All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS4 sales surpass 70.6M units sold through. PSVR sales reach 2M

http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2017/171207.html

• PS4 has cumulatively sold through more than 70.6M units to consumers worldwide as of December 3, 2017*1.
    • More than 617.8 million copies*2 of PS4 games have been sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of December 3, 2017.
    • Based on strong momentum of PS4, PS VR cumulatively sold through more than 2M units to consumers worldwide as of December 3, 2017*1.
    • 150 titles have been released for PS VR*3, achieving more than 12.2 million copies sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation Store as of December 3, 2017. *2

Sold 60.2M as of June 11th 2017 for reference.
https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2017/170613.html

Last edited:
Impressive. In less than a year PS4 will surpass PS3, and is well on track to become 3rd best selling console of all time.

130M of software sales in 6 month period

79M shipped PS4 goal until end of FY seems to be achievable

Number of days to reach 50M from 40M : 198 days

Number of days to reach 60M from 50M : 187 days

Number of days to reach 70M from 60M : 175 days

From resetera

Edit:
PS4 Tie-ratio - 8.75
PSVR Tie-ratio - 6.

PS4 sales surpass 70.6M units sold through. PSVR sales reach 2M

http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2017/171207.html

• PS4 has cumulatively sold through more than 70.6M units to consumers worldwide as of December 3, 2017*1.
    • More than 617.8 million copies*2 of PS4 games have been sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of December 3, 2017.
    • Based on strong momentum of PS4, PS VR cumulatively sold through more than 2M units to consumers worldwide as of December 3, 2017*1.
    • 150 titles have been released for PS VR*3, achieving more than 12.2 million copies sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation Store as of December 3, 2017. *2

Sold 60.2M as of June 11th 2017 for reference.
https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2017/170613.html

With these numbers, I really don't see Sony releasing PS4/Pro next successor anytime soon. I'm thinking 2020 being the earliest if anything ...between now and then, Sony could easily sale an additional 35-40 million PS4 units by then. And possibly another 10-12 million units during the tail-end of its life.

With these numbers, I really don't see Sony releasing PS4/Pro next successor anytime soon. I'm thinking 2020 being the earliest if anything ...between now and then, Sony could easily sale an additional 35-40 million PS4 units by then. And possibly another 10-12 million units during the tail-end of its life.

I think they will release the next console when technology is ready probably 2019 or 2020. Sony seems to learn lesson and launch too late with PS3 was one of the problem... PS1 sold 30 millions after PS2 release and PS2 50 millions after 360 release...

A cheap PS4 199 dollars/ euros or maybe 149 dollars/euros will continue to sold well...

And sold a PS4 or a PS5* is good for Sony and with cross generation and console base on x86 it or even better...

* better than sold a PS4...

Edit: I expect the PS5 to be backward compatible one of the best reasons to choose x86 with ease of development and the best choice knowing third party are launching multiplatform game(same architecture then PX and Xbox...) and we will probably have a PS5 turbo mode... Backward compatibility is more important with the rise of digital sales...

Last edited:
Taking a look at Amazon monthly charts for November and December so far for hardware (not sure how often these update, so who know how much of the 7 days of Dec so far is captured in the Dec chart)

November
#8 Xbox One S 500GB
#12 PS4 Slim 1TB
#13 Nintendo Switch (Neon Joy Cons)
#16 NSW (Gray Joy cons)
#29 Xbox One X 1TB
#49 Xbox One X Project Scorpio edition
#56 Xbox One S 500GB Battlefield 1 bundle
#61 PS4 Slim 1TB Battlefront 2 bundle
#72 Nintendo new 2DS XL
#84 Playstation 4 Pro 1TB
#92 Playstation 4 Slim 1TB COD WW2 bundle

December so far

#5 NSW-Neon
#6 NSW-Gray
#17 PS4 Slim 1TB
#31 Xbox One X 1TB
#38 PS4 Slim 1TB Battlefront 2 bundle
#83 Xbox One S 500Gb
#99 PS4 Pro 1TB

I am not sure what's up with December EG, Xbox S falling so far etc. It appears as usual stock may be in and out for any of the popular console SKU's so who knows.

