All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have to wait over a year for that tho ;)

Be interesting to see how the X sales fair over the next few months - see if they hold up at all
he he. Well the last 2 months of the year tends to accelerate pretty quickly ;)

WARNING: Everyone should note that these aren't directly comparable since there are no actual sales numbers attached. This is purely out of curiosity of a completely useless number for comparisons. :p

XBO-X so far.

August - 3rd.
September - 21st.
October - 62nd.
November (~days 1-21) - 20th.

Just to reiterate, these numbers are not comparable in any way outside of curiosity about useless comparisons. :)

Regards,
SB

Yeah, I know this - I just meant against itself. So whilst it's really hard to tell overall we can see Pro had a good launch month, fairly good for 2 months then falls off a cliff lol

The first month for X will be hard to get too much from because it's 2 products but it might give some indication overall how the post launch sales pan out and if there's a similar pattern (is all I was thinking).

Sorry if that appears a stupid idea.

WARNING: Everyone should note that these aren't directly comparable since there are no actual sales numbers attached. This is purely out of curiosity of a completely useless number for comparisons. :p

XBO-X so far.

August - 3rd.
September - 21st.
October - 62nd.
November (~days 1-21) - 20th.

Just to reiterate, these numbers are not comparable in any way outside of curiosity about useless comparisons. :)

Regards,
SB
you're just charting scorpio though ;) there's a second SKU that needs to be accounted for ;)

Yeah, I know this - I just meant against itself. So whilst it's really hard to tell overall we can see Pro had a good launch month, fairly good for 2 months then falls off a cliff lol

The first month for X will be hard to get too much from because it's 2 products but it might give some indication overall how the post launch sales pan out and if there's a similar pattern (is all I was thinking).

Sorry if that appears a stupid idea.
its not.
the only numbers we can go by is
20% of PS4 sales were 4Pro in 2016 (IIRC, that was the metric, launch + pre-orders to end of dec)

If we could get a similar ratio for 1X (ideally by Jan) we'd have something to go by. Harder to do through Amazon, but we can take the same concept.

NPD talk:

Lot of XBX stock apparently, more than some people in the knowing first thought.

Also cyber monday is counted for december NPD.

Not sure there will be enough of those 1TB PS4 for the whole week. Already (more or less) sold out at Best buy.

Ergo for November NPD: XB1 > PS4 > NSW
And for december NPD: PS4 > XB1 > NSW

Don't worry, NSW will win most following months... :yep2:

If the holiday months are worth half the year in sales, 20% would be something like 1.7 to 1.8 million for ps4pro in 2016. About 5 to 6 million at the end of 2017.

Latest analysts are predicting 900k for xb1x, which happens to be about 20% too.

Two things are counterbalancing, more sales because it's a launch, but less sales because stock will be depleted before the end of the year.

It's all guesswork and predictions but it's more reliable than amazon ranking which doesn't make much sense to compare.

Ergo for November NPD: XB1 > PS4 > NSW
And for december NPD: PS4 > XB1 > NSW

It's weird because I really cant lean any way to who will win November. It honestly feels like a 33% chance for each. But I haven't studied the tea leaves super closely.

If had to put my neck on the line I might lean Xbox because of Xbox X launch.

It's weird because I really cant lean any way to who will win November. It honestly feels like a 33% chance for each. But I haven't studied the tea leaves super closely.

If had to put my neck on the line I might lean Xbox because of Xbox X launch.
$199 is killer. Should really put a dent into Xbox One X momentum.

Super deal vs no deal. Price difference of $300.

No brainer for many.

I don't think the base PS4/XB1 deals are going to affect the XB1X sales much in November... it's almost a completely different demographic or market. Just like with any console launch, the core fans are going to buy it regardless of price, while the typical BF shoppers are going to go with the cheaper XB1S or PS4.

As for who will 'win' November, at first I thought MS will take it easily, but now I'm not so sure. $189 is a great price, but XB1S sales have been considerably down YOY. I think this has to do with the XB1X announcement and launch, plus strong PS4 software throughout the year. XB1X might just bring things back inline to how sales were before when XB1 was competitive with PS4.

I don't think Nintendo is going to win simply due to supply issues.

My predictions are (because predictions are fun :)):

XB1:1.3M (850K XB1S / 450K XB1X)
PS4: 1.2M
NSW: 1M

Assuming there's no unexpected killer deals in December, I say Sony comfortably wins December though.

Last edited:
I don't think the base PS4/XB1 deals are going to affect the XB1X sales much in November... it's almost a completely different demographic or market. Just like with any console launch, the core fans are going to buy it regardless of price, while the typical BF shoppers are going to go with the cheaper XB1S or PS4.

As for who will 'win' November, at first I thought MS will take it easily, but now I'm not so sure. $189 is a great price, but XB1S sales have been considerably down YOY. I think this has to do with the XB1X announcement and launch, plus strong PS4 software throughout the year. XB1X might just bring things back inline to how sales were before when XB1 was competitive with PS4.

I don't think Nintendo is going to win simply due to supply issues.

My predictions are (because predictions are fun :)):

XB1:1.3M (850K XB1S / 450K XB1X)
PS4: 1.2M
NSW: 1M

Assuming there's no unexpected killer deals in December, I say Sony comfortably wins December though.
ehh ;) it should have a small effect I think. Kids ask for say 1X because it's the latest thing, but parents see the $199 PS4 that used to be the in thing, so they rather go for that. I dunno, I think there is some overlap, even if not a major one.

