The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculative and out-of-order execution is targeted at complex serial code with long dependencies, where data access latency has a significant impact. Getting wider memory interfaces with more bandwidth doesn't necessarily mitigate access latency.
Agreed, but if page faulting it should speed things along. Allowing some speculative prefetching without necessarily impacting the critical path.

It was on the nose really, with that fake vacation and what not: Raja leaves AMD once and for all!

To my AMD family,

Forty is a significant number in history. It is a number representing transition, testing and change. I have just spent forty days away from the office going through such a transition. It was an important time with my family, and it also offered me a rare space for reflection. During this time I have come to the extremely difficult conclusion that it is time for me to leave RTG and AMD.

I have no question in my mind that RTG, and AMD, are marching firmly in the right direction as high-performance computing becomes ever-more-important in every aspect of our lives. I believe wholeheartedly in what we are doing with Vega, Navi and beyond, and I am incredibly proud of how far we have come and where we are going. The whole industry has stood up and taken notice of what we are doing. As I think about how computing will evolve, I feel more and more that I want to pursue my passion beyond hardware and explore driving broader solutions.

I want to thank Lisa and the AET for enabling me to pursue my passion during the last four years at AMD, and especially the last two years with RTG. Lisa has my utmost respect for exhibiting the courage to enable me with RTG, for believing in me and for going out of her way to support me. I would also like to call out Mark Papermaster who brought me into AMD, for his huge passion for technology and for his relentless support through many difficult phases. And of course, I want to thank each and every one of my direct staff and my indirect staff who have worked so hard with me to build what we have now got. I am very proud of the strong leaders we have and I’m fully confident that they can execute on the compelling roadmap ahead.

I will continue to be an ardent fan and user of AMD technologies for both personal and professional use.

As I mentioned, leaving AMD and RTG has been an extremely difficult decision for me. But I felt it is the right one for me personally at this point. Time will tell. I will be following with great interest the progress you will make over the next several years.

On a final note, I have asked a lot of you in the last two years. You’ve always delivered. You’ve made me successful both personally and professionally, for which I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I have these final requests from you as I leave:

. Stay focused on the roadmap!
. Deliver on your commitments!
. Continue the culture of Passion, Persistence and Play!
. Make AMD proud!
. Make me proud!

Yours,
Raja

https://videocardz.com/73921/raja-koduri-leaves-amd

I hope no one is surprised given the combination of no bonus/Vega turmoil/"Time with the family sabbatical" that EVERY SINGLE TIME is simply the precursor to inevitable departure.

Best if luck to him. At least this will break us out of the annoying:
"x is Raja's first design!
/hype shortfall
/no, x+1 is Raja's first design!
/hype shortfall
/no, x+2 is..." etc
cycle we we getting stuck in.

I hope no one is surprised given the combination of no bonus/Vega turmoil/"Time with the family sabbatical" that EVERY SINGLE TIME is simply the precursor to inevitable departure.

Best if luck to him. At least this will break us out of the annoying:
"x is Raja's first design!
/hype shortfall
/no, x+1 is Raja's first design!
/hype shortfall
/no, x+2 is..." etc
cycle we we getting stuck in.
No, but who will replace him?

FUCK IT AMD, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOUR THINKING?!?!

Raja, my very best wishes to you on whatever path you choose. Thank you for your friendship, and your patience in trying to explain complicated things to a moron like me and pulling it off. You're good people, you deserve a LOT better than this!!!

Oh, and to everyone else I'm just gonna do one big collective, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!", here to save time. ;) :p

Damn it AMD really shot themselves in the foot with this one, and HARD!

RTG needs both an Lead Administrator and a Chief Architect for the GPU business. Lisa Su can't be overcharged on his work, otherwise she will leave out of the ship.

The Administrator is far easier to contract than a great Chief Architect. But Raja got out of the ship likely for the lack of resouces to compete with chipzilla and graphzilla togheter, with a 1.2B R&D expense. Better Ryzen be paying off for AMD financial health, the current moment is so good for to get depressive with Raja's department. Such a great loss.

The scary part of this is AMD had the pieces and it's Intel and their resources ultimately putting them together. At least for now. The future is tightly integrated designs over discrete parts, which begs the question how the respective CPUs are competing going forward? Roughly identical graphics capabilities with the CPUs standing on their own merits?

Much of GCN and AMDs GPUs are only beginning to realize their potential, so it seems an odd time to change direction. APIs, development, and performance all seem to be moving the right direction.

The current deal only exists because AMD themselves is currently unable to serve such market.
A year ago I would have agreed with you. Today Ryzen can serve this market just as well as Intel can, so all this combo chip does is undercut their own CPU.

Not only that, but Intel is acting on the idea with the help of a competitor. The question remains who took the initiative here? Intel or more of a partnership with AMD?
As far as I understand, the GPU in charge is a semi-custom design requested by Intel.
It was their initiative 100%, they totally need to satisfy Apple.
A year ago I would have agreed with you. Today Ryzen can serve this market just as well as Intel can, so all this combo chip does is undercut their own CPU.
It's not about CPU, it's about the package and 2.5D integration.
The SKU is pretty niche for AMD to waste resources on anyway.

That depends on the existence of a non-compete clause in your contract.
These really should be outlawed. A person should always be able to ply their trade and make a living for themselves. If you don't work for someone anymore, they should have no input on what you are able to say or do.

If someone is to be barred from working for a competitor then the former employer should be legally required to pay them full salary and benefits for the duration.

...Not really a topic for this thread tho, I know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back