AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Sadly AMD has been not-telling-the-truth in their slides for some time... More or less all newish APU/GPU launch slide decks contained features which were never really functional. Historically, the most flawed features were DVFS related (notably Jaguar, Kaveri and Polaris). Vega just took it to a new level.

When Tonga felt like a dull stop-gap product, Fiji like a strange engineering sample, I don't know how to categorize Vega even 6 months after the release.

If marketing bangs big drums for the features with all kinds of slides, and has one of their senior engineers do a video interview explaining one of those high-profile features with one of the bigger hardware websites/youtube channels out there, it's absolutely implied that the hardware is going to benefit from those features and you as a customer benefiting as well if you buy this piece of hardware.

Leaving customers high and dry with nary a word afterwards is, well IANAL, but it does indeed sound fraudulent to my ears at least.
The video interview you mentioned had nothing to do with the marketing team. The editor directly asked the engineers about doing a video explaining culling, a generic GPU feature. The goal was to explain a concept to the audience since AMD had talked about improving culling for two generations of products. The video doesn't explain any new feature even though it complements it as the editor had seen the marketing slides by that point.

Vega is after all an enthusiast card
It's actually a "performance" card. It's simply that NVidia has successfully jacked the "mid-range" to $500 with AMD's help (inability to compete).

Enthusiast is 1080Ti, and arguably, almost a year later (when you'll be able to buy one), Titan V.

The video interview you mentioned had nothing to do with the marketing team. The editor directly asked the engineers about doing a video explaining culling, a generic GPU feature. The goal was to explain a concept to the audience since AMD had talked about improving culling for two generations of products. The video doesn't explain any new feature even though it complements it as the editor had seen the marketing slides by that point.
You mean this video?
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3010-primitive-discarding-in-vega-with-mike-mantor

At minute 7:40 he talks clearly about primitive (prim) shader.

You mean this video?
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3010-primitive-discarding-in-vega-with-mike-mantor

At minute 7:40 he talks clearly about primitive (prim) shader.
It came up, but the fact that it took 7:40 to get there shows this wasn't a video specifically about this feature even if it was inspired by this feature. My point is this video had nothing directly to do with marketing banging the drum about primitive shaders as marketing didn't create or ask for the video. It was the result of good journalism by Gamers Nexus in asking for an interview. If people want to blame marketing for something they should stick to what was presented directly from AMD. Of course, everything marketing says is intended to get people to buy a product. I don't disagree with that.

It came up, but the fact that it took 7:40 to get there shows this wasn't a video specifically about this feature even if it was inspired by this feature. My point is this video had nothing directly to do with marketing banging the drum about primitive shaders as marketing didn't create or ask for the video. It was the result of good journalism by Gamers Nexus in asking for an interview. If people want to blame marketing for something they should stick to what was presented directly from AMD. Of course, everything marketing says is intended to get people to buy a product. I don't disagree with that.
But should a engineere not shut his mouth about features which are not working. I thinks Mike Mantor asked what he can tell in an interview!

Did AMD print primitive shaders on Vega boxes? If not, then there is no legal liability there.

I'm picturing cavemen with long bats and even longer shadows now on Vega boxes ;)

But yeah, especially if there's no risk of lawsuit, they should talk about the features not ship yet, especially PS. They do have some December event; since last 2-3 year right?

But should a engineere not shut his mouth about features which are not working. I thinks Mike Mantor asked what he can tell in an interview!
There are many examples of companies evangelizing features to drum up interest. In multiple conversations AMD said the primitive shader needed developer support and gave caveats, however the message was muddled by other comments about wanting to enable it behind the scenes. The message was certainly not clear.

If it's known that a feature won't be enabled then certainly a company shouldn't talk about it. Some people will jump to the conclusion that the company willfully mislead consumers and others will conclude something else. I can't speak for AMD marketing as to why they don't attempt to make things clear. Maybe they're not sure how to make things clear and have moved on to other things.

The Adrenalin driver has lots of cool features that make for delicious icing on the cake.
Like for example, "optimized vsync", whatever it's called, is now available also on older GCN cards, and not just on polaris/vega. Total news to me, and completely unexpected - although very welcome, of course.

In multiple conversations AMD said the primitive shader needed developer support and gave caveats, however the message was muddled by other comments about wanting to enable it behind the scenes. The message was certainly not clear.
And our very own Rys tweeted it would not require developer intervention. Also, totally did not say the feature was FUBAR and would never see the light of day.

The Adrenalin driver has lots of cool features that make for delicious icing on the cake.
Like for example, "optimized vsync", whatever it's called, is now available also on older GCN cards, and not just on polaris/vega. Total news to me, and completely unexpected - although very welcome, of course.

In multiple conversations AMD said the primitive shader needed developer support and gave caveats, however the message was muddled by other comments about wanting to enable it behind the scenes. The message was certainly not clear.
And our very own Rys tweeted it would not require developer intervention. Also, totally did not say the feature was FUBAR and would never see the light of day.

Back