Seagate 8TB External Game Hub for XBOX One

Rangers

Legend
BTW you're going to need a place to store all those fancy 4K textures. So I present...Seagate Gamedrive 8TB

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/6/12/15781708/seagate-8tb-game-drive-hub-xbox-one

Seagate_Game_Drive_Hub_for_Xbox.0.jpg

OK I wouldn't really buy this, not least because it's white. But it's 199, I had no idea they had 8TB for a consumer friendly price already...

Anyways this looks the same thing but black https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...n0ACO-oEHWDRoCt7Dw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1261838

I was surprised its reasonably priced. The MSRP is anywhere from $199 to $239, depending on which Seagate material you find. I wonder what model hard drive they have internally. Hopefully its not a SMR Archive model so it wont hit any write wall limits if there are a MFT of random writes.

Its a little too wide for my styling tastes.

They have had solid reliability numbers with their latest drives over the past 2 years. Their Archive drives are going strong in my backup server and on many friends main servers running unRAID.

On console you have even less risk as games can be redownloaded and all game saves are saved to the cloud on XBOX.

I've made my experience with the 1-1.5GB Barracudas around 2010 in a NAS. These drives ran into extreme recovering operations during simple things like iTunes streaming causing the NAS to throw them out due missing TLER.

Then they released strange firmware updates which fixed nothing fundamentally. IBM's Deathstar had nothing on these Seagates they sold for a long period.

I'll never ever use Seagate whatsoever anywhere after that experience.

@Nisaaru right, you're still making decisions in 2017 based on ancient information. Seagate has improved drastically since then. Their 4TB drives are pretty solid since 2014, but not as solid as their 8TB drives since 2016.

The typical Seagate External USB3 drives at $180 range use SMR technology, which I wouldnt prefer as my first choice for console use.

Since the next generation games with be about 40 GB-120 GB a piece, considering patches and DLC, the Seagate 8TB External Game Hub allows one comes in handy to the use of digital games.
In fact, why didn’t Microsoft consider using the drive as opposed to the internal xbox x?
Notably, the External Game Hub has a much faster load time compared to the Xbox’s internal HDD. Seagate has improved their HDD and this one is also seasonably priced!

Cost. Consoles ship with the cheapest, nastiest drives the manufacturer can get away with including. The aim is to get to the lowest possible price point.

This is why I have no faith in next-gen consoles coming equipped with SSD. Maybe a hybrid drive, but that's still wishful thinking.

Back