December so far

#5 NSW-Neon
#6 NSW-Gray
#17 PS4 Slim 1TB
#31 Xbox One X 1TB
#83 Xbox One S 500Gb
#99 PS4 Pro 1TB

I am not sure what's up with December EG, Xbox S falling so far etc. It appears as usual stock may be in and out for any of the popular console SKU's so who knows.

Nintendo Switch, the console people are probably getting for their kids, grandkids, nephews and nieces for Christmas. Will supply hold up?

XBO-X having a strong start to December on Amazon, but will demand keep up and if it does will supply keep up? Last year Dec. PS4-P ended up 94th, presumably because there wasn't enough supply of the consoles. Where will XBO-X end up? And will PS4-P manage to do better this year than it did last year?

Regards,
SB

Let's see. More than likely PS4 will surpass the unit sales of XB360/PS3 (~84 million each) by May of next year, and then Wii U (~104 million) by Feb-March of 2019.

As for PS2, if Sony can sale an additional 17-19 million PS4 units per year, for the next three years, that would put them around 121-127 million units sold by the end 2020 (depending on revisions and price cuts). And Hypothetically, if the next PlayStation successor is launched by mid November of 2020, then PS4 tail-end sales need to remain somewhat high. And If production of the PS4 ends sometime in late 2022 or early 2023, they need to keep sales relatively high (14-15 million per year) during those years, on matching or surpassing PS2 success. It's not impossible, but the uphill (more like mountain) climb is going to be a bit**.

MS can't get the xb1x to sell either. Getting the raw specs crown changed absolutely nothing to the market share.

Where do you get those sales numbers? You have worldwide (or USA only) market share before and after X1X launch? Oh yeah we dont realistically get any, let alone broken down that much.

Well, what we do know Xbox market share actually did increase in Nov vs prior months anyway. It had actually a decently successful month apparently, and easily held off switch for 2nd place which is also arguably a big win. We also do know Xbox had it's best Nov ever. If I'm being completely fair, if we're comparing just Nov's, based on the data we have now it wasn't a sea change in market share Xbox vs PS. But I think it's equally or more important to compare to recent months of Xbox, where it was flailing quite badly, in that respect (recent months vs November when X1X was available) it was a major improvement in market share.

We just learned PS4 outsold Xbox hardware by units in Nov NPD, but Xbox had more hardware revenue (it's in the official NPD statement). Since Sony also has a higher priced SKU in Pro to mitigate some of the ASP difference (as well vanilla PS4 generally costs more than X1S), that suggests X1X sold pretty well as a share of Xbox. It's still holding pretty decently in Amazon rankings too.

Anyways it'll take some time, I expect some bumpy slow months for X1X hardware but it's the long run where it'll shine. That's why pressure for PS5 has been ramping up a lot lately. If X1X wasn't a threat there wouldn't be so much discussion of PS5.

I think Xbox One X is definitely a winner, the "problem" is it's 499, and often when I tell people I got one I get a skeptical gaze and the question "but can you REALLY tell the difference?".

Amazon rankings for Dec 2017, top SKU is PS4 Slim 1TB at #19, second SKU is Xbox X at #31. That's pretty good IMO. That means the best selling Xbox SKU (on Amazon for Dec) is the X.

Caveat the Amazon Dec rankings seem all messed up because they cant seem to keep any consoles in stock besides maybe Switch and Xbox X/PS4 Pro, so I think which ones are drifting in and out of stock is heavily affecting things. Specifically with regards to Xb1S which seems barely to be found in Dec Amazon rankings but I dont think that's natural. PS4 Slim is usually out of stock too, but my guess is they've had MORE stock when they do get doses, which has allowed it to be #19. so far.

Last edited:
It's not games, it's portable games.

