Gaming Experiences (Console, PC, Mac, Tablet, Phone) *spawn*

Rangers

Legend
Does anybody else have this weird hangup over comparing their console to their current PC?

For example, it felt right when I had a RX 480 in my PC, well more powerful than Xbox One (5+ teraflops vs 1.2).

Then I sold the Rx 480 to crypto miners since I rarely (never?) PC game and they were fetching a lot. I didn't replace it with anything. Even toyed with the Destiny 2 PC beta on my i5 6600K's IGP because I didn't have any graphics card.

Lately I've been looking a bit maybe for something cheap (since I dont PC game much!) AMD since I'm typically AMD, plus all the cheap monitors are freesync not Gsync. So maybe like a RX 560? It doesn't help that AMD GPU prices are just now coming back down and are still a bit on the high side although getting better lately.

Anyways the point is it just doesn't feel right if/when I get my One X and my console is way more powerful than my PC for the foreseeable future. I'd have to get a $450+ RX Vega 56 to significantly outpower the One X, and that aint happening no time soon. It's always supposed to be PC for the best experiences!

First world OCD problems, I guess

The last time I felt my console (GPU at least) was as or more powerful than my PC would have surely had to have been 2005 Xenos.

Also IGN unboxing

Last edited:
It's always supposed to be PC for the best experiences!

You're buying into the PCMR FUD. Some PC's can run some games much better than consoles, but it depends on your PC and your console. Lots of PCs are only suitable for very light gaming, or gaming where you have to reduce all the settings super low.

Last year I decided I wanted in on the Xbox ecosystem and I had a choice of PC or console. This was before any substantive rumours on what became Xbox One X but lots of speculation. I gambled on PC because a) I have an established Steam library and b) because Microsoft seemed to be wanting to bring more traditional Xbox exclusives to PC. So in May last year I bought a small PC, 4.4Ghz i7 6700K, 32Gb DDR4 and Geforce 1080. This is still a decent gaming PC and I play pretty much everything at 60fps 1440p. I simply cannot see any benefit to full 4K - my 55" TV is 6-8 ft from my sofa and I'm 46. 4K is definitely wasted on my eyes, but 1440p does offer a distinct improvement over 1080p - just smoothing the jaggies out.

But I think gambled badly and waiting for Xbox One X would have been the better option. I loathe having to manage my PC gaming box. Plus Halo is AWOL on Windows unless you're satisfied only with Forge. I am very much considering selling the PC and buying an Xbox One X. I don't even care that much about 60fps over 30fps. I've been gaming at 30fps for longer than I got used to 60fps (and 50fps in the UK). 30fps doesn't bother me.

Sorry, didn't really answer your question. Kind of yes to that. Whenever I get a new piece of gaming hardware (PC or console) I tend to gravitate towards that and neglect the other thing. Generally I always return to console because it's a nicer experience.

You're buying into the PCMR FUD. Some PC's can run some games much better than consoles, but it depends on your PC and your console. Lots of PCs are only suitable for very light gaming, or gaming where you have to reduce all the settings super low.

Last year I decided I wanted in on the Xbox ecosystem and I had a choice of PC or console. This was before any substantive rumours on what became Xbox One X but lots of speculation. I gambled on PC because a) I have an established Steam library and b) because Microsoft seemed to be wanting to bring more traditional Xbox exclusives to PC. So in May last year I bought a small PC, 4.4Ghz i7 6700K, 32Gb DDR4 and Geforce 1080. This is still a decent gaming PC and I play pretty much everything at 60fps 1440p. I simply cannot see any benefit to full 4K - my 55" TV is 6-8 ft from my sofa and I'm 46. 4K is definitely wasted on my eyes, but 1440p does offer a distinct improvement over 1080p - just smoothing the jaggies out.

But I think gambled badly and waiting for Xbox One X would have been the better option. I loathe having to manage my PC gaming box. Plus Halo is AWOL on Windows unless you're satisfied only with Forge. I am very much considering selling the PC and buying an Xbox One X. I don't even care that much about 60fps over 30fps. I've been gaming at 30fps for longer than I got used to 60fps (and 50fps in the UK). 30fps doesn't bother me.

Sorry, didn't really answer your question. Kind of yes to that. Whenever I get a new piece of gaming hardware (PC or console) I tend to gravitate towards that and neglect the other thing. Generally I always return to console because it's a nicer experience.

best experience doesnt only means best visuals tho. For me, KB+M and the ability to play on-the-go is the best experience, thus i play left4dead2 on a 7 watt tablet. But i also like PSVR (despite its shitty visual, compared to normal games) so i also brings PS4 pro + PSVR into the jungle.

waiting for a windows tablet with Ryzen APU with decent price now :D

best experience doesnt only means best visuals tho. For me, KB+M and the ability to play on-the-go is the best experience, thus i play left4dead2 on a 7 watt tablet. But i also like PSVR (despite its shitty visual, compared to normal games) so i also brings PS4 pro + PSVR into the jungle.

I agree, I think Rangers was referring to the way the game runs technically. I game on an iMac (XCom, Total War, Minecraft, Stellaris etc) using keyboard and mouse; on PS4, Switch and PC using controllers-only. I used to favour keyboard and mouse for first person games but I've long since adapted and genuinely prefer a controller. The analogue movement and button mappings work better for me. But people are different. :yes:

I play overwatch, heroes of the storm on a garbage gaming laptop. Overwatch to play at 60fps with mouse and keyboard with friends, compromised with the lowest graphics options known to humanity. I'd probably play them both on console if it had keyboard/mouse and 60fps.

Back