Planning possible SFF build

Do you specifically need 4K+HDR from Netflix?

If so, your only choice is a Pascal nvidia card at the moment..

KL can't do HDR with the latest updates? I can't find much info on it.

@mrcorbo have you considered an Nvidia Shield? It will do everything you need in a very small and cheap form factor.

HDR support for Kaby Lake is imminent (supposed to be this month).

I have an Android TV box and that platform doesn't have sufficient web-browsing capabilities. You can sideload Chrome, but it doesn't work very well. Also the Shield has no HW 10-bit VP9 decoding support, so it can't do YouTube HDR.

Personally I go to YT for cat videos and the like; no HDR is not exactly a huge loss. What other, genuine use does that site have?

Dig deeper. There is some amazing content on there. Of course, if all you ever go on there for is cat videos, that's the type of content it's going to surface for you.

Youtube has some problems, but, as a platform where anyone with creativity, talent, and a reasonable equipment budget can produce high-quality content and then distribute it to a global audience for free, I think it's hugely important.

Last edited:
YT is neat for the hobbyist movie maker, sure, but is anyone really going to miss not having HDR? When YT insists on running a non-standard CODEC in the first place, I'm feeling I'll just go with what I get from them. Why bend over backwards, like?

Also the Shield has no HW 10-bit VP9 decoding support, so it can't do YouTube HDR.
Out of curiosity, what kind of content do you watch on YouTube that is also in HDR? I've never really seen YouTube as a content provider, though I know you can buy and watch movies on it.

YT is neat for the hobbyist movie maker, sure, but is anyone really going to miss not having HDR? When YT insists on running a non-standard CODEC in the first place, I'm feeling I'll just go with what I get from them. Why bend over backwards, like?

Again, you're missing out if all you're aware of is content from "hobbyist movie makers". Check out the NoClip channel's documentaries for a good example of what can be achieved by people working independently.

I don't really see what's non-standard about VP9 profile 2. My TV supports it. My 1060 supported it (though my 1080 doesn't for the same reason the Shield doesn't...timing). Kaby Lake supports it. Most Android devices released in the last year or two support it. It's not exactly some niche format.

Out of curiosity, what kind of content do you watch on YouTube that is also in HDR? I've never really seen YouTube as a content provider, though I know you can buy and watch movies on it.

Mostly demo material at this point. Digital Foundry have a couple of videos up now. I expect the uptake from content producers on YouTube, though, to be pretty fast as more and more devices support HDR given what we've already seen with 4K content availability on the service.

Youtube has been quite good in upgrading the quality possible in the videos throughout the years, I expect HDR uptake to happen pretty fast also. the 4K videos already have very good image quality and the HDR videos naturally even more so. Also the amount of content in Youtube is simply staggering. Pretty much any topic you can think off, you can find interesting videos about it. By far the most of my media consumption these days happen in Youtube, through my TV app.

OK. I'm doing this. This is the final form.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($128.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370N WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($160.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Black PCIe 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill - 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $570.43

The pricing will end up a little different because I sourced a few of the parts at Newegg at a premium so I could pay with some Bitcoin I had accumulated. Feeling pretty good about this as a sustainable platform that I'll be able to keep current with GPU upgrades down the road.

Why would you need an expensive Z370 motherboard? Your CPU is locked and you gain next to nothing by overclocking the memory.

Why would you need an expensive Z370 motherboard? Your CPU is locked and you gain next to nothing by overclocking the memory.

Z370 is currently the only chipset that supports the CPU I wanted. I could have waited for the mainstream Intel chipsets to launch or maybe for the Raven Ridge desktop platform and possibly saved some money, but I didn't want to.

Edit: Just looked to see what I could have gotten if I based this around a Gen 7 quad-core and the cheapest mini ITX motherboard with an HDMI 2.0 port is still $160. And, of course, the CPU is more expensive (and clocked slower).

Last edited:
Z370 is currently the only chipset that supports the CPU I wanted. I could have waited for the mainstream Intel chipsets to launch or maybe for the Raven Ridge desktop platform and possibly saved some money, but I didn't want to.

Edit: Just looked to see what I could have gotten if I based this around a Gen 7 quad-core and the cheapest mini ITX motherboard with an HDMI 2.0 port is still $160. And, of course, the CPU is more expensive (and clocked slower).

Oh wow, Intel sucks really bad with motherboards right now..

How about something for a fraction of the price?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157731

Those Apollo Lake's are really nice for the price. Playback pretty much anything.

Oh wow, Intel sucks really bad with motherboards right now..

How about something for a fraction of the price?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157731

That probably could have gotten the job done, but upgrade-ability was something I wanted after my current experience with an embedded product and I'm OK with paying a bit extra to have it. I intentionally overbuilt on the power supply, for example, with the idea that I *could* add a GPU to keep the codec support current and could add a faster/overclockable CPU down the road to add a little extra life to the platform at the end.

I'm personally waiting for Raven Ridge and H3xx chipsets to be released so I can compare and decide on my next HTPC.

If Raven Ridge doesn't have PlayReady support then wtf AMD.

Back