Skyrim VR

I bought it, and twenty minutes later I could play it so I did ... it really gives a new ... perspective ... on an old game. It’s really awesome I have to say, despite the graphics being dated, some stuff is still really amazing. I think my biggest disappointment perhaps is that the headphone sound didn’t seem binaural, so I’ll try it again later with the regular 5.0 set I have, but when I got ambushed by wolves my reaction hacking them to bits instantly was really cool. And just walking (or in my case teleporting, I found that more comfortable for now) to a ledge and look down and about, or enjoy the view over a lake with huge mountains behind, or looking at the big moons moving in the sky, or just sitting down and being in that world and so on, it’s really quite compelling.

Also, Ian on Eurogamer streamed the first four hours, starting with DualShock controls and then switching to Move controls after about 42 minutes or so.

"Skyrim VR is the best RPG immersive VR experience available" 10/10 . For PlayStation VR.

The achievement made by The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR is one by way of both hardware and design to capitalise upon this. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR’s level of immersion is simply fantastic, and while Bethesda Softworks could well have gone the route of DOOM VFR and created a shorter spin-off experience, developing a brand new The Elder Scrollsinstalment specifically for VR would have taken many years and far too much in the way of resources for what is still a nascent audience. As it stands some may find the price point of the videogame a bitter pill to swallow, but for those who dreamed of a truly immersive role-playing experience, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR is simply the best opportunity available today.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/11/review-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-vr/

https://uploadvr.com/skyrim-vr-psvr-review/

Yup, it's pretty amazing! :D
Played around 2 hours today and at some time I went into panic mode and actually tried to turn around and run away xD It was not until I got entangled in the cables that I came back to my senses and faced the camera again! Talking about that, thank God the UI is fixed to the camera, helps a lot in keeping myself oriented.

This is something that VR games are going to have to try to come to terms with.

Then there's the feel of the weaponry. In standard Skyrim, a tiny dagger feels entirely different from a huge two-handed axe in speed, momentum, and power. In VR, both end up tied directly to the motion of a PlayStation Move controller, which you can flail with abandon. In turn, every melee weapon ends up feeling almost weightless as you swing it wildly through enemies with little sense of impact or finesse

Unlike using a controller, trying to make a weapon feel "weighty" in VR when there is no weight in the player's hands would lead to a massive disconnect between the perceived experience and what the player is trying to do.

So, just have the player hold a weighty object, I can imagine some people saying. But then you just end up needing more room for the VR experience (there's already plenty of videos showing players hitting their ceiling, ceiling light fixtures, monitors, TVs, etc. with the relatively small controllers that come with current gen VR. I don't think that's really an option.

An interesting problem for trying to make a VR world and environment "feel" like you're in the world.

Regards,
SB

That review is deeply flawed by ignoring the fact that you have free movement available with the moves as well, not only teleporting. It works quite well generally.

The biggest problem is that there's no easy way to move backward, making it very difficult to step out of range of an opponent or manage your relative positioning.

Not true at all. You can just press the left move button while pointing the move to yourself.

Seriously, have they not seen the dozens of videos on YouTube with people playing with the moves? It seems all they have played was the beta version many months ago and made a review based on that and not on the final build.

Indeed. There have been a few more flawed reviews like that, sometimes fixed later with a small addendum / correction. Shoddy homework because in interviews the dev has been quite clear about these changes in the final version. But it’s a busy time of year I guess.

That review is deeply flawed by ignoring the fact that you have free movement available with the moves as well, not only teleporting. It works quite well generally.

Not true at all. You can just press the left move button while pointing the move to yourself.

Seriously, have they not seen the dozens of videos on YouTube with people playing with the moves? It seems all they have played was the beta version many months ago and made a review based on that and not on the final build.

Sure but it still comes with problems attached.

https://uploadvr.com/preview-skyrim-vr-without-teleportation/

To use smooth movement with the Move controllers all you do is point your left Move controller in the direction you want to go and hold down the Move button on the front of the controller. That’s it. From here your character will slide in whichever direction you’re pointing that hand so you can strafe, go forwards, back-peddle, and everything else quite easily. Rotation is done with the face buttons on the right Move controller.

Controlling my character this way sort of felt like I was wearing rollerskates at first, or driving a vehicle, but it eventually felt pretty natural after a short while. The biggest issue with this control method is that it essentially means you can’t easily move and use your left hand in combat. While aiming the bow, for example, I’d stretch my left hand out to aim at an enemy and instinctively wanted to strafe or move a bit while aiming, but wasn’t able to since the controller was being used elsewhere at the moment and wasn’t pointed correctly.

