Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

Cutscene in realtime:

The area is not so big in Death Stranding after a few meters the fog obscures everything.

It's not just the tech but how the scenes are filled and in predefined cut scenes it is a snap to do it better than in gameplay as long as you put enough time and effort into it.
Some parts of the DS trailer are actually playable such as the Ocean part so it further cements how ludicrously good looking this game is. Death Stranding is a what, 3rd gen Decima based title with additional artistic tweaks from Kojipro so technically speaking it should look better than Horizon ZD on the get go. And this time they would probably have concentrated more on the Pro hardware on the get go to accommodate more complex lighting and visuals than HZD ever could. The more cinematic direction of Kojima also adds greatly to the general appearance of the graphics oomph. I'm not saying the final gameplay is necessarily 1:1 to the trailer quality but it shouldn't be too far off either.

I meant in an actual game...

Yet, most games that have good looking cutscenes look good during gameplay.

At the moment I only saw cutscenes and those linked videos are cutscenes/videos too

Some parts of the DS trailer are actually playable such as the Ocean part so it further cements how ludicrously good looking this game is. Death Stranding is a what, 3rd gen Decima based title with additional artistic tweaks from Kojipro so technically speaking it should look better than Horizon ZD on the get go. And this time they would probably have concentrated more on the Pro hardware on the get go to accommodate more complex lighting and visuals than HZD ever could. The more cinematic direction of Kojima also adds greatly to the general appearance of the graphics oomph. I'm not saying the final gameplay is necessarily 1:1 to the trailer quality but it shouldn't be too far off either.

I do not say that it would look bad. But I would not immediately deduce from these videos that it would be the best looking game. That it surpasses all western developers etc.

Sure techniques can be taken for both but in most games the difference between cutscenes and gameplay is still clear. Better Hand adjusted lighting, higher quality of post processing effects etc.

I guess that fact the environment is a barren wasteland helps too.

New in engine screenshot.
DdxBF0BVAAcUlMf.jpg

Forest level incoming at E3?

So some bad news about the nature of the game, if what Mads revealed is true then it could well turn into a high budget MMO, always online, multiplayer centric type of game:(?
https://www.gamesradar.com/death-st...ikkelsen-heres-why-that-might-be-significant/
Death Stranding actor Norman Reedus recently claimed that Hideo Kojima's mysterious PS4 exclusive has 'elements of social media', and now co-star Mads Mikkelsen has confirmed that the gameplay 'needs collaboration from different people from different parts of the world'.
Kojima should get off the moss drug asap and do what he does the best, cinematic single player game:yep2:.

And why is that a bad news? We were promised open world action game, and that is what we will get. "Elements of social media" could have an impact big and small, but I doubt it will be wasted. It could be as innovative, non-traditional and mindbending as the online segment in Nier Automata [a singleplayer game].

I want devs to innovate, and not only to be stuck in predetermined molds.

Kojima should get off the moss drug asap and do what he does the best
He is. He would be doing this and much more if he had to online-connected platforms earlier in his career.

I believe he is trying to build on the idea he had envisioned in MGSV. It also incorporated a multiplayer element that co exists within the normal campaign and its theme: The torture of revenge, its phantom pain or peace. Your bases were subject to invasion and defense and you could attack others. Revenge was a strong element built in the base invasion feature. Assigned jobs and resources from these bases contributed to the acquisition of weapons and items. It had social elements too. You could form collaborations with other players to protect your base and resources. Also all players globally had to participate in an effort to dismantle nuclear warheads to get the extra ending or do the opposite and create some as deterrents or bait to attract invaders that would be prevented by your gamer partners, yourself or your base defenses for extra rewards.

It looks like in this game actions of players may influence each other as part of the theme.

I do hope though that the game can be played normally with a cinematic single player campaign rather than becoming a game that forces mmo/multiplayer

And why is that a bad news? We were promised open world action game, and that is what we will get. "Elements of social media" could have an impact big and small, but I doubt it will be wasted. It could be as innovative, non-traditional and mindbending as the online segment in Nier Automata [a singleplayer game].

I want devs to innovate, and not only to be stuck in predetermined molds.

He is. He would be doing this and much more if he had to online-connected platforms earlier in his career.
I'm all cool with open world game actually as long as it's got a good story and characters but what he's proposing here is to interfere the single player immersion by implementing collaboration from other players thus distorting a cohesive SP experience. Not everything requires input from online components to be successful or fun, people wanna solve puzzles, defeat bosses all by themselves and the payoff is so much more rewarding in that sense. Now a predetermined mold does not come without its own benefit, you'll get a much more consistent, fluent and nuanced story flow like any major high scoring SP games out there.
As long as Kojima keeps the meat of the game (single player) intact as the main focus while introduce a mild integration of online features (definitely not always online or mmo) then I'm fine with that of course.

To me it sounds like how you can play Bloodborne with ‘elements of multiplayer’ as you can read notes left by players in the campaign, and at times even summon a player to help you out. Simples.

To me it sounds like how you can play Bloodborne with ‘elements of multiplayer’ as you can read notes left by players in the campaign, and at times even summon a player to help you out. Simples.
If that's as far as it goes about the social collaboration then it's all good, just give me a meaty campaign that's all I'm asking for :).

Back