO is overlaid on top of already existing AO so the screen-space culling "artifacts" remain. I guess just using VXAO requires a lot of work instead of whatever they are doing for RotTR/FFXV, but it could look better. And I think the implementation in RotTR looks a lot better than HBAO+ (which is missing in FFXV).

Worth noting he says specifically how SSAO is used with FF XV:
Some would say that you can still combine it with a screen-space technique to catch small-scale occlusion, but personally I do not do that in FFXV. I feel like their built-in SSAO is also set up primarily for larger-scale occlusion rather than details, and consequently has severe artifacts/inconsistencies in many situations (i.e. large "halos" removing static scene AO around characters). So I use VXAO only in this game

Last edited:
AAAUUUGGGGHHHHH, so many things about this game make me want to pull my hair out!

On a map you'd think to zoom in and zoom out, you'd use the mouse wheel. Nope, that's a stupid idea, use it to scroll menu items instead. @#%@#$@%@#$ I was hoping I'd just get used to this retarded way to do things, but nope, still annoying as hell.

And those #$@#ing Empire dropships. Trying to do missions and every 20 feet (very small exaggeration) another one pops up to drop soldiers on you. Try to do a side mission? Expect to have soldiers dropped on you while doing the #$%#ing mission. Do a side mission (hunt) a few levels above you which means it'll take a little while? Kill all the soldiers that get dropped on you during the fight? Expect more drops of soldiers before the fight is over. AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH.

I like the challenge of doing a hunt that is 5+ levels higher than me, but holy shit is it annoying to also have to deal with the gdamn soldier drops constantly while trying to do it.

And want to roam around at night? Well, prepare for random demon encounters every 20 feet (again slight exaggeration) and on top of that...you guessed it...soldier drops on top of the random demon encounters.

Good game marred by some incredibly stupid game design choices.

Regards,
SB

they were animated with physics like toned-down versino of dead or alive boob physics in the old videos. probably SQEX disabled it for some reason for the release version.

EDOT: the NPC still have boob physics

Finally got to this part of the game and seems like it's been removed or turned down so much that it isn't noticeable. Which is very bizarre. It can't be a sexual exploitation thing because those same models have the pants so far down you see the women's butt cracks. It can't be that the physics are too taxing, it's on PC for with much beefier hardware. It's just extremely bizarre.

Regards,
SB

AAAUUUGGGGHHHHH, so many things about this game make me want to pull my hair out!

On a map you'd think to zoom in and zoom out, you'd use the mouse wheel. Nope, that's a stupid idea, use it to scroll menu items instead. @#%@#$@%@#$ I was hoping I'd just get used to this retarded way to do things, but nope, still annoying as hell.

And those #$@#ing Empire dropships. Trying to do missions and every 20 feet (very small exaggeration) another one pops up to drop soldiers on you. Try to do a side mission? Expect to have soldiers dropped on you while doing the #$%#ing mission. Do a side mission (hunt) a few levels above you which means it'll take a little while? Kill all the soldiers that get dropped on you during the fight? Expect more drops of soldiers before the fight is over. AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH.

I like the challenge of doing a hunt that is 5+ levels higher than me, but holy shit is it annoying to also have to deal with the gdamn soldier drops constantly while trying to do it.

And want to roam around at night? Well, prepare for random demon encounters every 20 feet (again slight exaggeration) and on top of that...you guessed it...soldier drops on top of the random demon encounters.

Good game marred by some incredibly stupid game design choices.

Regards,
SB

Quickly learn magic mixing and create an area thunder grenade .

It what makes the game bearable for me

As the grenade one hit kill most soldiers group

Back