PS4 officially Jail Broken!

These things are based on market research. It's neither pro or anti consumers. What I would consider anti-consumer is planned obsolescence, manipulative gambling-style game design. EULA abuses, lying about capabilities, timed exclusives hush money, knowingly releasing broken games to patch later, software patents abuses, online drm for 1p games, etc...

But features development need to provide some gain otherwise they get scrapped if not enough gamers want it enough to shift the market in your direction. Same for game cancellation, people are sad, but people's sadness don't pay for the game development.

We're not talking about new feature development. We're discussing a feature that was already developed and has just been discovered to be arbitrarily gimped of its full functionality in service of forcing users to rebuy their own games. Where does that stand on your list?

We're not talking about new feature development. We're discussing a feature that was already developed and has just been discovered to be arbitrarily gimped of its full functionality in service of forcing users to rebuy their own games. Where does that stand on your list?
Wild conjectures about intent.

. I kept my old ps3 instead which is 100% hardware PS1/2/3. And the demand for BC is mostly during the first few years. Really old games are for collectors (with the old consoles)

It should be obvious looking at sales figures that two-and-a-half-generations-old BC is not moving consoles anymore. Notice how those who suddenly care about BC are all xbox fans. They wouldn't switch to ps4 if it half a halfassed software BC. Let alone PS2 BC.

I think many might also be PAL PlayStation fans given that we never got that hardware PS2 emulation in the PS3, thoes games are now old enough to spark nostalgia.

I would also think some green eyed envy seeing Microsoft's efforts.

MS are running BC as a loss leader it seems. It's a significant undertaking to test and tune every game. If you aren't reselling the games, you are doing it for the sake of goodwill. MS have more invested in this as they want XBox/Live Games to be a platform across devices, and setting the standard that all your old games run, and thus so will future games if you stick with MS, is in their financial interests. Either Sony also do the same loss-leading testing and tweaking of the emulator for the sake of goodwill, or they let it run 'as is' with no quality assurance which would be fairly unprecedented for a supposed high quality console, I think, or they decide the quality isn't enough and the cost to certify games isn't too great, and leave it as is. The latter seems their option. Though these days people may be more accepting of a Beta quality service.

Point being, MS don't show BC is easy and Sony are being cheapskates. MS, who included BC aids into their system, still have a significant undertaking to enable it. Sony testing thousands of games to tune the emulator and let people play their old discs makes no business sense unless they want to change their story to 'PlayStation Forever' and promise BC in future hardware, which they can't do with PS3. I suppose the argument is, if your PS2 games were so important to you, why'd you get rid of your PS2?

Yes and no. It's hard to know whether it is profitable for them or not. There is certainly a cost involved in making BC happen. But considering how much COD: BO X360 sold (enough to chart in NPD) when BC was enabled for it, it may have already paid for itself (the general BC effort, not COD: BO effort in particular) and generated a profit.

We have no way of knowing how well X360/Xbox titles are selling now due to BC getting enabled for them. I'm sure for some it'll be almost non-existent, but for others it may generate more revenue and profit than it cost to enable it for that title.

We also don't know how many people, once BC is enabled, re-buy a title they already own digitally once BC is released for the convenience. I myself do this regularly on Steam. I have boxed copies of many games from when digital wasn't a thing. But whenever a digital version is offered on Steam, I generally rebuy the title even if the physical copy will still work on my machine. The convenience of not having to put in a physical disk can't be discounted.

From what MS are saying, at least WRT X360 titles, the vast majority of them just work. More effort is put into enhancing titles than into making them run correctly now from what I understand. As such while there was a significant cost up front in enabling BC, that cost might be fairly minimal now (certification process).

That said, each one must still go through a certification process internally to ensure that it isn't one of the few cases that require special treatment as that would be a major egg on face moment if they released BC officially for a title and it didn't work or glitched out significantly.

So, Sony's method of making you pay for every title again if you want to play for it on PS4 may get more per title, but MS will likely reap far more good will while still potentially making a profit with each BC title as people have the option to either buy or re-use existing disks.

Regards,
SB

Yep, but at the same time we don't know what MS's returns on those investments would be if invested elsewhere, as previously discussed regards BC. Did MS make more (money and goodwill) enabling BC than Sony made creating HZD, for example?

It's yet to be shown that Sony's emulator is solid enough to be broadly available. If it is, there's a point to them being a bit dickish withholding it. At the moment though people are jumping the gun, underestimating the effort and cost of BC I think.

Yep, but at the same time we don't know what MS's returns on those investments would be if invested elsewhere, as previously discussed regards BC. Did MS make more (money and goodwill) enabling BC than Sony made creating HZD, for example?

That's true, but even if we assume they make Zero USD in new sales of BC titles, it's still a cheap form of advertising that is unlikely to backfire. Just look at all the coverage that it gets at various sites and forums. That advertising is basically free (if you don't consider the cost to enable BC).

I'm not sure that say spending an equivalent amount of money on advertising rather than BC would have generated as much positive advertising as BC has generated. As well, with diverting the money to other projects.

