Is free 950 going to improve over 570?

Sxotty

Legend
As title says. It looks like kind of a wash, but who knows I guess. A friend offered their old 950 to me. Darn bit coin anyway...

Why don't you accept it, and see if there's an improvement? If not, you could always give the card back...

The 950 has more compute power but less memory bandwidth. I'm not sure about texel and pixel fillrate... a quick search gave conflicting results. The 950 also has a lot lower power consumption and better driver support since the 570 is on this nvidia page: http://www.nvidia.com/page/legacy.html ... notice the legacy in the url. The 950 did have a higher frame rate in bioshock infinite and 3dmark from my quick search. So I would say it should be a win in at least some applications.

You are of course right Grall, but some other soul might need it somewhere and I meet be keeping it out of their hands. I was hoping it would keep at bay the desire to upgrade, but if it is a wash that is unlikely.

Infinisearch you of course are correct about the legacy thing, but it honestly plays ok still. It is shocking to me that a computer as old as mine 2500k and 570 still seems to do fine with 1080p display. I am hoping to pick up a 1440 or 4k display with HDR and freesync/gsync, but at this point I am tempted to wait and see if nvidia/amd support HDMI 2.1 so that they can support either maker. I am annoyed nvidia will not support freesync and has their proprietary solution.

Well I put it in and then my computer started crashing constantly :(

Event 41 Kernel-power
I hate to give up on it b/c I always hate to, vacuumed the case out and put a heat sink on the CPU that was sitting in a closet for a two years. Put the 570 back in and it is way more stable (though I did have one crash which is atypical). Only thing I can think is that I loosened one of the connectors for power or something when i installed it (they plug into the PSU). The 570 takes two and the 950 takes one so perhaps that is possible. Maybe if one was jiggled loose during the install, or if they 950 draws more from the motherboard it would explain it perhaps. Or maybe my stuff is just too old and dying slowly, but something about the 950 install definitely set off.

Sorry to hear that... was hoping to hear good things about the 950. Were you unstable in the desktop or games? Also did you try uninstalling gpu drivers (preferably with ddu) and reinstalling them after you install the 950?

Or maybe my stuff is just too old and dying slowly, but something about the 950 install definitely set off.
That's depressing... :( Sorry to hear!

Also did you try uninstalling gpu drivers (preferably with ddu) and reinstalling them after you install the 950?
Oh, this, absolutely! Unless display driver is uninstalled prior to GPU upgrade the computer/driver can get mighty confuzzled by switching/upgrading to one GPU to another from the same manufacturer. Happened to me with my AMD vegas, on two different PCs. Driver re-install fixed things - I used the 'clean upgrade' option from within the driver itself.

The computer could not come out of sleep. Then I disabled sleep but it continued crashing. Never even got to try a game. I did clean driver install, but I will put the 950 back in sometime and let you know if the power or driver had something to do with it.

I got sucked into the vortex of sequences on a home improvement project though so it will be a bit. Found a cracked joist booo

I got sucked into the vortex of sequences on a home improvement project though so it will be a bit. Found a cracked joist booo
That sounds serious... good luck. Post back if you get the 950 working, I'm always interested in how to fix computer problems.

So it took a bit to get to this again, picked up a new PSU and then put 950 back in. Everything seems to be working perfect now. Computer has been on for 5 days straight with no issues. It seems clear my old PSU was just going bad. Now if only bitcoin would crash more I could upgrade my CPU as well. Getting antsy, but I guess I will wait till Ryzen 2 at least.

Cant say I have. Not very scientific, but the last thing I bench marked was a amd 6 core processor like 6 years ago when rage came out. The 950 seems a wash. I did not notice any real difference in games, but it is working and that is a plus.

The 950 should range from a little to a lot faster than a 570. Should never be slower.

Back