Amazon Prime is even shittier than Netflix

Today I thought lets sign up for Amazon Prime. The world has never seen a bigger pile of shit. You'd think that a company that makes billions of dollars a year could afford to higher one or two programmers/designers that aren't complete fucking idiots but I guess not.

I'm sure everybody has used Netflix once or twice. That app isn't perfect, the interface is designed by a moron making it hard to find what you want and efficiently managing the shows you are watching/want to follow is impossible. But if you can live with that it works and even an idiot can watch a movie.

Now enter Amazon Prime. You couldn't make an app as utterly shit as this if you tried. It didn't take 5 minutes for the creatures that created this steaming pile of diarrhea to become #1 on my shit list.

So just how fucking stupid is this app?

1. You can't change the interface language. Yep, its that fucking stupid.
2. Everything has to load. Whatever you pick it has to load. This is on a Shield TV so specs aren't the problem.
3. No subtitle options. Are you fucking kidding me? Example: I want to watch the grand tour. I can select English, no options for subtitles. Okay... start playing the fucking thing and I get Japanese subs that I can't turn off.

It pretty much fails at every thing a media player app (or whatever you want to identify this as) has to do. Are the idiots that worked on this even capable of writing their own fucking names? Because I highly fucking doubt it.
It's also the buggiest piece of crap ever. On any paltform I've tried it on (PS4, Sony TVs, Panasonic TVs, everything) it locks up, fails to load certain videos randomly, on top of being slow etc etc. Shittiest.

That's not quite as relevant if one is h264 and the other is h265.
True, but even from my sofa the difference in quality is stark and very apparent.

4k stuff on Amazon if far higher quality, neither of my TVs has HDR so no big deal if some of the content doens't support it, but things I have watched have been identified as HDR UltraHD when playing.

Had some real holy shit moments with 4K on Amazon, normally the landscape shots in the Grand Tour to be fair. Never really felt that way from any netflix stuff.

Last edited:
Today I thought lets sign up for Amazon Prime. The world has never seen a bigger pile of shit. You'd think that a company that makes billions of dollars a year could afford to higher one or two programmers/designers that aren't complete fucking idiots but I guess not.

I'm sure everybody has used Netflix once or twice. That app isn't perfect, the interface is designed by a moron making it hard to find what you want and efficiently managing the shows you are watching/want to follow is impossible. But if you can live with that it works and even an idiot can watch a movie.

Now enter Amazon Prime. You couldn't make an app as utterly shit as this if you tried. It didn't take 5 minutes for the creatures that created this steaming pile of diarrhea to become #1 on my shit list.

2. Everything has to load. Whatever you pick it has to load. This is on a Shield TV so specs aren't the problem.
3. No subtitle options. Are you fucking kidding me? Example: I want to watch the grand tour. I can select English, no options for subtitles. Okay... start playing the fucking thing and I get Japanese subs that I can't turn off.

It pretty much fails at every thing a media player app (or whatever you want to identify this as) has to do. Are the idiots that worked on this even capable of writing their own fucking names? Because I highly fucking doubt it.
Amazon in general is not as good as people think. Firstly, they dont accept Paypal -well, that's not the biggest issue ever, but for someone who dont use a credit card, like me, that's a pitty-, and secondly, there are too many companies working with them, sometimes they just dont keep track.

In addition, their site is not perfectly programmed. Sometimes you search for something and apply a filter, if you apply a second filter the results of the first search get mixed with other products -say you are looking for graphics cards, then you filter them by AMD, then 8GB cards, and in the search some driers appear, or baskets or whatever-

Netflix works well using Edge and my GTX 1070. I opened up Afterburner while Longmire was playing in 4K, Starbuck as a deputy sheriff ftw, and it barely registered much of a hit on the gpu (which kept itself clocked below 1200 MHz), or cpu. They do a nice job of filming that show, though IIRC the first two seasons aren't 4K.
Anyway, here are some Netflix keyboard shortcuts, though I couldn't get the one for "player" to work. Too bad, as I was curious as to codec used. And it seems Netflix likes to cache hard when the video starts. Then it switches to up and down network utilization as it strives to keep the buffer ahead by a steady amount.

http://www.brighthub.com/electronics/home-theater/articles/122697.aspx

Bring Up Audio Video Statistics – Control, Shift, Alt, and D

I used that, and the logging command worked as well.