Is it portable games, or games that can be portable? Or a console that is more portable than other consoles? I'm finding myself buying more third party games on Switch (rather than PC or PS4) purely because it can be portable. 90% of the time, it's hooked up to the TV. Now I own a Switch I don't have to buy portable games, I just buy games that I can play anywhere and everywhere. It's weirdly liberating and I'm not hugely sure I want to go back to games chained to a television. Not if I have a choice. :nope:

Yes. Thats what I mean. I do not mean the same titles that are currently marketted to phone and tablet owners, but typical console games that can be portable.

Its why I was surprised Sony never revealed a proper Vita with PS4 or at the 4Pro time.

Anyways, this is all entirely way off topic and the past few discussions likely need to be moved to a Sales or Prediction thread.

I don't think the execs at Sony are pacing up and down mumbling, "6 Teraflops. 6 Teraflops

I have it on good word, what's really happening...
87wQl.gif

I think there's opportunity for X1X to hit $399 some time in the second half of 2018. That should help it maintain solid sales in the premium niche.

Taking a look at Amazon monthly charts for November and December so far for hardware (not sure how often these update, so who know how much of the 7 days of Dec so far is captured in the Dec chart)

November
#8 Xbox One S 500GB
#12 PS4 Slim 1TB
#13 Nintendo Switch (Neon Joy Cons)
#16 NSW (Gray Joy cons)
#29 Xbox One X 1TB
#49 Xbox One X Project Scorpio edition
#56 Xbox One S 500GB Battlefield 1 bundle
#61 PS4 Slim 1TB Battlefront 2 bundle
#72 Nintendo new 2DS XL
#84 Playstation 4 Pro 1TB
#92 Playstation 4 Slim 1TB COD WW2 bundle

December so far

#5 NSW-Neon
#6 NSW-Gray
#17 PS4 Slim 1TB
#31 Xbox One X 1TB
#83 Xbox One S 500Gb
#99 PS4 Pro 1TB

Update to Amazon's monthly chart:

#7 NSW Neon (-2)
#8 NSW Gray (-2)
#19 PS4 1TB Slim (-2)
#29 PS4 BF Bundle (+9)
#33 XB1X (-2)
#49 PS4 Pro (+50)
#69 XB1S FH3 HW Bundle
#94 XB1S (-11)

PS4 Pros are temporarily on sale for 349.

Standard PS4s are supposed to drop to 249 (which includes the BF bundle) starting the 17th, but Amazon started the price a little earlier. The PS4 BF bundle is already 3rd on the hourly chart and we'll probably see it climb the monthly chart.

Gamestop's hourly chart is quite a bit different than Amazon's:

#1 NSW Neon
#2 NSW Gray
#9 PS4 Pro BF bundle (349)
#12 PS4 Pro Fifa bundle (349)
#13 PS4 Pro BF+Fifa bundle (399)
#15 NSW Neon Mario bundle
#36 PS4 CoD bundle
#44 XB1S
#63 NSW Gray Mario bundle
#66 NSW Neon Zelda bundle
#90 NSW Gray Mario Cart bundle

They have some pretty good PS4 Pro bundle deals going on, kind of surprised to see so many Pro bundles in their hourly chart.

Oddly XB1X is #204 on Gamestop's hourly chart, but #36 on Amazon's hourly chart. Gamestop represents a much larger share of overall video game sales in the US.

Judging by this, you'd think Nintendo will win December, followed by PS4 then XB1.

Last edited:
PS4 Pros are temporarily on sale for 349.

I was wondering when that would happen. Sony needed to do "something" as demand for PS4-P had basically cratered after the XBO-X launched. At least in the US. In other parts of the world it probably still had decent demand and likely still outsells the XBO-X.

Then again it may have cratered even before the XBO-X launch. Sales for PS4-P haven't been great in the US outside of its first 2-3 months. I imagine it declined even further after XBO-X came out, however. Of course, it's entire possible that XBO-X sales will mirror those of PS4-P, albeit with higher initial sales due to non-limited stock.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back