Microsoft XBox One X Power Usage

MrFox

Deludedly Fantastic
Legend
I know this might only be surface beauty, but damn the Xbox One X packs so much into such a tiny box. Here's a look without any "tricks"

Photos taken from DigitalFoundry unboxing video:
Nice, those shots are so much more representative. It's quite obvious from the teardowns that the power supply was eating up a lot of depth space in the pro. Everything else is more or less equivalent. More heat sink area on the X, should handle more watts.

Too bad DF were not yet allowed talk about wattage. Time for a last minute wild guessing with questionable percentages...

Starting with 155 watts from the launch PS4P as a reference (chaining percentages, not added):
-7% From very high efficiency PSU (they need it for that type of compact psu)
-2% Higher efficiency VRMs (like 92 to 94)
-5% general process/yield improvements for 2017 versus 2016
-5% whatever they did for power delivery but didn't describe.
-3% from not having DR FP16
+40% for gpu clocking, additional ram

The fox says... 173 watts peak

Nice, those shots are so much more representative. It's quite obvious from the teardowns that the power supply was eating up a lot of depth space in the pro. Everything else is more or less equivalent. More heat sink area on the X, should handle more watts.

Too bad DF were not yet allowed talk about wattage. Time for a last minute wild guessing with questionable percentages...

Starting with 155 watts from the launch PS4P as a reference (chaining percentages, not added):
-7% From very high efficiency PSU (they need it for that type of compact psu)
-2% Higher efficiency VRMs (like 92 to 94)
-5% general process/yield improvements for 2017 versus 2016
-5% whatever they did for power delivery but didn't describe.
-3% from not having DR FP16
+40% for gpu clocking, additional ram

The fox says... 173 watts peak

Pretty close, Anandtech got 172 watts for an Xbox X enhanced title

u2HH2JP.png

The power requirements look quite ok to me though Idle could be better but then what do we know what the XBox OS does in "idle state". Are there similar measurements about the Pro available?

Disappointing that idle draw is still so damn high. I'd love for it to go down enough that powering off the fan would be feasible.

That's pretty good, remains to be seen if later title push it beyond 175W.

And what variation will happen on a per console basis...

Not a fan of the idle either. If I ever get an X, I may turn off the standby mode. I probably won't bother with Kinect to turn it on anyway. Will lose those standby updates though, which considering the file sizes may be handy.

Will lose those standby updates though, which considering the file sizes may be handy.
Maybe the console could power on every once a day or so, check for updates, then power off. PC architecture allows it, so a x64-based console should be as well, technically anyway...

Has this been a case in previous consoles ?
Considering Assassins Creed is 119W, Luckys Tale is 143W and GoW4 changes from 145W to 175W just by choising IQ versus Frame Rate, It's a big range which means we have no idea if GoW4 is a max tdp case. It's just the highest from a handful.

PS360 generation had almost zero power management, so it didn't matter much.

Considering Assassins Creed is 119W, Luckys Tale is 143W and GoW4 changes from 145W to 175W just by choising IQ versus Frame Rate, It's a big range which means we have no idea if GoW4 is a max tdp case. It's just the highest from a handful.

I mean, have things changed from 2013 titles to 2017 titles.

The power requirements look quite ok to me though Idle could be better but then what do we know what the XBox OS does in "idle state". Are there similar measurements about the Pro available?
Idle (while downloading stuff): 71W-75w according to DF and another tester.
Max power consumption (Infamous First Light 1800c uncapped): 155W

Idle state is turned on and sitting at the DashBoard Home Screen.

phew, for some reason I interpreted Idle as 'Standby mode' I was like.. what the numbers?

The chart from AT refers to it as "Instant-On", when I always thought of it as "standby mode" too.

Back