Ehh :D

For sure there will be some overlap, I just don't see there being much of one. I think MS will struggle to keep up with demand of the XB1X during the holidays. They're going to sell the majority of inventory regardless.

As for XB1S, I think the combination of XB1X, PS4 deals and NSW being on the market will actually lower YOY sales for XB1S. XB1X will more than make up for it, though.

Last edited:
$199 is killer. Should really put a dent into Xbox One X momentum.

Super deal vs no deal. Price difference of $300.

No brainer for many.
Hey, Xb1 is / will also (be) available at this price, 199 with BF1 on amazon.com currently and at 189$ soon (a very cheap UHD player).

And 199 only for one model of PS4 that won't last IMO.

But more importantly, @djskribbles agrees with me. :yes:

Ehh :D

For sure there will be some overlap, I just don't see there being much of one. I think MS will struggle to keep up with demand of the XB1X during the holidays. They're going to sell the majority of inventory regardless.

As for XB1S, I think the combination of XB1X, PS4 deals and NSW being on the market will actually lower YOY sales for XB1S. XB1X will more than make up for it, though.

Yeah, and any 'overlap' will likely be someone picking XBX over XBO so no loss in sale - all the X does (IMHO) is increase a chance of sales.

I don't agree with MS struggling to keep up with demand though, I really do believe this will be short lived - as we saw with Pro, a big initital demand and then dropping to relatively low sales.

I still can't believe anyone can think MS will not beat Sony for November...I can't see how anything but a win will be seen as a massive failure for several reasons;

1) they have been touting X for over a year and bigging it up 'true 4K'/'best pixels evah' etc
2) they have a big fan base who will buy day one
3) they have had (pretty much) the whole of November sales

The only thing holding it back is black friday deals, I get that - but surely a console launch with such a build up is a bigger factor?

To be clear I only expect MS to run into supply issues early on, like the first 2-3 months or so. Not severely, but some stores will probably struggle a bit to keep up. Then I think XB1X sales will drop and be more inline with PS4Pro in terms of ratio.

I dont think Xbox One X will ever be like PS4 Pro in sales share minority. For example, was PS4 Pro ever as large a share of sales in it's first month as X1X is? I dont recall but I dont think it was.

Xbox One is just deficient hardware plus the power spread between the two is so much larger than the PS4 vs PS4 Pro spread, as we've discussed ad nauseum.

Power spread is greater, but so is the price. Core fans will jump on it, casuals will struggle to justify $500. It's simply too much for it to maintain much of a higher share than PS4 Pro IMO.

PS4 Pro didn't see a big sales spike because the power spread is smaller and Sony didn't push it nearly as much, but it seems to be selling steadily, thanks in large part to the relatively small price difference. Plus I think Sony could easily drop the price at this point.

Newer midrange PC video cards, PS4 Pro price drop, and even base PS4/XB1S price drops, will all negatively affect XB1X.

MS can adjust X1X price to maintain healthy, if somewhat niche, sales. All the while it's out there repairing the branded damage X1 Phat caused.

399 by the end of 2018, 299 by the end 2019 with a slim model, at which point MS can discontinue X1S.

To be clear I only expect MS to run into supply issues early on, like the first 2-3 months or so. Not severely, but some stores will probably struggle a bit to keep up. Then I think XB1X sales will drop and be more inline with PS4Pro in terms of ratio.

There's no supply issues now, 2 weeks after launch - not quite sure what will change this situation, we can be fairly certain there will be no black friday deals. There is the issue of Christmas, but I do think we've seen the peak of sales now.

I dont think Xbox One X will ever be like PS4 Pro in sales share minority. For example, was PS4 Pro ever as large a share of sales in it's first month as X1X is? I dont recall but I dont think it was.

Xbox One is just deficient hardware plus the power spread between the two is so much larger than the PS4 vs PS4 Pro spread, as we've discussed ad nauseum.

I think it's far too soon to judge how well X has sold, however it's clear that one was always going to come out of the gate quicker than the other largely due to the fan base being so let down by XBO and waiting for this console which has been built up over the last year.

Power spread is greater, but so is the price. Core fans will jump on it, casuals will struggle to justify $500. It's simply too much for it to maintain much of a higher share than PS4 Pro IMO.

PS4 Pro didn't see a big sales spike because the power spread is smaller and Sony didn't push it nearly as much, but it seems to be selling steadily, thanks in large part to the relatively small price difference. Plus I think Sony could easily drop the price at this point.

Newer midrange PC video cards, PS4 Pro price drop, and even base PS4/XB1S price drops, will all negatively affect XB1X.

This. Also, black friday deals show a £300 Pro with a couple games which is quite a good deal for a new buyer vs £450 for just a console - regardless of the power differences.

Hey, Xb1 is / will also (be) available at this price, 199 with BF1 on amazon.com currently and at 189$ soon (a very cheap UHD player).

And 199 only for one model of PS4 that won't last IMO.

But more importantly, @djskribbles agrees with me. :yes:
I thought it would run into similar behaviour as 4Pro did. People upgrading would flood the used market which should drop the sales (so that it's not entirely cumulative).

I thought it would run into similar behaviour as 4Pro did. People upgrading would flood the used market which should drop the sales (so that it's not entirely cumulative).
Would be interesting to get some sales numbers from gamestop. How many used consoles they sell. Because they get a lot of trade ins every time a new console launch but mid-gen must be higher than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back