Microsoft XBox One X Enhanced Games

The cpu becomes a problem in physics or ai heavy games. Becomes an issue for populating open world games. Hard to think red dead 2 would have a 60fps mode even at 1080p. Likewise with gta or assassin's creed.
How much can be offloaded to GPU is the real question. It took some time but it looks like async compute is continually playing a larger factor for the consoles.

I imagine there are physics libraries that run on GPU but not every company is willing to pay for them yet.

You mean the higher res textures? They used native 1080p on PC for some stupid reason, so it's comparing to 4K downsampling on the 1X. :rolleyes: The highest level mip wouldn't have been used.
Lol apparently shadows?

The cpu becomes a problem in physics or ai heavy games. Becomes an issue for populating open world games. Hard to think red dead 2 would have a 60fps mode even at 1080p. Likewise with gta or assassin's creed.
Simulate the AI at the same rate - makes no difference to the graphics. Can also simulate physics at the same rate and interpolate results.

So will Cod WWII have the 4k HDR patch ready on launch day? It would suck if we have to wait a few days when the hardware is already here.

So will Cod WWII have the 4k HDR patch ready on launch day? It would suck if we have to wait a few days when the hardware is already here.
If referring to the 1X version I think COD patch is supposed to be nov 6.

Ah thanks, yeah I hope my 1X version gets the patch tomorrow so I can play the game in its full glory. So many gigs to download so little time.
I found some games required a hard reset to be flagged as enhanced. KI for instance won't flag for me, I do wonder if it's my store that is not updated.
But I think WWII is enhanced on the box. I wonder if it ships like that.

Last edited:
I suppose they're still busy sorting out everything and preparing for the launch, wouldn't be surprised things are getting delayed.

Elite dangerous enhancement details
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/389010
Greetings Commanders,
We are happy to announce that we will be supporting Elite Dangerous on the Xbox One X.
On the Xbox One X Elite Dangerous can output in true 4k; any other settings will depend on your console settings and the sort of monitor or TV you are using.
We’ve also added two new options: Performance and Quality options, and 1080p and 4k options. This second option will allow you to change the resolution the game renders to, which is an in-game setting that is completely independent from the settings within the Xbox One X itself. If the console’s settings are different, the output will be upscaled or downscaled.
To achieve the highest frame rate, you could choose Performance and 1080p. Alternatively you can choose higher quality graphics by using the Quality setting, at the cost of some performance. In short, you can pick what best suits you!
This update will go live on Monday November 6 at 11AM GMT (TODAY). This will only affect Xbox One players and will cause minimal downtime.
Thanks!

I like the sound of the options provided, has there been any reports of the 1X running on VRR monitors yet?

yea, they'll be covering everything :LOL:
was wondering if been reports from people who have it.

are all enhanced modes independent of console output resolution on the 1X?
Not sure, this would be an interesting thing to find out with the 1440p output. Somehow, I don't think they will do a 1440p native buffer. They might scale to 1440p directly though, as opposed to downscaling to 1080p then upscale to 1440p.

Not sure, this would be an interesting thing to find out with the 1440p output. Somehow, I don't think they will do a 1440p native buffer. They might scale to 1440p directly though, as opposed to downscaling to 1080p then upscale to 1440p.

I believe they replied to a question about tying modes to output similar to PS4 Pro and I believe they said all modes for all users. Will try to locate the quote but I am not sure who said it...

Reactions: Jay
I believe they replied to a question about tying modes to output similar to PS4 Pro and I believe they said all modes for all users. Will try to locate the quote but I am not sure who said it...
Yea, that does ring a bell actually.
One of their execs did say that.

That makes it flexible and means the user doesn't have to worry about how they have the 1X display output set either.

@Jay I was just coming here to post exactly the same thing!

I do wonder how they're doing the enhancements, if it's through tweaking of the emulator layer or if they're patching binaries of the X360 code.

@Jay I was just coming here to post exactly the same thing!

I do wonder how they're doing the enhancements, if it's through tweaking of the emulator layer or if they're patching binaries of the X360 code.
I also wonder that, because it has to be at an engine level.

The only thing that disappointed me in that sense is that in the DF article on the OneX, one of my favourite games ever, Oblivion runs at almost 10 times the resolution of the original, but I wonder why they didn't go for 4k native -my humble RX 570 runs untweaked Oblivion at 4k 60 without a single hitch-

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-microsoft-xbox-one-x-review

Back