Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Homefront Revolution

HDR + higher resolution. Locked 30. No additional upgrades on features from base models.

DF makes a note of 4Pro suffering from a possible dip during fire effects.
i'm trolling. well, no, they really did say it though. It's nothing significant though 1 fps drop.

Regarding Project Cars 2:

UPDATE 27/11/17 4:15pm:[/B] We've spent the day checking out the Project Cars 2 demo, which features three separate and distinct presentation modes for users with PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X hardware. These modes are currently unavailable in the full game, which we cover in the main piece below, but we can reasonably expect the full patch to arrive in short order. Three separate modes are on offer - with an emphasis on resolution, visual quality or frame-rate - so while testing is only preliminary based on demo content alone, we wanted to put it to the test to get a flavour of what we can expect before the main game is updated.

There's only limited material available in the demo and users can't control car count or weather conditions, so we can't say that this is the definitive word on what the full game offers, but we can offer a broad outline of what each mode delivers. First up, resolution - this targets the highest pixel counts possible out of the three modes, and our measurements from the demo serve up a dynamic resolution window of 1152p to 1440p on PlayStation 4 Pro, rising to 1440p to 1620p on Xbox One X. Certainly on Xbox One X, this is similar to the current build users have available.

Next up, there's the enhanced visuals option, which ups the detail level considerably, and brings many of the trackside detail options up to par between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X - something that doesn't happen in the current version of the main game. Here, our resolution measurements are again dynamic, delivering the same 1440p to 1620p window on Xbox One X (skewing lower to 1440p during gameplay). The resolution window is wider on PS4 Pro - we found a minimum 882p, rising to 1440p max, but mostly sticking at 1080p. Although trackside detail is similar, Xbox One X has improvements to LODs and shadow quality here.

Finally there's the performance mode, which aims to deliver a 60fps lock on both systems. Based on what we've measured from the demo, Xbox One X's upper bounds remains at 1620p, but resolution tends to settle at 1080p through gameplay. There's a very similar presentation overall on PS4 Pro with the 1080p pixel-count remaining in place for most of the action, but the resolution range we found tracks between 972p to 1440p.

Performance-wise, while we have limited data points in the demo, we found that both Pro and Xbox One X ran nicely at 60fps in performance mode, though Pro could drop in wet weather conditions. Resolution mode looks pretty solid on both systems, while the enhanced visual modes can drop - we logged minimums of 55fps with tearing on both consoles, but again, only in wet weather conditions. Right now, first impressions suggest some interesting choices for users added to the mix then, and the sense is that the performance balance between the two consoles may have shifted. We'll update with more detail once the title updates for both consoles arrive.

I wouldn't buy Project Cars anyway, but it's just a general belief on my part that games should have stable performance. If all three modes are pretty close to a locked framerate, then fine. But if any of the three options have frame drops up to 15 fps, like the current version for 1X, then they aren't viable options. At least not to me. I'd rather have one stable option than three that are not.
A racing game certainly should.
i agree, SMS doesn't. Well, it is what it is.
This mostly confirms my observations. Looking forward to the full analysis of the game after the patch.

Performance-wise, while we have limited data points in the demo, we found that both Pro and Xbox One X ran nicely at 60fps in performance mode, though Pro could drop in wet weather conditions. Resolution mode looks pretty solid on both systems, while the enhanced visual modes can drop - we logged minimums of 55fps with tearing on both consoles, but again, only in wet weather conditions. Right now, first impressions suggest some interesting choices for users added to the mix then, and the sense is that the performance balance between the two consoles may have shifted. We'll update with more detail once the title updates for both consoles arrive.
@Scott_Arm this completely tosses out any and all alpha theories.

This title just really needs work.

Maybe they should offer a 30fps cap for the enchanted visuals and then just the performance mode @ 60fps. Resolution at the expense of framerate seems pointless as an additional mode.

Maybe they should offer a 30fps cap for the enchanted visuals and then just the performance mode @ 60fps. Resolution at the expense of framerate seems pointless as an additional mode.
system might be entirely designed around 60 though. Wondering if CPU is really a factor here.

Maybe, but then given that the framerate can drop, capping the GPU to 30 shouldn't be an issue? IIRC, there was an option on PC for that in the command line.

@Scott_Arm this completely tosses out any and all alpha theories.

This title just really needs work.
Well no. Both games are now running at ~1080p apparently in performance mode. They patched the game for XBX in order that it runs better during weather while reducing res...The game was running mostly fine before on Pro, it didn't need a performance mode...

Well no. Both games are now running at ~1080p apparently in performance mode. They patched the game for XBX in order that it runs better during weather while reducing res...The game was running mostly fine before on Pro, it didn't need a performance mode...
I disagree from the article:
We've spent the day checking out the Project Cars 2 demo, which features three separate and distinct presentation modes for users with PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X hardware
First DF specifies that they are measuring the new release for both 4Pro and Xbox One X.

