GAF implodes after owner Evilore is accused of sexual assault

Can I start with the Warthog? I'm good at rolling it over accidentally and tooting the horn.

I'll make you guys look good.

So I finally got around to trying to sign up for reset era, and I used my ISP email...it says it's banned? Huh?

I get/expect free email services like yahoo being banned but my ISP email is the closest to an official one I have, what the heck? Anybody know?

Forum seems like GAF-lite already judging if they're being this nitpicky about signing up. I would figure at least in the beginning they'd want to take nearly all comers to increase traffic...

So I finally got around to trying to sign up for reset era, and I used my ISP email...it says it's banned? Huh?
Any ISP that will let you change your email address (which is most of them) can be abused. I used my work email address.

resetera already has almost 30k members and lack of traffic is most certainly not an issue. :nope:

They did accept all email accounts on the first day or so. I signed up on day 1 with a gmail account. Once they hit about ~8-10k users they closed that off.

Revisiting this I am quite surprised Resetera is handily winning the traffic wars a couple weeks later. The oldest message on GAf front page is some 5 hrs old vs like 5 minutes on Era for an example.

Some thoughts

It's about the posters. When the big sales agers went to resetera, so did I. Well, in read only mode since I cant sign up.

Was Zhuge EX the downfall of GAF??? The poster that took down Evilore and GAF admin? LOL, not really but, he was always popular, remained popular after GAF banned him in twitter exile, and I see now has an administrator tag on Reset...

I still think this wasn't about sexual harassment but how GAF admin treated their top posters. I think they were chafing to leave.

It's surprising/good resetera was able to immediately respond with a good strong server. If they hadn't had that in the early days who knows how things would have progressed, outages would have sapped confidence in them quickly.

I still like Neogaf's readability better, but I'm getting used to Era board software fast. Sometimes it's even a nice change after staring at the same thing for ten years. Probably could argue it's a reason GAF failed too. No updates to software.

At the end it's not much different but if the admin at Era is even a little more transparent, less dictatorial, and (yes) less anti-Xbox than GAF, I think it's good. So far those things seem true.

I gave in to ResetEra and used my work email to register there, but can't change it to gmail after registration because it shows the same error when you try to register with gmail. Bummer.

I get/expect free email services like yahoo being banned but my ISP email is the closest to an official one I have, what the heck? Anybody know?

Forum seems like GAF-lite already judging if they're being this nitpicky about signing up. I would figure at least in the beginning they'd want to take nearly all comers to increase traffic...

Just lurk.

I think a gaming forum takes itself too seriously if it requires an "official" email address to sign up.

I'm not giving a work email to help a forum mitigate the potential bad behavior of troublesome and determined members.

My gaming opinions and my need to express them aren't that important.

LOL.

I'm the same: in the past I've gone to sign up to Neogaf, realised that I'd have to dig out some email address I don't use, and just given up.

And if I really want to simulate posting there, I'll just scream anti-MS, hyper politically correct phrases into a pillow.

Back