Astronomy and space exploration

If memory serves, I think it was he was claiming g's were an issue, while stating more severe gforce than BFR would pull on a point to point flight.

Artificial intelligence, NASA data used to discover eighth planet circling distant star

171214141416_1_540x360.jpg

With the discovery of an eighth planet, the Kepler-90 system is the first to tie with our solar system in number of planets. Artist's concept.​

Article.

"The Apollo Guidance Computer ("AGC") was used onboard the Apollo spacecraft to support the Apollo moon landings between 1969 and 1972. This talk explains "everything about the AGC", including its quirky but clever hardware design, its revolutionary OS, and how its software allowed humans to reach and explore the moon."

Didn't understand much about all the nitty gritty bits - which is like...96.3% of this presentation :D - other than it's a seriously hardcore system, thought up by some seriously brilliant people.

I liked the computer wizard laughs heard at two or three specific points where the presenters described the extended banking system and the extended opcodes. That's high level nerd humor... You gotta have respect for that. :p

the boosters landing was a thing of beauty, shed a tear.
Looks like they lost the center booster, WTF land on a ship (*). from what I read they missed the platform by ~10 meters, but even if gets it dead center theres this thing in the ocean called swell.
I guess they do it there cause its where it has to land about there, unless they burn a lot of fuel fighting against its travelling acceleration.
Perhaps better to choose somewhere else to launch from?
Cape Canaveral 28.28" north
Perhaps better somewhere near Broome Australia 18'S with 1000s of km's of desert to the west where you could land, Its a *LOT* closer to the equator
you have a massive port nearby https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Port_Hedland

(*)yes they've managed it before (also failed before)

the boosters landing was a thing of beauty, shed a tear.
Looks like they lost the center booster, WTF land on a ship (*). from what I read they missed the platform by ~10 meters, but even if gets it dead center theres this thing in the ocean called swell.
I guess they do it there cause its where it has to land about there, unless they burn a lot of fuel fighting against its travelling acceleration.

They had enough fuel for the core's landing burn. They ran out of igniter for 2 of the 3 engines. It hit the water 300mph.

That was pretty epic. I remember watching the first launch of the Space Shuttle, if anything this was more impressive.

Its a *LOT* closer to the equator
Quite a lot farther from the factory and refurbishing facilities in Merica though... They'd have to pull up stakes and move much of the enterprise downunder. That's probably not feasible, considering a large portion of the staff wouldn't want to emigrate and so on.

I suppose they could let the booster coast longer, and then land it somewhere in the south americas, but then it'd be a long slow barge trip back home again.

Btw, the twin landings were fuggin epic. Pretty amazing that they both touched down basically within a 2 second window.

Btw, the twin landings were fuggin epic. Pretty amazing that they both touched down basically within a 2 second window.

Considering they started with exactly the same speed a few metres apart and their targets were a few metres apart, and amount of fuel was quite limited, they couldn't really help arriving any other way. Just a matter of ballistics, really.

Back