From what it sounds like, the BC while it did take effort, it wasn't anything extraordinary. For example, I'm not sure that the amount of money spent on BC would have made much of a dent in a AAA exclusive game title.

It also could be viewed as a side effect or side project of their overall goal of getting as much software running on as wide a variety of hardware as possible. UWP, realtime x86 to ARM translation, etc. BC might have been a fun diversion for people working on those sorts of things.

Regards,
SB

really...

damn well that changes things.

Does it really?

A GPU mining rig has multiple GPU on 1xmotherboard+ 1xCPU +1xPSU and you have about 10 GPUs or something per rig.
Cost of hw + power consumption + space it takes needs to be factored in. I sincerely doubt a a PS4 or 10x PS4 can compete with a mining rig in anyway.
I doubt that its worth it even if you get the PS4's for free.

Another question, how long did it take for a console to be hacked historically?

I mean does it matter if its 4 years into the product lifecycle and you need a 2 year old firmware on your device to get piracy to work?

Does it really?

A GPU mining rig has multiple GPU on 1xmotherboard+ 1xCPU +1xPSU and you have about 10 GPUs or something per rig.
Cost of hw + power consumption + space it takes needs to be factored in. I sincerely doubt a a PS4 or 10x PS4 can compete with a mining rig in anyway.
I doubt that its worth it even if you get the PS4's for free.
I agree. It's unlikely people will start buying up PS4s for ETH mining.

It's not nearly as efficient for sure but certainly still usable. If my console was mining while I was away, it would pay itself off likely after the year was up. That's free money or a discount anyway you look at it.

And if there happens to be a way to remote access people's PS4s though this method (completely improbable), access to 70 million PS4s mining would be an enormous of power.

It's not nearly as efficient for sure but certainly still usable. If my console was mining while I was away, it would pay itself off likely after the year was up. That's free money or a discount anyway you look at it.
What are the electricty costs for 24/7 operation?

I agree. It's unlikely people will start buying up PS4s for ETH mining.

And if there happens to be a way to remote access people's PS4s though this method (completely improbable), access to 70 million PS4s mining would be an enormous of power.

I doubt that the EHT mining will pay for the electricity the device will pull andthe wear of running 24/7 operation of your PS4, I think you will lose money.

Now if you can hack 70M PS4 to mine for you, that means you basically have no expenses, which means you would probably earn cash. Also might end up in jail, ie the lawyer fees will eat your earnings ;)

if i can use my PS4 when idle to mine, that would be good.

heck, i used to d F@H on PS3

You mean idle mode like background download where the GPU probably is not used? I doubt you will be able to do it and have anything resembling a meaningful hash rate. Does the idle mode/background download run on the ARM or the APU?

I have a friend that mines and basically he uses his 30 GPU rig to warm his basement. Instead of powering heaters, he powers his mining rigs. There is also some noise, a lot if you ask his wife :D
He said he made about 900 USD per month on that, but he has then bought 30 GPUs and would use the same amount of electricity to heat his basement anyway. If we say his rig cost him 15K USD, it would take about 1.5 years to break even. What is the MTBF number on a GPU?

You mean idle mode like background download where the GPU probably is not used? I doubt you will be able to do it and have anything resembling a meaningful hash rate. Does the idle mode/background download run on the ARM or the APU?
Idle mode runs on ARM. Background download runs on the SOC and consumes 70 watts.

Now if you can hack 70M PS4 to mine for you, that means you basically have no expenses, which means you would probably earn cash. Also might end up in jail, ie the lawyer fees will eat your earnings ;)
Probably make cash?
lol. Even at 6x worse performance than a 1070, that's still 10 million 1070s mining!
I dunno about you but that's easily millions of dollars per day

Aren't we at the thin end of the wedge as far as get rich quick cryptocurrency mining is concerned? I heard the energy consumption for mining bitcoin is akin the energy consumption of the whole of Denmark.

it may be an interesting stuff Sony can officially introduce on a new firmware... cripto mining for paying the Playstation Plus & Videogames... You put the console in a special "sleep mode"

PS3 was all about Folding@Home to cure disease for the betterment of humanity. The introduction of cryptocurrency has instead turned everyone's interest in high-end computing to making money doing nothing-in-particular. Another great win for Society.

PS3 was all about Folding@Home to cure disease for the betterment of humanity. The introduction of cryptocurrency has instead turned everyone's interest in high-end computing to making money doing nothing-in-particular. Another great win for Society.

Hey, it also enables anonymous purchasing of sex and drugs! I mean, so I've heard....

OT: a guy I read about on twitter bought 1,500 bitcoins at $2.79 each in (I believe) 2007.

Think about that.

He was randomly giving a few bitcoins from his stash away that day to people on twitter. For the heck of it.

OT: a guy I read about on twitter bought 1,500 bitcoins at $2.79 each in (I believe) 2007.

Think about that.

He was randomly giving a few bitcoins from his stash away that day to people on twitter. For the heck of it.
Find that tweet! Lol

Back