an encyclopedia of Switch's defects?

I'd assume most Swicth owners wisened up and bought a screen protector. Dock scratching issues or not, it's a plastic screen after all, so you're almost bound to run into scratching problems eventually.
Yes. It's also a Nintendo family trait. Launch 3DS had the same problem after all. People should have just simply expected it. It's their fault if they didn't buy a screen protector and scratched their screen.

I'd assume most Swicth owners wisened up and bought a screen protector. Dock scratching issues or not, it's a plastic screen after all, so you're almost bound to run into scratching problems eventually.
Have a screen protector on the front but got scratches at the back of the body. The touching with dock when putting it Olin or out of dock is bound to happen. Scratching is unavoidable.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

For $300 you get a plastic screen on these? Yikes. I had one tablet with a plastic screen and yeah you couldn't use it without scratching it.

I've never understood that. If it was me, I'd have a replaceable glass screen that you could sell replacements for at a tidy mark-up. It could be cut perfectly and fit a magnetic mount or something, offering a better experience than after-market solutions.

For $300 you get a plastic screen on these? Yikes. I had one tablet with a plastic screen and yeah you couldn't use it without scratching it.

It's Nintendo being Nintendo basically. A glass screen may remain pretty, but the more flexible plastic one on the switch is certainly less prone to shattering. My guess is they'd rather deal with 12 million complaints about scratched screens than with one complaint about a shattered one that's become useless. For what it's worth, the aftermarket solutions are quite good. You can barely tell I have a tempered glass screen on mine. Cuts down on reflections a wee bit as well.

Glass is a better thermal conductor than plastic so is better for heat dissipation. But it wouldn't make any real difference anyway. Heat is exhausted out the top of Switch and works even when docked between plastic insulators front and back.

It's Nintendo being Nintendo basically. A glass screen may remain pretty, but the more flexible plastic one on the switch is certainly less prone to shattering. My guess is they'd rather deal with 12 million complaints about scratched screens than with one complaint about a shattered one that's become useless. For what it's worth, the aftermarket solutions are quite good. You can barely tell I have a tempered glass screen on mine. Cuts down on reflections a wee bit as well.
Yeah the durability aspect is reasonable. Surviving the treatment that would crack a glass screen. Kids love to drop and throw portables. Safety might even be a consideration.

I've never understood that. If it was me, I'd have a replaceable glass screen that you could sell replacements for at a tidy mark-up. It could be cut perfectly and fit a magnetic mount or something, offering a better experience than after-market solutions.

Apple did this on earlier iMac designs, it was a bad idea that they abandoned because you're purposely engineering a separation point that will unavoidably introduce a void to which dust particles are attracted by static electricity and next to impossible to remove without a vacuum chamber and/or damaging the LCD surface. Once you remove it the first time, it's all downhill.

Good in theory, terrible in practice. Plastic scratches but a removable screen would be worse. Apple has since shifted engineering to every-closer unified panels to combat the problem, both in Mac and iOS devices.

The problem can't be any worse than stick-on tempered glass screens which 1) are very popular for lots of devices and 2) are buggers to keep completely free of dust when putting on!

The problem can't be any worse than stick-on tempered glass screens which 1) are very popular for lots of devices and 2) are buggers to keep completely free of dust when putting on!

Stick on screens can at least be removed and you can carefully clean the original screen. Better would be a better quality screen to start with! I've had a Switch since day one and move it in my backpack and it's scratch free thus far but I accept I may just be lucky My PSP and Vita screens are also, still, scratch free and I think they're also plastic.

Maybe I'm very lucky, or maybe just being careful goes a long way! :yes:

Screen protectors are a pain, mine has a ton of dust under it but I don't really notice while playing and since I didn't get it right after trying 10 times I decided to just stick with it until I can be bothered to try again.

But yeah I do think a lot of people just aren't very careful with their stuff. Just look at how many people there are with phones that look like they threw it from the 10th floor. 20 times. Even in first couple of posts on that reddit thread there are a bunch of people mentioning they dropped it a couple of times.

for those that saying screen protector are a pain, you use the plastic or the glass?

in my personal experience, the glass is much easier to cleanly install

I've had zero problems getting the glass onto the Switch. Applied them 3 times now. Twice to my own Switch (my first glass protector somehow absorbed a ton of blue light and made the games look all yellow as a result) and once to my gf's. Worked perfectly every time.

Back