Marketing Muscles and Scandals *Hyperboles*

Maybe, but the iMac Pro is a €/$ 5000 computer. Not that big a market for those...
When you consider the price of the flagship iPhone (whenever it launches) it is a bargain :)

I agree though the market will not be massive, but quite a few on older iMacs have been waiting some time for a decent upgrade, and compounding this is Apple are pretty stringent when it comes to suppliers so AMD probably has to play it safe from a logistics-channel perspective.
So if AMD is not at full capacity in terms of production for Vega I can see custom models being hurt and at the end of the queue.

Also are the Radeon Instinct available from certain channels or HPC/datacenter service providors yet, I can see this also having priority over custom Vega models if there is a logistics component shortage/yield challenge somewhere.

Also are the Radeon Instinct available from certain channels or HPC/datacenter service providors yet, I can see this also having priority over custom Vega models if there is a logistics component shortage/yield challenge somewhere.
They could at some point start to move chips over from reference card production to their OEMs, because this really is getting ridiculous. They friggin' SAID early september for availability, we're at the very last few days of october now and no update on their new schedule!

What's the big hold-up anyway? Vega isn't that big of a chip, so yields there can't be THAT bad; HBM2, well, vega uses just 2 stacks and a smaller interposer versus the 4 stacks/very large interposer on the rage fury, so how is this a bottleneck when the fury never was in this bad a state of production?

They could at some point start to move chips over from reference card production to their OEMs, because this really is getting ridiculous. They friggin' SAID early september for availability, we're at the very last few days of october now and no update on their new schedule!

What's the big hold-up anyway? Vega isn't that big of a chip, so yields there can't be THAT bad; HBM2, well, vega uses just 2 stacks and a smaller interposer versus the 4 stacks/very large interposer on the rage fury, so how is this a bottleneck when the fury never was in this bad a state of production?
The answer is always Apple, they make mess of any supply chain they touch.
Remember full Tonga on launch? Me neither.

The answer is always Apple, they make mess of any supply chain they touch.
You're just speculating though. And haven't we been through this already (and caused a new thread to be spun off)? iMac Pro = $/€ 5000 computer and all that, yes?

If AMD cannot produce enough volume to fulfill the contract with Apple while supplying their partners, how is that Apples fault?

Yeah it is strange no news on why or what the hold up is, made more curious because there are no shortages of Vega 'reference' products and plenty seem to be available.
But regarding their timelines, well look back to 290/290X, the custom models were like 5 months later and well behind expected dates, difference is back then it was more known why
I do think it is a culmination of factors, compounded by the Apple deal and also datacenter/HPC and maybe professional workstations that would not normally go for custom models anyway who are not waiting for a firepro type model.
Considering early days of 8-Hi HBM2 and all the production and packaging logistics it may be they are not up to a level to match all these diverse demands *shrug*.

But one known; AMD does not seem to put as much critical importance on custom cards as Nvidia in the consumer market, we see this repeated over time since Hawaii and even with Polaris to a lesser extent in time to market with said models - relative to Nvidia.

Last edited:
How does this stop Apple from messing up the supply chain?
My point was always that since iMac Pro is such an expensive device it won't experience huge demand, and thus impact on supply chain would be limited. Surely you must have realized this; maybe stop being obtuse on purpose?

Back