Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
the FCU update is actually pushed into CU too?

i mean, my CU W10 also got Mixed Reality app, despite it should come with FCU

updated my Windows 10 sony vaio tap 11 from CU to FCU

w1fcu.jpg
  • broken taskbar icon layout
  • random slowdown of Bluetooth mouse
  • no new "creators" app (Paint 3D, mixed reality viewer, 3D remix online gallery thingy, all already available in CU), no Story Remix app.
  • blazing fast "start"
  • laggy keyboard typing

Thre is no story remix app at all, its features should be integrated in that bloatware app called "Photo" (really why there is no option to completelty disable the auto-tagging with machine larning crap?).
As for "creators" apps, you can download them from the store. To uninstall them, you need to use the terminal, which sucks.

OK, looks like the FCU has a feature I've been hoping they would put in for a long time now.

FCU now allows you to set upload and download limits for Windows Update. This is great considering that I need to try to stay under the 1 TB bandwidth cap (before massive overage charges) for Comcast internet. 1 TB sounds like enough until you have multiple people trying to watch 1080p/60 or 4K VODs and streams. :( Really REALLY hate that the cap is so low.

At least being able to limit the bandwidth that Windows Update uses will be helpful.

Regards,
SB

In that case aren't you better off setting up that LAN update sharing thing instead of capping bandwidth? I assume you still want all the updates. Or setup a WSUS.

Yes, except in the Creator's Update when you set that up, it also automatically enables sharing with the Internet at large (you can change it). IE - you save bandwidth downloading to multiple machines, but now you're potentially spending bandwidth uploading it to the internet.

With FCU, I can set a monthly upload cap. So I can contribute if I want and can afford to, or I can limit it to better manage my ISP bandwidth cap.

Regards,
SB

anybody have a ton of their settings got reset yet again with FCU? not only windows settings, but also software settings (e.g. intel display setting got reset to default)

Thre is no story remix app at all, its features should be integrated in that bloatware app called "Photo" (really why there is no option to completelty disable the auto-tagging with machine larning crap?).
As for "creators" apps, you can download them from the store. To uninstall them, you need to use the terminal, which sucks.

but the photo app i have is still the same old photo app with zero 3d functionality :(

no video app with 3D too

no creators app on store

I've not received the FCU yet. I think I'll force it tomorrow while watching the local football team being demolished. Is it a long update process (on a middle of the road SATA SSD)?

I hope I wont encounter any of the negative issues brought up here.

I've not received the FCU yet. I think I'll force it tomorrow while watching the local football team being demolished. Is it a long update process (on a middle of the road SATA SSD)?

Took my machines around 15-25 min each I think

20MB/s HDD took around 1 hour

I thought it would limit to LAN if you choose the LAN only option?

It should. But I like the ability to set limits on the bandwidth used when downloading updates in addition to the option to limit upload bandwidth.

It's a small thing, but there's been a few months where I've squeaked in just a GB or two under the Comcast cap due to how much video is streamed here (YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, Twitch, etc.). With the ability to more finely control the bandwidth being used I can try to manage things better.

Can someone make a device that lets me control people in my house? :p

Regards,
SB

Good luck. I had a relatively trouble free install other than running into the blank icons in the start menu issue. Fun with unpinning and pinning programs to get the icons to have pictures on them again. The problem is with Steam links in the start menu, you can't re-pin them after unpinning them. Not sure why Steam can't just put regular shortcuts in the start menu location instead of their weird Internet Shortcut links (Steam shortcuts are URL links the use steam://rungameid/#######) that can't be directly pinned. It's annoying.

Ran the MS Start Menu Troubleshooter which fixed the icon database, but that didn't fix the blank icons for programs on my game drive. /sigh.

[edit] I just found a workaround on my own. Just resize the icon and the picture of the icon comes back. Then just resize back to the original size.

Regards,
SB

I forgot how long my the process on my PC, but I think around 30mins (probably a bit less than that) on my old-ish ssd. The problem is that my memory kinda mixed up on how long the actual install process took. Basically I checked for update, it downloaded the update, preparing for installation, installing, reboot several times for the actual installation. I assume when someone is asking about how long, they only wanted to know how long before they can use the PC again which is the time I mentioned above.
As for some setting got reset, at least my network and internet setting (the one where you can choose to enable file and print sharing, etc) was back to default. Also my audio switcher app need to be configured again. And I don't know whether this is because of how FCU handles notification or because my customization is removed but when an app put notification and it put up another notification, it piles up. For example, I've got failed upload notification from Google photos upload which before the update it only showed 1 notification even if it reminded me multiple times. Now it keeps every notification from it.

I started & went to the loo, was done when I got back (SSD) other than the 'setting some things up' bit after login :)

That makes sense hoom, you have to login after you got a log out
(beyond 3d come for the technical info, stay for the world class comedy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back