Shadow of the Colossus (Remake 2018) [PS4]

This is why it's a remake, and not a remaster, from resetera:

PYnqdhw.png

eoC6lKd.png

The only thing that looks real is the sky, which is probably a real life picture (which goes completely against the original art design). Wander looks like he's made of plastic.

Funny how some people were blaming the use of fog as a technical limitation while this screenshot is far foggier than the original.

At least TLG exists.
Blurry and smudged is a better description of the original. This is a completely different effect that is unique to the occasion

PYnqdhw.png

eoC6lKd.png
You have to be crazy to say the terrible color balance and tone of the first image was part of the vision and had been deliberately made that way, and the only technical limitations are regarding polycounts and textures.
Thats why I don't get so many of the complaints towards changes to lighting.
Yes, it might have looked about right here and there, but it often looked garish too. A remake just HAD to change it.

You have to be crazy to say the terrible color balance and tone of the first image was part of the vision and had been deliberately made that way, and the only technical limitations are regarding polycounts and textures.
Yes, it might have looked about right here and there, but it often looked garish too. A remake just HAD to change it.

Not crazy, really. And who says garish and blown-out cannot be the kind of look an artist was shooting for? Ever seen Pitch Black? All the daytime scenes in this film are deliberately blown-out looking thanks to a process called bleach bypass. Spielberg's long time cinematographer Janusz Kaminski is also very fond of that particular look. And sure, it does look a lot better there than it does in an old PS2 game, but that's where a new piece of hardware comes in to improve on and not neccessarily change any particular vision.

Mind you I don't think the new look's bad at all.

PYnqdhw.png

eoC6lKd.png
Looks like an action figure, lol.

Blurry and smudged is a better description of the original. This is a completely different effect that is unique to the occasion
It's just a generic fog effect now. Nothing unique about it.

Ueda loves overexposed lighting. Take a look at TLG. I don't think he loves piss filters though.

yet the final release on ps4 still wasn't this much white-crushing overexposed. He certainly likes contrast, but it probably wouldnt be so exageeated and out of control had the ps2 been more flexible. The game sinply doesn't look good all the time.

yet the final release on ps4 still wasn't this much white-crushing overexposed. He certainly likes contrast, but it probably wouldnt be so exageeated and out of control had the ps2 been more flexible. The game sinply doesn't look good all the time.
No game looks good all the time.

You lift the PS2 limitations and you get TLG. The 2009 footage shows exactly the HDR features Ueda wanted in SotC but could only very roughly approximate.

The released game is still overexposed in outdoor areas. It's less extreme because they switched to a filmic tonemapper. Back in 2009 they were probably using Reinhard like everyone else.

I personally prefer the old look. In my eyes it looks more realistic.

It's just a generic fog effect now. Nothing unique about it.
It is an effect specific to the location of that colossi.
If my eyes do not deceive me it also seems to have some volume that creates subtle shafts where light is blocked by the giant

It is an effect specific to the location of that colossi.
If my eyes do not deceive me it also seems to have some volume that creates subtle shafts where light is blocked by the giant
It's not like fog was equally dense everywhere in the original. Also, screen space light shafts.

It's not like fog was equally dense everywhere in the original. Also, screen space light shafts.
what do you mean equally dense everywhere? The effect seems to work well regardless, for that area

Last edited:
No game looks good all the time.

You lift the PS2 limitations and you get TLG. The 2009 footage shows exactly the HDR features Ueda wanted in SotC but could only very roughly approximate.

The released game is still overexposed in outdoor areas. It's less extreme because they switched to a filmic tonemapper. Back in 2009 they were probably using Reinhard like everyone else.

I personally prefer the old look. In my eyes it looks more realistic.
TLG was never a PS2 game. It's was a PS3 game from the start, then the development switched to PS4.

what do you mean equally dense everywhere? The effect seems to work well regardless, for that area
You initially mentioned the effect is unique to the occasion which in the context of the post made me think you were implying fog/bloom were generically applied in the original. Maybe I misunderstood.

Back