Microsoft XBox One X Enhanced Games

In engine cut scenes have always been my favourite way of getting round video files. :D
obviously can't do as much with in engine cut scenes in terms of out and out quality, but with the quality of engines now I'm not sure if it would really bother gamers at all.

something else I'm curious about with these 1080p60 performance and 4k30 quality modes are, why is it even 1080p with base console settings.
that's a quarter of the resolution, i know gpu load isn't linear but what am i missing?

Anyone got evidence there's no audio compression on consoles? Both have hardware audio decompression.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-to-face-with-mark-cerny
Mark Cerny: There's dedicated audio hardware. The principal thing that it does is that it compresses and decompresses audio streams, various formats. So some of that is for the games - you'll have many, many audio streams in MP3 or another format and the hardware will take care of that for you.

Anyone got evidence there's no audio compression on consoles? Both have hardware audio decompression.
I don't think anybody is claiming this, just that games seem to be shipping increasingly with low or no audio compression. It's more than likely about licensing. It's cost publishers to save user's HDD space so why should they? Fuck users. :yep2:

I don't think anybody is claiming this, just that games seem to be shipping increasingly with low or no audio compression. It's more than likely about licensing. It's cost publishers to save user's HDD space so why should they? Fuck users. :yep2:
I think this has been more common practice in the PC space since the hardware is guaranteed available in the console space. IIRC console ports were always higher in size than PC, like titanfall 1, and we narrowed that down to uncompressed audio on PC.

Well that's good if people feel that way about it. The concept of "graphical" scaling works.

CPU scaling might be another issue. May need to wait a while to see how that plays out.

I think what we are going to see when it comes to Xbox One vs X1X titles... is the similar to that of early cross gen titles...

I think this has been more common practice in the PC space since the hardware is guaranteed available in the console space.
Under UWP the 'PC' space and Xbox space is the same thing. :yep2:

IIRC console ports were always higher in size than PC, like titanfall 1, and we narrowed that down to uncompressed audio on PC.
This gen it's it's not usual for Xbox distributions to be larger than PS4 which is perplexing as PS4's lack of format support has generally only created problems, e.g. issues with Fallout 4 mods.

Under UWP the 'PC' space and Xbox space is the same thing. :yep2:

This gen it's it's not usual for Xbox distributions to be larger than PS4 which is perplexing as PS4's lack of format support has generally only created problems, e.g. issues with Fallout 4 mods.
I may have wrote that wrong. The PC files are larger than console is what I meant to write.
I think console installs could be larger due to language packs etc. We cannot unchoose these items I think.

Not yet, anyways. The developers and publishers really need to begin using the new meta-tagging content pieces and installation features.

Well that's good if people feel that way about it. The concept of "graphical" scaling works.

CPU scaling might be another issue. May need to wait a while to see how that plays out.
yes I also wonder how they can achieve a generational leap when the game is mostly CPU bound

yes I also wonder how they can achieve a generational leap when the game is mostly CPU bound
Imagine it to be some form of Dx12 high drawcall based pipeline leveraging tons of async compute, ideally as much as possible via execute indirect.

Eg: Wolfenstein the New Colossus
Is: Vulcan Pipeline 30K drawcalls per frame
Insane amount of async compute on consoles
60fps

The cpu becomes a problem in physics or ai heavy games. Becomes an issue for populating open world games. Hard to think red dead 2 would have a 60fps mode even at 1080p. Likewise with gta or assassin's creed.

Back