Microsoft XBox One X Enhanced Games

Just read the campaign for BFII lasts only about 5 hours :(, was expecting much longer since Dice outsourced it to Criterion Software so more time could be dedicated to the story length.

wasnt the cpu a big bottleneck with the large crowds and all?
From the article
Hitting 60fps in High Framerate was quite challenging, but we managed to find a way to hit that 60 fps. Here’s how we did it: As the Hitman world simulation is very complicated, we were not able to optimize the simulation itself to run at 60fps, so instead we opted to double the number of rendered frames, and optimize the rendering instead. This means for every simulation tick, we render two frames, giving that smooth 60fps experience.

Yeah, a fluid presentation with responsive controls combined with stuttery enemy movements doesn't seem great.

That is until I think about what the alternative is. Everything stuttery at 30 FPS is just worse. At least I'd have a fluid presentation (with camera movements) and responsive controls even if the animation and simulation were at 30 FPS.

That, of course, assumes that control related things are also 60 FPS (IE - pressing the button to shoot your gun causes it to shoot immediately even if it's during a frame where the world simulation isn't being updated).

Otherwise, it's basically just like AFR turning a 30 FPS game into a 60 FPS game. Which would be rather meh to say the least. If it has the presentation (camera) of a 60 FPS game with 30 FPS controls, then yeah that would be just as horrible as AFR.

I'm interested to see how they are doing things.

Regards,
SB

think we have to wait to see just what world simulation covers.
it's possible that may still get smooth animation, I'm far from convinced that they won't deliver something that works reasonably well.
it's an interesting combination of options they have given.

Is animation generally handled by CPU or GPU?

To the best of my knowledge, AI is usually handled by the CPU, and I can't imagine that would be a problem updating at 30fps.

Animation though, might be jarring.

Is animation generally handled by CPU or GPU?

To the best of my knowledge, AI is usually handled by the CPU, and I can't imagine that would be a problem updating at 30fps.

Animation though, might be jarring.
I think the answer is, it depends. I believe dynamic/procedural animation is done GPU side (at least on consoles) where predetermined animation is likely done on CPU today (but could probably also be done GPU side).

[4K HDR] Digital Foundry's Best HDR Games For Xbox One X [Sponsored]

This video is sponsored by Xbox. Sponsored videos help to support and expand the work we do at Digital Foundry. We retain complete editorial independence when producing them.

We're a couple of weeks into our Xbox One X experience now, so John and Rich decided to put together a compilation video of our favourite HDR titles for the new console.

It's a native HDR video, so users with higher-end Roku devices, owners of Samsung 2016/17 screens or Chromecast Ultra streamers can view this video in full HDR. Alternatively, smartphone owners with Galaxy S8, S8+, LG V30 and others can also view this video in HDR.

[4K HDR] Digital Foundry's Best HDR Games For Xbox One X [Sponsored]

This video is sponsored by Xbox. Sponsored videos help to support and expand the work we do at Digital Foundry. We retain complete editorial independence when producing them.

We're a couple of weeks into our Xbox One X experience now, so John and Rich decided to put together a compilation video of our favourite HDR titles for the new console.

It's a native HDR video, so users with higher-end Roku devices, owners of Samsung 2016/17 screens or Chromecast Ultra streamers can view this video in full HDR. Alternatively, smartphone owners with Galaxy S8, S8+, LG V30 and others can also view this video in HDR.

I have been looking for this. Been looking for HDR titles ;)

Also they just recently announced the Christopher Nolan 4K UHD set!
Batmans + Interstellar + Inception + The Prestige + Dunkirk.

oooooo looking forward to buying that and Planet Earth II

Last edited:
Back