All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2018 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

iroboto

Daft Funk
Legend
Supporter
Willing to predict a lot more sales of 4Pro and X1X over the next little while. Both of these consoles are already performing at a better price/performance cost ratio over PC. But with the recent surge in pricing for ram and GPUs (I'm part of the problem sorry), cryptocurrency mining is making PC price/performance ratio significantly in favor of the consoles. Those that cannot wait for the prices to come down while desiring 4K graphics could likely look for a mid gen upgrade as being very tempting at this point in time.

Willing to predict a lot more sales of 4Pro and X1X over the next little while. Both of these consoles are already performing at a better price/performance cost ratio over PC. But with the recent surge in pricing for ram and GPUs (I'm part of the problem sorry), cryptocurrency mining is making PC price/performance ratio significantly in favor of the consoles. Those that cannot wait for the prices to come down while desiring 4K graphics could likely look for a mid gen upgrade as being very tempting at this point in time.

Annecdotally, one of my friends that's been planning a new PC build since Ryzen was announced recently went to go buy everything.

Then he ran into a problem. RAM is now twice as much as when he originally priced the computer parts and GPUs are either hard to get or much higher priced than he was expecting them to be.

So, he's putting off building a new PC hoping the Cryptocurrency boom dies down more.

Regards,
SB

Amazon has settled down post holidays. Two base PS4s in top 40, Xbox (@ $229) just out of top 40. PS4P just above XBX.

People just want the cheapest entry price, premium products are premium.

Amazon has settled down post holidays. Two base PS4s in top 40, Xbox (@ $229) just out of top 40. PS4P just above XBX.

People just want the cheapest entry price, premium products are premium.
indeed. I was in my commentary, foolishly responding to the idea of if you want 4K you should get a PC and not a mid gen refresh (that honestly doesn't echo too much in our forums), but barrier entry price is still going to be the largest driver for sales.

So, just because I was bored.

Amazon US, January 2018 bestsellers so far.

Sony is killing it with the gift cards
  • #1 - 20 USD card
  • #2 - 10 USD card
  • #10 - 50 USD card
Nintendo is killing it with the software.
  • #3 - Super Mario Odyssey
  • #5 - The Legend of Zelda BOTW! Nintendo is just printing cash with this one.
  • #8 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
The only other game title in the top 20? Monster Hunter world for PS4 at #6 being outsold by Legend of Zelda.

Nintendo LABO falls just outside of the top 20 at #22!

Nintendo is also doing well with the console hardware.
  • #9 - Neon Switch
  • #13 - Super NES Classic
  • #35 - PS4 Slim
  • #42 - XBO-S Hot Wheels bundle
  • #51 - PS4 Slim Battlefront 2 bundle
  • #66 - PS4-P
  • #68 - XBO-X
  • #86 - XBO-S
Nintendo Switch Gray version is completely sold out as of Jan, 21st. Nintendo Switch Neon version is ONLY available for Prime Members as of Jan. 21st. Looks like there is a Nintendo Switch shortage at Amazon. Checked Gamestop for the hell of it, and the Gray version is now only available in bundles and not stand alone. At Walmart Gray version is only available from 3rd parties. So looks like a slight supply issue with the Switch which is kind of surprising.

If that continues expect Switch ranking to drop as the month goes by.

XBO-X and PS4-P are virtually tied with the PS4-P selling a bit better. The XBO-X appears to be selling much better relative to the base XBO than the PS4-P is relative to the base PS4.

VR
  • #63 - Oculus Rift + Touch - I can't believe it is charting that well.
PSVR isn't charting. Vive isn't charting, but not surprising as it's lost a lot of momentum to the Rift over the past few months. And Vive Pro announcement probably makes people hesitate when looking at the Vive. Also the Vive is 33% more expensive than the Rift (599 USD vs. 399 USD).

No idea why PSVR isn't doing better considering how much Sony continues to focus on pushing VR at all their shows.

Dark Souls Remastered pre-orders.
  • #40 Switch version
Not terribly surprising that PS4 and XBO remastered versions aren't charting as the regular versions are available on the console. But I do find it surprising that Dark Souls remastered for the Switch is charting so well.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Sony is killing it with the gift cards
Well, that was always the case for US cards.

I live in Eastern Europe, and almost everyone I know that has PS4 purchases games via US PSN [60$ US game costs 11€ less than 60€ EU game]. To do that, they are purchasing lots and lots of PSN top-up cards.

Last edited:
It seems that every time I start up YouTube, there's an Oculus Rift advert - even if I'm watching it on the PSVR. Maybe it's paying off?

After the excellent Black Friday deals for PSVR, I'm not surprised it's not charting at Amazon in the month where everyone's skint. If it keeps failing in February onwards though, then that's concerning for the platform.

If that's the case, maybe the best thing Sony could do is focus on making it PC compatible too?

I really hope the X1X keeps selling well. I'm not really interested in the MS ecosystem for the most part - although I'm probably going to get the inevitable 7nm X1XS for some of its exclusives* - but the Pro, whilst passable, is only that. I prefer MS's approach to the mid-gen console, particularly its extra memory and bandwidth, and I want Sony to learn that an extra few dollars BOM for an extra couple of GB of memory is worthwhile.

* It occurred to me whilst typing this, that some of the XB1/X1X exclusives are now current generation exclusives purely by virtue of backwards compatibility. Red Dead Redemption, for example, can only be played on a legacy console with perceivable hardware and software shortcomings (whether the X360 or, to a greater extent, the PS3,) or on one of MS's current consoles.