Enhanced Visuals Mode
Next up, there's the enhanced visuals option, which ups the detail level considerably, and brings many of the trackside detail options up to par between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X - something that doesn't happen in the current version of the main game. Here, our resolution measurements are again dynamic, delivering the same 1440p to 1620p window on Xbox One X (skewing lower to 1440p during gameplay). The resolution window is wider on PS4 Pro - we found a minimum 882p, rising to 1440p max, but mostly sticking at 1080p. Although trackside detail is similar, Xbox One X has improvements to LODs and shadow quality here.
On the same settings here, 4Pro is performing at a statisically lowered resolution, with still additional features off. Whereas in the first comparison video, we were effectively comparing performance settings to enhanced settings.

Performance Mode
Finally there's the performance mode, which aims to deliver a 60fps lock on both systems. Based on what we've measured from the demo, Xbox One X's upper bounds remains at 1620p, but resolution tends to settle at 1080p through gameplay. There's a very similar presentation overall on PS4 Pro with the 1080p pixel-count remaining in place for most of the action, but the resolution range we found tracks between 972p to 1440p.
Once again same settings, the only difference is resolution. Lower bounds on 4Pro.

Summary
Performance-wise, while we have limited data points in the demo, we found that both Pro and Xbox One X ran nicely at 60fps in performance mode, though Pro could drop in wet weather conditions. Resolution mode looks pretty solid on both systems, while the enhanced visual modes can drop - we logged minimums of 55fps with tearing on both consoles, but again, only in wet weather conditions.
If you were correct about ROPs and alpha there would be no drop in frame rate for 4Pro. We see this is false. Running similar settings to Xbox One X it will drop. Under no circumstances that running the same lowered resolution if this was a ROP problem, would 1X outperform 4Pro. 32 ROPs to 64 ROPS with DCC. 1X would clearly be bottlenecked before 4Pro.

It's not a ROP problem.

Nice that there are now relatively equal settings. Although XBO-X is using higher LOD and Shadow Quality which will impact performance in Enhanced mode when compared to the PS4-P which doesn't feature them.

And just like I mentioned in a prior post, performance drops at the time on XBO-X were due to developer quality settings for the XBO-X compared to those used for the PS4-P and not necessarily the hardware configuration of the XBO-X.

Regards,
SB

Nice that there are now relatively equal settings. Although XBO-X is using higher LOD and Shadow Quality which will impact performance in Enhanced mode when compared to the PS4-P which doesn't feature them.

And just like I mentioned in a prior post, performance drops at the time on XBO-X were due to developer quality settings for the XBO-X compared to those used for the PS4-P and not necessarily the hardware configuration of the XBO-X.

Regards,
SB

I wasn't expecting enchanted mode to have such a big hit on resolution, because the improvements don't look that significant. I'm guessing it's mostly the shadow resolution that requires the resolution trade-off.

I wasn't expecting enchanted mode to have such a big hit on resolution, because the improvements don't look that significant. I'm guessing it's mostly the shadow resolution that requires the resolution trade-off.

That'd be my guess. I'm not sure how well Polaris deals with Shadows but I remember that my R9 290 used to take a relatively large hit in performance from increasing shadow map resolution and quality of shadows. When I needed performance it was one of the first things I lowered or disabled (if lowered shadow quality looked like arse).

Regards,
SB

That'd be my guess. I'm not sure how well Polaris deals with Shadows but I remember that my R9 290 used to take a relatively large hit in performance from increasing shadow map resolution and quality of shadows. When I needed performance it was one of the first things I lowered or disabled (if lowered shadow quality looked like arse).

Regards,
SB

Is that a per card thing (i.e. do they have dedicated hardware for shadow maps) or is it just across the board that shadows put a strain on graphics cards?

If every other visual aspect stays the same next generation, it's shadows that I hope they fix: in nearly every game, they consistently pop in, and draw in extra detail as you get closer. They're much better this generation than they were last, so the same level of improvement would make me a happy chappy.

Is that a per card thing (i.e. do they have dedicated hardware for shadow maps) or is it just across the board that shadows put a strain on graphics cards?

If every other visual aspect stays the same next generation, it's shadows that I hope they fix: in nearly every game, they consistently pop in, and draw in extra detail as you get closer. They're much better this generation than they were last, so the same level of improvement would make me a happy chappy.
shadows are fairly computationally expensive, so low resolution shadows are fairly standard. As I understand it, very high resolution shadows are fairly high cost without specific hardware like conservative rasterization.

This is where next gen should have stronger solutions to this if we move to GPU side dispatch coupled with conservative rasterization.

Last edited:
More than likely the Project Cars dev team found some extra ROP's hidden in the Xbox controller...case closed.

Is it me or is the way the camera tilts over every time the car brakes very weird and off-putting? :-O

For a strange reason, it made me feel so uneasy.

Alpha blending would stress bandwidth more than pure (opaque) pixel fillrate.

Looking at a bandwidth limited operation and inferring a ROP shortage is ill conceived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back