Do you move or do you do a combat action attached to that controller? Choose, because you can't do both.

Looking at pictures of the Move controller on Amazon, did they seriously not put analog controls on the controllers? LoL, that would have solved the issue.

Regards,
SB

Sure but it still comes with problems attached.

https://uploadvr.com/preview-skyrim-vr-without-teleportation/

Do you move or do you do a combat action attached to that controller? Choose, because you can't do both.

Looking at pictures of the Move controller on Amazon, did they seriously not put analog controls on the controllers? LoL, that would have solved the issue.

Regards,
SB

I'm playing it and it's not as game breaking as it sounds. The npc's get to you pretty fast, no matter how much you walk backwards. Using the bow is pretty much reserved for when you have the high ground or to start a fight from afar. If you have the fire power to finish the fight before they come to you fine, but if you don't, no matter how much you want to walk back, it's not viable strategy. Tell me also this: who can realistically walk backwards and aim a bow at the same time in real life? It's not practical at all.

UploadVR are generally a bit hostile to PSVR and this is just them pretty much grasping at straws to paint in a bad light. Nothing new.

I play mostly with the traditional shield + one hand and it is pretty much amazing. I love to bash those bandits with my shield :D

Edit - Your link is also from a Preview. Did you not notice they have an actual final review? Or are you specifically cherry picking for bad impressions? Because the final is actually quite positive.

For a game this large and full of options I had my doubts that it’d translate to VR smoothly. After my latest hands-on demowhere I got the chance to try the smooth locomotion I was more confident, but was still unsure how the final product would fare. Thankfully Bethesda have done a solid job of capturing the vast majority of what makes Skyrim so grand

The moment when I first blocked an arrow with my shield by raising my left hand up, dashed forward, bashed the bandit by extending my shielded left arm forcefully, then proceeded to slash him several times with full arm swings of the PS Move controller in my right hand to finish him off was when it really hit me: this is Skyrim like I’ve never seen it before.

Pulling back an arrow with my actual hand and loosing it towards an enemy’s face, bashing spiders by swinging downward with a warhammer, or blasting two different enemy’s with the two different spells in my hands are all things I could never do in non-VR Skyrim. I couldn’t turn to look around at the starry night sky or hold my breath as I peek around a corner in a dark cave. It’s in these small, intimate moments that Skyrim’s soul peers out and reminds you why it’s one of the most celebrated games of all-time.

In the end, it is hard to really have a grasp of how good a VR game is from a written review. You have to experience it for yourself.

Last edited:
i don't understand why we can't use two dual shock 4 in VR games instead of move.

Hold it upright and the camera can’t see the light anymore. Holding it such that your hand blocks the light and the camera can’t see it anymore.

Yeah, Skyrim is one of the first games that I think solves a lot of the movement issues while holding two moves quite decently. I still get motion sickness though so I am still using teleportation when playing.

And yes, make sure you read up to date reviews [emoji6]or watch people playing the final game in streams, etc.

Has anyone here seen this running on a regular PS4? Ever since the Pro became a thing, reviews became even more useless than they were to begin with.:cry:
Granted, with most PS4 VR games the Pro doesn't add an awful lot (and if it does add a lot, the games in question usually look pretty great on the old model regardless), but Gran Turismo really loses what little VR appeal it had when you're stuck with the old console model. It's just a really blurry mess that's been stripped of all the cool little details.

Has anyone here seen this running on a regular PS4? Ever since the Pro became a thing, reviews became even more useless than they were to begin with.:cry:
Granted, with most PS4 VR games the Pro doesn't add an awful lot (and if it does add a lot, the games in question usually look pretty great on the old model regardless), but Gran Turismo really loses what little VR appeal it had when you're stuck with the old console model. It's just a really blurry mess that's been stripped of all the cool little details.

Hey, it is not a coincidence that PSVR has been driving PS4Pro adoption. I made the upgrade (after selling my PS4 and the FIFA 18 copy that came bundled with the PS4 Pro the cost was under PS4 slim) and dont regret it all. Most games show a much clearer and less blurrier image due to supersampling or even native sampling (RE7 was running below 1080p on OG PS4).

Ian from Eurogamer did his four hours on a regular PS4 and it seemed fine.

Back