Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
battlefront-2-iden-versio.jpg

Battlefront 2 is the new king.

Does the facial muscle deform realistically upon impact? I feel like pretty much everyone can get a face look real good these days but now it's down to the interaction, animation, hair and mouth sync to stand out from the rest.

It's not offline CG for sure, maybe offline rendered in the engine, can't tell it right now.

The skin shader is very nice, lighting too. Asset is scan based and well executed, although to me it feels like the eyelids are too thin.

It definitely lacks hair and fur rendering though, no peachfuzz and the eyelids are textured poly planes only. There may be some shadowing issues as well, bit harder to tell.

Another issue that's not as evident from this picture, but was noticeable in the trailers, is that the facial deformations are a bit off. The soft tissues around the mouth and cheek seem to gain extra volume here and there and the facial expressions aren't as nice too look at sometimes. I'd say that TLOU 2 is much better on this front, but I can't say if it is because, or depsite of, using hand crafted faces instead of scans...

Quest Giver Miles Eckart from the SC 3.0 PTU Alpha. Just zooming in on the model, no cutscene or anything just him saying some wild line.
vlcsnap-2017-11-26-206xs5u.png

vlcsnap-2017-11-26-20posif.png

My performance is just getting crushed here :X

Thats a Tier 2 multiplayer character (they have Tier 0,1,2 an 3) and it should also be about the facial animations. Hair shader is still not done.

Last edited:
I'm not really impressed. I expected better from Star Citizen...
Just curious mate, what are you expecting of Star Citizen / what is unimpressive about that model? I think within the context of an MMO, or multiplayer character model, that is pretty great looking.

I easily imagine, as per their tiering system, that the character models for big characters in Squadron 42 (the Single Player Campaign) will be even more detailed.

Just curious mate, what are you expecting of Star Citizen

If it's from the multiplayer, then it's ok.

But i'm expecting something like that in the final game for the single player mode :

3067315-2508108119-Star-.jpg

what is unimpressive about that model?

Textures and shaders. I think that they aim for realistic visuals, but their model looks like what you get from a standard video game.

Actually, your last pic remind me the Dishonored 2 engine.

Last edited:
And if you want to know what are my references, then i imagine a realistic face looking like that :

ashes_to_ashes.jpg

If you don't aim for strict realism, then that's what i call a good job :

horizon-character-art-lansra-portrait.jpg

But i don't know, maybe that my standards are too high for SC since it's a PC exclusive (but the black guy is good enough for me).

Last edited:
And if you want to know what are my references, then i imagine a realistic face looking like that :

If you don't aim for strict realism, then that's what i call a good job :

But i don't know, maybe that my standards are too high for SC since it's a PC exclusive (but the black guy is good enough for me).
Isn't that HZD image supersampled or downsampled? Sure thats rendered "in engine" but is that actually what she looks like on the PS4 PRO in game & in realtime?

Guerrilla Games has been known for having those "in engine" non-realtime models for Killzone
Realtime LOD0 vs Promotional offline rendering
killzone-shadowfall-14.jpg

Killzone-Shadow-Fall_2013_07-15-13_002.jpg

Last edited:
Almost all cutscenes are rendered in realtime in HZD. Cutscenes add ideal lighting conditions, that's all.

horizon-character-art-erend-portrait.jpg
I am actually not sure if that supersampled lightboxed image above is the same quality model as the in game one in HZD. His ears are perfectly round in the super sampled light boxed image, yet in game, have hard edges:
earbishw.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back