Intel Kaby Lake + AMD Radeon product *spin-off*

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Intel buying RTG would open the door for Nvidia to grab the CPU division. They would almost be crazy not to, if Intel are serious about discrete graphics. Jen-Hsun has a lot more leverage now than he did with Hector. I'm not sure Intel want to push him into that corner, owning your fabs ain't what it used to be.

The upgrade cycle wouldn't be all that different from most smartphones. Costs may come down as well once the design scales up. NUCs for example would be far cheaper than laptop designs. Outside of enterprise, I'm unsure how much demand will exist for discrete cards. There's really no reason a larger, or more power efficient GPU couldn't be included. Power usage might be high, but with an embedded chip the size of a Threadripper or larger cooling isn't that difficult. Also means one giant heatsink instead of multiple smaller ones with airflow issues.
So the enthusiast/some prosumer now expected to spend $1,200 every 14-24 months now to upgrade the GPU?
This is what Intel is targetting with this product for now, and a product with greater spec (say closer to the 1050ti/560/1060/570 mobile equivalent - yeah still way behind them I know) then higher that cost to replace the EMIB solution will be..
It is hard enough to get them to just replace the CPU every 4 years, let alone to convince them to spend substantially more to upgrade their GPU on same cycle as before.
Sure there will be a market for what your saying, but it is not clear cut for consumers who follow the cycle of wanting to upgrade GPUs.

Last edited:
EMIB is there for the HBM. Intel can still release discrete cards (or go dual socket) and get in on the faster GPU upgrade cycle.

Lol... after giving Kyle shit for a while, it’s time to take a look at two-fold prediction:
1) Intel will source graphics from AMD in some form or fashion
2) Raja’s final desires destination is Intel

Soo... waiter, two servings of crow please!

EMIB is there for the HBM. Intel can still release discrete cards (or go dual socket) and get in on the faster GPU upgrade cycle.
If you purchased one of these enthusiast mobile EMIB notebooks, how would a consumer replace the installed semi-custom GPU with the next generation semi-custom EMIB GPU?
It is unknown if they can even be purchased outside of the complete notebook/mobile product beyond being sourced to OEMs as a package (meaning with CPU).

Edit:
Ah ok I see what you mean by dual socket, even putting that aside they could still implement MXM as a way for discrete mobile GPUs to be added.
Would be interesting to see just how this works when the device would in theory have 3 GPUs then.

Last edited:
If you purchased one of these enthusiast mobile EMIB notebooks, how would a consumer replace the installed semi-custom GPU with the next generation semi-custom EMIB GPU?
It is unknown if they can even be purchased outside of the complete notebook/mobile product beyond being sourced to OEMs as a package (meaning with CPU).
I don't think anyone expects consumers to upgrade their laptop every year or two. I should have been more clear, my point was that EMIB is interesting for an entry into the mid to high-end GPU market because it allows Intel to immediately add value with cheaper HBM integration and a smaller overall package, even if they don't yet have a competitive GPU. If you're an OEM producing Intel-based systems that sell for $1000 or more, why would you not want the more efficient design? Apple execs went out of their way to praise HMB during the last Mac keynote.

My comment about discrete cards and dual-socket was regarding the desktop market.

Last edited:
It is hard enough to get them to just replace the CPU every 4 years, let alone to convince them to spend substantially more to upgrade their GPU on same cycle as before.
The average user never upgrades anything. They buy a new system because they want their operating system upgraded to the latest internet explorer. These systems likely wouldn't be big enough to support any discrete cards. Perhaps a dual socket design, but if stacked ram takes hold the entire motherboard is probably one embedded part. Much cheaper with no memory or slots adding complexity.

Yep I suppose Intel isn't stupid and noticed NVidia is finally raking in the dough on all that GPGPGPGPGPU stuff. Time to squash them like a bug.

Indeed the mystery is what is going on at RTG. Is Intel going to own the place next month?

Last edited:
Does the press release actually say that, though? As in that they will be *making* (i.e. developing) high-end discrete GPUs.

Every news site seems to be jumping to that conclusion, but the wording ("Expand Strategy to Deliver High-End, Discrete Graphics Solutions") is sufficiently vague that the very product announcement this thread is based on seems to fit that bill as well.

Does the press release actually say that, though? As in that they will be *making* (i.e. developing) high-end discrete GPUs.

Every news site seems to be jumping to that conclusion, but the wording ("Expand Strategy to Deliver High-End, Discrete Graphics Solutions") is sufficiently vague that the very product announcement this thread is based on seems to fit that bill as well.

That's a good point—that I have a feeling @silent_guy will appreciate.

The average user never upgrades anything. They buy a new system because they want their operating system upgraded to the latest internet explorer. These systems likely wouldn't be big enough to support any discrete cards. Perhaps a dual socket design, but if stacked ram takes hold the entire motherboard is probably one embedded part. Much cheaper with no memory or slots adding complexity.

If the average person never upgrades anything, then Nvidia consumer side would not make the large revenue and profit it does, especially when it launched Maxwell and importantly with Pascal.
PC Desktop sales are down every year, meaning most sales are coming from the average consumer buying discrete GPUs.

I guess it could come down to what is defined as the average consumer; you may see it as those that just buy all-in-one and did not include those that used to buy PC Desktop or more powerful laptops specifically for gaming/prosumer but now replace discrete GPUs.
Anyway as you go up the pricing ladder it becomes more likely the consumer will happily replace components such as dicrete GPU or buy it separately; and the Intel EMIB solution is not an entry product for now.
Where do those who buy 1050ti (or AMD equivalent) sit in the view of average consumer, it is a notable market to both manufacturers and they are not really enthusiast segment .

Last edited:
Back