What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved XBC2 as well. More so than its much revered predecessor even. I didn't really get all the complaints about the way the game looked in portable mode either. Sure, it's not the Switch game with the best iq, but just as I didn't really mind Golden Abyss's non-native res on the Vita, I didn't particularly mind XBC2's slightly fuzzy iq either. It still looked gorgeous and mostly ran without a hitch too. Certainly a game I'd pick over FFXV any day of the week. The rng way of obtaining the rare blades can be infuriating, though. Especially since they are bound to the driver you used to pull 'em out of the core crystal.
Little Tip for your man, London-boy: never use Rex (the main character) when drawing blades.

I also enjoyed Divinity 2 : Dragon Knight Saga
its 3rd person aka oblivion not isometric like the other divinity games
it doesnt seem to get as much love as the normal divinity games

Been shooting up Nazis in Wolfenstein: New Colossus, and it's pretty good so far. I'm a few levels in, probably less than 25% I'd think considering I haven't made contact with any of the Merican resistance cells so far.

Graphics is really good, and performance is crazy good considering how nice everything looks. Does Wolf's engine (ID Tech 6 wozzit?) support multiadapter/"crossfire" under vulkan API? Because fans on my Vega boards don't spin up at all while playing, if I cap FPS at 60, and that's really rather impressive if it's only running on one GPU. And that's 1440P rez with every damn slider whacked up to max btw. This game really dials it up to 11, technically.

Well, almost anyway. Sometimes FPS stutters for just a moment for no reason, then it's rock solid 60fps again. Seems to happen when turning to view a new area or an area that has been out of sight for a while. Oh well. It's nothing that hinders gameplay I'd say.

Civ6 Rise and fall expansion. The new loyalty, golden ages and emergencies are very interesting. The historic timeline is a fantastic addition even though it is just a recording of what you did at a certain point, but it tells the story of your civ which is pretty awesome.

I just beat Tomb Raider: Underworld. Such a great game! One of my favourite Tomb Raider games, even though I'm a fanatic of the classic TR games. It's Tomb Raider, after all.

In comparison to the other games in this second series, it's way better than Legend, in my opinion (Legend was way too simplistic and on-rails for my taste), while preserving the core and the spirit of this saga. In comparison to other games, it surely lacks the superattention to detail and the refinement we could see in the Uncharted saga, but the levels boast a grandeur that has nothing to envy of other games, and the scale of those special, ancient sites is so well achieved, also thanks to the good graphics (I don't know why, but the rainy jungle in Southern Mexico was so amazing! I could feel the wet stone). Sure, I miss the complexity of the classics, whose levels were full of levers, key-locked doors, millimetric platforming and some well placed scare-jumps, but overall, it's a good adventure/action game. I miss the walk button, too, btw! :D

Now I will move on to the "new" Tomb Raider, the reboot. Initial mixed feelings: excitement for the novelty, but sad because it's not the same Lara who I love.

EDIT: I forgot to say that I was a bit disappointed by the ending. Oh, and about the good graphics, I loved the look of the material in Amanda's jacket, haha!

Last edited:
No One Lives Forever! Found out it and NOLF2 are abandonware now and couldn't believe it, grabbed 'em both and got AA working in NOLF and have been enjoying the hell out of replaying an old memory. The game aged well! Well, mebbe not the graphics so much but the humor and charm shine through. :)

Happy-happy, joy-joy! I IS GAMING!!!! :D

No One Lives Forever!
Been wanting to try those games out since like 1985, at least... That and TRON, whatever it was called. It was supposed to be really good I heard way way back.

But abandonware? Is that really a thing?! :D I mean, copyrights last like 1000 million billion years after the original creator/holder's date of death these days... Or do you simply mean there isn't any outlet selling these games anymore?

Don't Starve Together, although at 3 players it's really tough and a bit depressing...
Might move on to something a bit brighter ^^

Have been playing Subnautica, taking a break from World of WarPlanes.
Its my first Survival game, have been wanting to have a go at one for a while, saw some vids & it seemed pretty neat.
It is pretty neat :yes:

I like that its a game that doesn't involve a lot of killing (a fair bit of fish killing/eating with hunger enabled but you can setup edible plant gardens to become a vegetarian).
Underwater setting is interesting & I like the clean curvy base style.

Downside is the big scary sea monsters does absolutely no good for my semi-latent fear of big scary sea monsters, went for a swim the other day & was more freaked than ever :runaway: even though I know full well there is essentially 0 risk.

Since I just got a Xbox One, I'm playing five things at once.