Bring Up Logging Window – Control, Shift, Alt, and L

I started the final season, no spoilers please! :)

Anecdotally, Prime has a really clunky interface on my old Roku stick, but the service itself works pretty well. I've not encountered too many glitches/problems when watching stuff on there. In comparison, Netflix has a much slicker interface, but seems more likely to crap out during recordings or just refuse to play stuff. How much of this is down to the individual Roku apps I'm not sure.

Amazon prime or amazon prime video ? Prime video is part of your prime subscription along with prime shipping , kindle now , amazon music , twitch prime and a host of other things. its most likely shitty because it gets very few resources and shield tv is very low on the totem pole of what they support it on. I would imagine their tablets and fire sticks get the highest priority followed by samsung's andriod platform and then ios . Other smaller carriers that may have diffrent hardware will get less support. IMO

It’s a bit of a shame because IQ-wise Amazon is untouchable. Just watched the first episode of the second season of The Grand Tour, and its simply the most incredible looking 4K HDR thing I’ve seen on a streaming service. No comparison.

Sorry, I don't understand
Why do you think the processing is different between a browser & a random video player.
I've just tried a random youtube 4k video & netflix 4k and cpu is usage is 5% in both cases under chrome
The browser is just pushing bytes to the gpu which handle the rest.
And even if you force cpu decoding, it's probably using the same code, ffmpeg, in your browser & your random media player.

Because I read a couple threads here that mentioned it.

Here is one of them:
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...m-and-the-impact-on-display-tech.57674/page-2 (Blazkowicz's post)

After reading these, I remember doing some tests on my pc and arriving to the same conclusion.
Doing some search now, there is a lot of complaining of slow performance with streaming videos performance, although in some cases seems to be video encoded in vp9 running in software mode compared to hardware decoded in other case.

Amazon prime or amazon prime video ? Prime video is part of your prime subscription along with prime shipping , kindle now , amazon music , twitch prime and a host of other things. its most likely shitty because it gets very few resources and shield tv is very low on the totem pole of what they support it on. I would imagine their tablets and fire sticks get the highest priority followed by samsung's andriod platform and then ios . Other smaller carriers that may have diffrent hardware will get less support. IMO

Amazon devices are all based on android so I doubt that is the problem. Besides I'm talking about fundamental things such as no option to set the interface language or subtitles.

Because I read a couple threads here that mentioned it.

Here is one of them:
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...m-and-the-impact-on-display-tech.57674/page-2 (Blazkowicz's post)

After reading these, I remember doing some tests on my pc and arriving to the same conclusion.
Doing some search now, there is a lot of complaining of slow performance with streaming videos performance, although in some cases seems to be video encoded in vp9 running in software mode compared to hardware decoded in other case.

It's youtube, a mediocre player, and it's using vp9, a codec with poor or nonexistent hw support. i bet you would get the same results under VLC.
Try Meridian on Netflix, it's 4K at 60 FPS (a tech sample), and here again, 8% cpu usage on my 2012 old computer

I only ever used YouTube and Microsoft videos.

YouTube UX is annoying on PS4. On pc web, it's much better.

Microsoft videos on Xbox 360 is really nice. Especially the kinect voice search.

Too bad some shoes were encoded in wrong rgb range or something. It looks washed out

It's youtube, a mediocre player, and it's using vp9, a codec with poor or nonexistent hw support. i bet you would get the same results under VLC.
Try Meridian on Netflix, it's 4K at 60 FPS (a tech sample), and here again, 8% cpu usage on my 2012 old computer

You might know, but in any case, not always it's vp9. Sometimes there is not even a vp9 version, sometimes the x264 version will be smaller. Anyway I did a test with x264 and vp9 youtube clips with cpu only decoding (probably) on two environments and the difference was big (2-4 times). Can't test a 4K clip though, way beyond my monitor capabilities. Will test with different browser when I find time (Chrome I guess), may test with netflix if they are offering free trial.

its based on andriod but what version is the shield and fire stuff running on.

Amazon devices are based on 5.1 or 7 depending on the device I believe.

Shield TV is based on the latest Android TV which is probably based on some new Android version as well.

So I doubt that has anything to do with the shitty shield tv app.

Edit: I see the app is on Android as well. Installed it and it's even shittier.

Again no option to change the interface language. I tried watching the grand tour and guess what? Only Japanese voice overs and no subtitles!

Avatar? English voices and no subtitles. Good luck with that in Japan.

What a fucking joke.

Back