Microsoft Xbox One X (XBOX) Reviews and Impressions

Rich from DF has seems positive on noise level...at least in terms of the pitch of the noise he says it's not intrusive. I'm just curious if that observation was during something like Gears 4 4K mode where it would be taxing it to the max..

I was under the assumption they were meant to be stacked. (at least the SDKs are) which is why they have side and rear venting now, instead of vertical intakes.
But looking at the image where we see a very hot spot on the case without anything on top of it, I would avoid putting anything on it.

Launch PS4 (cuh1000?) had a similar issue but lower temperature for the hot spot, I put my ps3 on it and it made the fan a bit more audible. Both powered on at the same time made the ps3 really spin up.

Last edited:
Also the first tests we see are in 21C offices, with Richard saying has 40db of background noise. Maybe that's why we always have great results at launch. Still I think xb1x will tolerate summer heat better than the launch Pro because it operates at a higher temp.

Xbox One X Enhanced Games @ 4K w DSR to 1080p vs the Xbox One version of the game lol.

Pretty big difference. lol it's actually kind of funny. lol oh man.
http://www.xboxygen.com/News/26025-...p-oui-c-est-plus-beau-et-on-le-prouve?lang=fr

That's to be expected for titles that offer basically free supersampling at 1080p (IE - free relative to the standard game performance at 4k). There should be just as large or a larger difference for titles with specific 1080p Enhanced modes which trade off downsampling from 4k for additionaly graphical IQ settings.

In other words even on a 1080p set, as long as the title has been enhanced in some way (resolution, IQ, or a combination of the two) the XBO-X should offer easily seen differences compared to the title running on the base XBO.

Regards,
SB

Looks like an exception, or caching of previouly loaded assets still in the additional memory, because..
3311412-xbox+one+x+boot+times.png

Looks like an exception, or caching of previouly loaded assets still in the additional memory, because..

Is that chart graph from Internal drive or external drive moved from xbox one to xbox one x?

Is Gears/Instinct patched in this test? Think the caching benefit goes out the window for enhanced games..just like forced 16X AF, Vsync..

Where is that graph from... ArsTechnica?

Is that chart graph from Internal drive or external drive moved from xbox one to xbox one x?
Good question, it's the gamespot review, it's the internal drive because they were checking 50% faster drive claims. Seems game dependent as usual.

Yeah I think the RAM caching for non-patched games is a significant contributor to the improved loading times we are seeing. I'd like to see a Xbox One S(game x) vs Xbox One X(game x) vs Xbox One X(game x-post patch) loading comparison to get any idea of differences.

Yeah I think the RAM caching for non-patched games is a significant contributor to the improved loading times we are seeing. I'd like to see a Xbox One S(game x) vs Xbox One X(game x) vs Xbox One X(game x-post patch) loading comparison to get any idea of differences.
But it only helps if the data was previously loaded, like reloading a level after dying. Or loading a game, quitting, and reloading the same game immediately. Modern methods are much better, loading the expected future data in background instead of caching previous stuff. That requires active involvement from the game engine so that excludes unpatched games.

Last edited:
But it only helps if the data was previously loaded, like reloading a level after dying. Or loading a game, quitting, and reloading the same game immediately. Modern methods are much better, loading the expected future data in background instead of caching previous stuff. That requires active involvement from the game engine so that excludes unpatched games.

Yeah I mean I'm not sure how Microsoft is actually doing this behind the scenes. 4GB for "caching" would be significant imo. Perhaps with that much to play with there is some level of loading in "expected future data".

Just that cutting over half the load time in that GTA V (tweeter say's it's the initial story load, but who knows) tweet seems like it would be more than improved cpu and hard drive but maybe that's all it is...

Here's some Game Load Times as measured by TrueAchievements -- https://www.trueachievements.com/n30374/xbox-one-x-review. Seems like more of a time difference between the internal drives. I'd like to see boot time comparisons of the same game and same console between internal and external drives too.

External drive:

We tested loading times from both the internal hard drive and an external drive using a variety of different games. On an external drive, the Xbox One X was faster by up to 10%, with Killer Instinct taking 39 seconds on the X and 43 seconds on the Xbox One, and Gears of War 4 taking 52 seconds on the X compared to 55 seconds on the One.

Internal drive:

The results from games tested from the internal hard drive offered a much bigger speed boost in favour of the Xbox One X — up to 44% faster in the case of Limbo.

Back