Doom - Too soft. RAGE on 360 looks better than this. Big disappointment in visuals and gameplay.
Deus Ex Mankind Divided - I like it. The rest of the world shrugged on this title, I guess.
Forza Horizon 3 + Hot Wheels - Awesome timesink.
Sunset Overdrive - Only just started. Too soon to opine.
Vanquish (It's BC now. It's been on my 360 shelf for ages, but I've never bothered to play it.) - Convoluted controls, but simple gameplay. Fun so far.

Tomb Raider (2013 reboot, PS3). Even though I'm a big fan of the original formula, which I still miss, I'm loving this game to bits! I'm not even half-way, I guess, but I like it so far. I feel this is a story, and quite a good story! I like the controls, the sense of weight and being in place, and the new survival/open-world approach. I also like the mood. The woods feel alive and the overall mood can be so creepy and anguishing, sometimes!

Graphically, is astounding for a PS3 game. I already played Uncharted and Uncharted 2, and even though this game is less colorful, the textures are very detailed and the materials feel solid and real. The polygonal density is quite good, too (I love the modeling of the twigs and roots over the mossy rocks). The darkness and low contrast can help disguising lower quality assets, too, but most of the time the textures, materials, lighting and geometry are top notch for its time.

Now, onto the negative aspects... So far, the only negative aspect has been the rushed fights with the bow. When the wolves attacked me, it was very difficult for me to turn myself so that I could see where they went, if they were behind me, etc. Since this game bets for a realistic approach, I think some kind of help should have been implemented, since in real life you don't have to use an analog stick to turn yourself around to quickly look in all directions, so that you can aim, while suffering a narrow FOV. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, dunno.

Also, not a negative thing depending on how we see it, but I still miss the old formula, as I said. I miss the accurate and challenging platforming, like having a walking button to go to the very ledge, so that you can perform a clean jump or running jump, or having to keep pressed down the action button while hanging from a ledge (that created a true sense of tension while playing with the old Lara, because you had to be really careful not to release the button, to avoid a dangerous fall). I think that some of these little things can STILL have a place in modern gaming, as well as complex levels full with puzzles and with rooms and places you need to revisit because you just got a key in a remote place. Not everything needs to be changed in order to survive in the gaming industry.

And not everything needs to be realistic in order to survive in the gaming industry, as well. I mean, this game is brilliant... the same way there could be a brilliant new Mario game where the character had realistic proportions and doesn't jump thrice his height.

I also believe that there wasn't a need to create a third canon regarding the origins of the main character. We had the first one which was explained in the first game's manual (Lara survived an airplane crash and after that she discovered her adventurer side) and we also had a young Lara and the Von Croy plot in Tomb Raider IV (which also developed in Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness). Maybe they could have converted some of these stories, in order to keep a consistency, even though this current story is good, IMO.

Abandon Ship.

It's a Rogue Like in the vein of FTL but set in the Age of Sail with a Cthulhu like setting and storyline featuring an absolutely HUGE map.

It's Early Access, so there are some rough edges and some obvious bugs in the quests after the first intro story (which was well done and well paced, IMO).

It's well worth it so far for the intro story alone (about the length of an FTL playthrough) and I'm hoping that the rest of it gets equally polished as it gets a bit repetitive after that. They need more enemy variation and more weapon variation. But it only just now entered early access, so I'm not expecting much from it.

Regards,
SB

Been wanting to try those games out since like 1985, at least... That and TRON, whatever it was called. It was supposed to be really good I heard way way back.

But abandonware? Is that really a thing?! :D I mean, copyrights last like 1000 million billion years after the original creator/holder's date of death these days... Or do you simply mean there isn't any outlet selling these games anymore?
TRON was fantastic, and now that you mention it I gotta go play it again as it'll probably run well on my system too!

I think NOLF is more the "unable to be able to be purchased" technically more than abandonware, but it's the same difference to me as my ethics are a bit more situational and I update them every century or so. :p

Yeah, it's unfortunate that NOLF is stuck in content rights hell with multiple different people and companies claiming ownership of different parts of the game, and basically no one is able to re-release the game.

Regards,
SB

TRON was fantastic, and now that you mention it I gotta go play it again as it'll probably run well on my system too!
There's so many PC games I'm kicking myself I never bought physical copies of back in the day, the entire Ultima series for example, TRON, NOLF, Duke3D, DOOM, Quake and its expansions, all those Lucasgames point-and-clicks and so on. Of course, I wouldn't really have had ROOM for all those huge PC game boxes, lol. My apartment is tiny! Then add my expanding comics collection and also fairly large movie collection - although I did buy an Apple TV the other day to be able to eliminate physical movies from my life at some point. Now I just have to re-buy a couple hundred movies AGAIN! *sigh* :LOL:

Solution, as long as I'm time travelling while daydreaming: I moved into a larger apartment in 1995 (which was last time I moved)! There we go! Problem solved. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back