Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2018 - 2020]

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Oh well, there isn't a new Digital Foundry Retro article yet this year, but there will be some soon. However, just to get started, and continuing with a previous discussion on a DF Retro article featuring Sonic, the guys behind the Sonic 2 HD project have updated the game and listened to feedback, improving the art, physics and other elements of the game. Plus they added a new stage, Aquatic Ruin Zone HD!

http://sonic2hd.com/

Team S2HD would like send a huge 'thank you' to everyone who downloaded and played our 2.0 release! Seeing your reactions and messages of support has been an amazing source of joy and encouragement. In particular we would like to thank all of you who have reported any issues or bugs you may be encountering with the demo. Currently a patch is in the works which fixes many of these issues; also included are improved physics, overhauled object art and more. The project has now entered 'phase 3' with work on Aquatic Ruin Zone well under way. You can find some of the relevant concept work for this stage below:

26758249_1552959934741221_3507874566595172209_o.jpg

Last edited:
Bob Wakelin a cover artist who created the cover of some mythic games, has passed away.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-22-legendary-cover-artist-bob-wakelin-passes-away

I didn't know who made the Operation Wolf cover, but in my first computer ever, back in early 1996 a friend of mine brought me a floppy disk with the wonderful Operation Wolf. So addictive! The diskette had a virus though, the virus Galicia (a local virus from where I was born), which did something to the hard drive's MBR and copied itself into diskettes at startup, but fortunately it wasn't very dangerous, although I forgot to remove the Operation Wolf diskette several times and that's how it infected computers, but it was so tough to remember to remove the floppy disk from the computer once you turned it off.

An interesting insight of the great Hideki Kamiya, talking about how difficult the development of Resident Evil 2 was. I had the original on PC, but later played the sequel on my best friend's PlayStation. It was very addictive, also an impressive game, technically wise.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ki-kamiya-remembers-its-turbulent-development

I had a demo disc for Resident Evil 2 and it had a bunch of stuff that wasn’t in the final game. It was great. I hope to see it all revived in Resident Evil 1.5.

I had a demo disc for Resident Evil 2 and it had a bunch of stuff that wasn’t in the final game. It was great. I hope to see it all revived in Resident Evil 1.5.
Wow like what was in the demo?
I had one as well from the UK Official Playstation Magazine but I cant recall anything absent from the final game.
Some time ago there were some people who managed to get access to the 1.5 code and they were trying to reproduce it and finish it

I have no idea about thr progress now, and I really want to try it
https://kotaku.com/raising-the-dead-how-fans-are-trying-to-save-resident-1691235703

Last edited:
I had one as well from the UK Official Playstation Magazine but I cant recall anything absent from the final game.
Some time ago there were some people who managed to get access to the 1.5 code and they were trying to reproduce it and finish it

https://kotaku.com/raising-the-dead-how-fans-are-trying-to-save-resident-1691235703

You were running around outside the police station but what stuck out most (aka I still clearly remember) was a scene with a pile of zombies reaching out at your feet from under a gate. Every time you had to go past you were 110% certain the gate was going to fly open and ~10 zombies were going to spill out onto the street. It was petrifying at the time and never made the final game.

EDIT: @Nesh I think this was it:

Last edited:
You were running around outside the police station but what stuck out most (aka I still clearly remember) was a scene with a pile of zombies reaching out at your feet from under a gate. Every time you had to go past you were 110% certain the gate was going to fly open and ~10 zombies were going to spill out onto the street. It was petrifying at the time and never made the final game.

EDIT: @Nesh I think this was it:

Hmm...I think the Demo misses the cut scenes and the black guy in the police station has been replaced with a normal zombie. Everything else I think is the same?
I think the demo mostly misses stuff than has extra.

Hmm...I think the Demo misses the cut scenes and the black guy in the police station has been replaced with a normal zombie. Everything else I think is the same?
I think the demo mostly misses stuff than has extra.

That must not be the one. I went down the rabbit hole looking for video but no success yet. I just remember the zombies trying to crawl under a rolling shutter like you would see on a storefront.

YouTube here I come!

I'm working away in the background on more episode of DF Retro so thanks for the early topic! I hadn't caught the latest update on S2HD yet either so that looks excellent.

I have some larger scale episodes in the works but also a few smaller scale ones. Hopefully, once the ball gets rolling, it'll be back on a regular schedule.

That was the 40% complete version. There is a reputed 80% complete version out there.

I'm working away in the background on more episode of DF Retro so thanks for the early topic! I hadn't caught the latest update on S2HD yet either so that looks excellent.

I have some larger scale episodes in the works but also a few smaller scale ones. Hopefully, once the ball gets rolling, it'll be back on a regular schedule.
wowwwwwwww, so glad to have you here John. It's our pleasure. That's why I love Beyond3D

Do you know if there is public access?
No, I believe some enthusiasts were trying to broker a deal around 2008 to buy the 80% complete version for several thousand dollars but that fell through for some reason. That may or may not be made up though.

Hoa there, welcome to B3D.

SNES Mini passes 4 million sale. Quite surprising if you ask me.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-01-snes-mini-sales-pass-4m

I thought it would sell squat! Not because the SNES wasn't one of the best consoles ever, if not the best for many, even games technologically "worse" than their Megadrive counterparts, like Aladdin (8Mb SNES version vs 16Mb Megadrive version) turned out to be better on the SNES, despite having less frames of animation and the lack of shiny-shiny stuff the Megadrive version had, which was so hyped at the time and I wanted a Megadrive to play that game but had no money... Thought emulators would make it a bit anachronistic, but I was wrong.

First DF Retro article of the year 2018. John, thanks heaps! The article and the video focus on Powerslave (called Exhumed in Europe). Alas, I missed this game. How could I? Doom was one of my first games, and then Quake, and loved both of them to death, I created maps, completed Quake several times and played against the Reaper AI in local multiplayer... Played and bought the likes of Hexen, Heretic.., Hexen 2.. But this one, I missed.

Quite curious to know that Richard Leadbetter (the DF boss) made a great coverage of the game at the time (dunno if also the game was in the magazine's cover, if I understood the words in the article correctly).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...med-the-brilliant-legacy-of-lobotomy-software

Did anyone here played this game at the time?

Back