There's another lesson I hope Sony learn.

I
It occurred to me whilst typing this, that some of the XB1/X1X exclusives are now current generation exclusives purely by virtue of backwards compatibility.

I don't think you said what you meant to say.

I think some of you have some wild expectations for PSVR, Sony's are much more realistic and I think they are exceeding them.

I don't think you said what you meant to say.

I think some of you have some wild expectations for PSVR, Sony's are much more realistic and I think they are exceeding them.

They’ve committed to almost doubling the software for the platform in the next year. I’m not sure Sony would be doing that if their expectations weren’t being met.

The only other game title in the top 20? Monster Hunter world for PS4 at #6 being outsold by Legend of Zelda.

Regards,
SB
That was only with preorders though. Monster Hunter world is now 4th, just behind Mario Odyssey.

Soon it's going to be the best selling game of 2018 on Amazon. I think this game is going to sell a lot this year worldwide. Last time a MH game was on a PS console was on PS2.

MHW is doing really really well in Japan too (already sold-out in many stores apparently). It's literally a PS4 / Pro system seller over there.

I can't wait to play the game...on my new flashy limited edition Monster Hunter Pro... :mrgreen:

Last edited:
That was only with preorders though. Monster Hunter world is now 4th, just behind Mario Odyssey.

Soon it's going to be the best selling game of 2018 on Amazon. I think this game is going to sell a lot this year worldwide. Last time a MH game was on a PS console was on PS2.

MHW is doing really really well in Japan too (already sold-out in many stores apparently). It's literally a PS4 / Pro system seller over there.

I can't wait to play the game...on my new flashy limited edition Monster Hunter Pro... :mrgreen:
you have my interest piqued on this one. Will wait for reviews, I've never seen the series before so I'm interested to see how this one plays.

Slow day again. A slight update with new rankings for Jan. 2018 on Amazon US.

Monster Hunter PS4 pre-order is now at #3 sweet. Just wish PC version wasn't delayed until fall.

Nintendo LABO moves into the top 20 at #19! That's pretty sweet for what is effectively a hobbyist type "thing"?

Nintendo Switch Neon is falling down the ranking as I suspected due to limited supply.

Nintendo Switch Neon is now listed as temporarily out of stock. Nintendo Switch Gray is now listed as no stock until Jan. 27th. You can still get them from 3rd party sellers without scalping prices so, supply isn't bad like it was last summer. However, it's an interesting supply hiccup in one of the slowest months of the year

Normally if you're going to have a shortage due to the Holiday season, you start the Jan. with no supply. But this is strange in that they had supply at the start of the month but no supply at the end of the month.

I kind of makes me wonder if they only had a short term burst of manufacturing for the Holiday season and they've cut production too much for normal production.

Regards,
SB

you have my interest piqued on this one. Will wait for reviews, I've never seen the series before so I'm interested to see how this one plays.
If you wanted to be a bit snide, it’s a grinding game which is about...grinding.
The gameplay videos tell the story - those fights are all there is. You fight mosters to get stuff to build gear to fight more monsters to build gea.....
There is no aim or point to it unless you enjoy that kind of thing. If you do, the MH games have tradition and integrity in that particular field. But there is good reason why the series have never been terribly popular outside Japan where cooperative Monster Hunting has helped drive adoption. (Physically gathering with portables for local co-op.)

Last edited:
If you wanted to be a bit snide, it’s a grinding game which is about...grinding.
The gameplay videos tell the story - those fights are all there is. You fight mosters to get stuff to build gear to fight more monsters to build gea.....
There is no aim or point to it unless you enjoy that kind of thing. If you do, the MH games have tradition and integrity in that particular field. But there is good reason why the series have never been terribly popular outside Japan where cooperative Monster Hunting has helped drive adoption. (Physically gathering with portables for local co-op.)

Basically, but to add to this for Monster Hunter.

If you really enjoy long and extended boss fights with sometimes multiple mechanics this is a great game.

If you love grinding bosses over and over for the RNG body drops in order to craft weapons and armor, this is the game for you. I have a friend to got so unlucky with one body part that they had to kill the monster something like 50-75 times (representing somewhere between 20-30 hours) just to get that one body part.

That is the basic gameplay loop. There's some minor other things like a very thin story, some light comedy elements, and simplistic fishing (another grind).

Regards,
SB

GOAT.png

What are the chances for 2018? :) Switch is on the roll, but we don't know much about its software. On the other hand, PS4 already has great lineup announced.

hmm thanks for the insight. Reminds me of the original FF Online MMORPG. Where they basically had this crazy grind to fight mobs that drop tokens for summoning, and then those mobs drop tokens, and enough of those tokens summon the next mob and so forth and it just kept building up from there. A continual reach for harder and harder bosses and continually more impossible to get to the next mob due to all the grinding that comes before it.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/spain-switch-has-already-outsold-xbox-one-ltd.19037/

Switch has already outsold Xbox One LTD in spain

https://www.resetera.com/threads/spanish-video-game-software-sales-2017.19079/

Spanish softare sales 2017

ALL FORMATS TOP 20 (2017)

01. FIFA 18 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 570,000
02. CALL OF DUTY: WWII (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 305,000
03. FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 230,000
04. GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 220,000
05. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO) - 145,000
06. CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 137,000
07. SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (NINTENDO) - 125,000
08. UNCHARTED: THE LOST LEGACY (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 120,000