Let's design a new PSP

If I were sony and want to release a new handheld, I would just build a mid end phones with controllers attachment just like a switch. No need to build the most powerful handheld to go head to head against the switch, just need to price it smart and no more proprietary shit. It should be a switch alternative with full android functionality and psn integration somehow. From a switch owner perspective those are the switch draw back. It is basically carrying a mini tablet with you but offers none of tablet functionalities and bulky. Sony does not have the same software lineup for portable as nintendo but they do have a very successful mobile game divisions. If they can also cut deals with popular mobile dev like granblue unlocking more stuffs from the psp3 version for granblue re link on ps4, trophies etc etc.

A traditional portable game device is doa, their number 1 goal is to build a device for anyone in the market for a mini tablet, mid end smartphones replacement with gaming to go on top. If facebook can build a vr headset with 1080p screen an a s820 hardware for 200usd I am confidence that sony can probably build a psphone/tablet with similar specs or better depending on time of release. They need to stop worrying about their forever shrinking phone market share, if they hit a home run with psphone/tablet they are in a better position than most other android manufacturers that are fighting for scraps.

I have used a xperia c5 ultra before, the body is small enough with 6" full hd screen. The size is ideal for a phone and easy to carry around.

Not calling it Vita 2 should be a requirement. Because Vita should have being called PSP2.

Just call it PSP3 and we have a winner. :yep2:

It'll automatically sell billions.

I doubt it will sell millions, but Sony's stock price will surge. Just look at all the silly companies that mention blockchain and their stocks go up.
Wish I had a company on the stock exchange, I would put out a press release saying our moves within Blockchain looks very promising. Which would mean that we all are refreshing rate.sx to check the price of bitcoin.

the ps4pro APU @ 7nm, very low clocked on the GPU part and at 1.6 ghz on the CPU part, and joined with 8 gb lpddr4 (so the memory controller has to be modified).... ? Imho yes. They have alredy an ARM processor on ps4... Expand that and you can build I kind of PS4-phone.... Target screen resolution is IMHO 720p@30hz

The trouble that I can imagine with that approach is that it would be more expensive to manufacture than the PS4Pro.

So that would set Sony out to compete with Nintendo in the high priced portable space, with a more expensive console. Better performance, but the X1X is proving that a performance gulf doesn't matter.

Given that we've seen the higher spec Raven Ridge APU target a 15W TDP with 10CU's at 14nm, I can imagine OG PS4 level performance should be possible within the next few years, at a reasonable price, within a sensible tablet/laptop total TDP. They'll be able to release that at a time when Nintendo has already blown its Zelda/Mario/Mario Kart/Pokémon/Super Smash Bros loads, meaning they won't be in such an unassailable position as they are now.

That being said, I think it would make more sense for them to use a stripped back PS5 instead of a downclocked Pro:
- The only viable AMD CPU for a PS4 Portable is Zen, which is what we're likely to see in the PS5.
- If the PS5 uses some form of HBM, it's better suited for portable use than GDDR6, and offers more bandwidth than any LPDDR.
- If the PS5 requires PS4 games to go through some sort of conversion process in order to play, then Sony would already have conversion tools at the ready, well developed, and with most PS4 games already done. "Plays 85% of PS4 games, all high profile games" at the launch of the PS5, followed a year or two later by "plays 95% of PS4 games, even Life of the Black Tiger" come the launch of the PS4 Portable, seems like the easiest message to sell to the public.

But that's years away, and I think a cheaper alternative to the Switch would be something they could cobble together quickly, and could be enough to scratch the portable itch of a few million PS4 gamers.

As the Vita was faltering, Sony began to market it mostly as a PS4 accessory. The trouble was that it was quite bad at it. So, I say, there's room for a well suited PS4 accessory... and people could always do with an extra controller.

~2-4GB of LPDDR4 memory paired with a low/mid-range SoC, inside a slightly enlarged DualShock 4, with a 540p screen, for a $150 RRP would be perfect as long as they got the OS and interoperability right.

- Worse performance than the Switch, but if you want great performance, load it up on your PS4/Pro, because every portable game would be compatible with the PS4 and above, with enhanced graphics.

- If the PS4 can emulate it with under half or a quarter of its resources, any portable game can be splitscreen multiplayer on the PS4/Pro.

- For over 70 million PS4 owners: spend ~$80 on a DualShock 4, or $150 on one that also plays games on its own. Also, buy into a whole new console and ecosystem with the Switch for $250 if you want portability, or stay with your current platform for $150.

but if don't would want to engage the handheld marked again, then that's what they would need to focus on. Nintendo prove, that they can take some existing hardware (shield devices) that had barely success and make it a hit.
Sony on the other side releases a few high class titles and then nearly abandons their devices. They need a release day GranTurismo, Horizon Zero Dawn etc.

Assuming they'd go that way, the hardware decision would be pretty clear: some cut down PS4.

Toe-to-toe, I doubt Sony or anyone else can compete with Nintendo in the handheld space because of the software. Nintendo handhelds totally nail the games people want to play, time and again.

I'm curious to see where the Switch's software ecosystem will be in 2-3 years. the 3DS was handheld console and most games were tuned for handheld play. Having had a Switch since launch I would argue fervently that the same is not the case for Switch.

Publishers and developers have a dilemma with Switch because they don't know what percentage of the market want games that are more suited to handheld play or games which are more suited to bigscreen play, along with how many of each type want what types of games. While some games or genres work on both, there's not been a lot of cross over which is why the 3DS software catalogue has never looked like the PlayStations.

Interesting times ahead.. :yes:

Back