Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite, etc CrossPlay on every Platform but Sony because...

"We are happy to announce the Cross-Network Play for #CrazyJustice between #NintendoSwitch #PC #XboxOne #indiedev #gamedev #UE4 #indiegame"

If this ever sees the light of day. Call me cynical about feature announcements for non-games given the number of projects that die in early access - if they ever get that far.

I find myself buying a ton of indie games (Stardew Valley, Flame in the Flood) and probably Mantis Racing on Switch. Not because of this but just because Switch is a bloody great piece of hardware. Some games are just more appealing in a 'play anywhere' context.

Sorry O/T. More cross-play! I don't care!!! :runaway:
so you're saying there's a chance you're warming up to my idea in the other thread ;)?

so you're saying there's a chance you're warming up to my idea in the other thread ;)?

Nope. Cross-play between Windows and Xbox is a no-brainer and Nintendo jumping onboard is also a no-brainer given how few Switch owners there are, compounded by it being a mobile device so plenty of devices not being connected to the internet. It's difficult enough to gain traction in terms of players for multiplayer. This was a gift from the gaming Gods.

It's unrelated to SIE's operations.
It's also not unprecedented. Sony had Verrant Interactive (EverQuest, Star Wars MMOs) under Sony Computer Online Entertainment which was separate from their core PlayStation business.

What is odd is why Sony's music division is publishing games. What next, books?

That was the easy part. Now comes the hard part where a lot of aspiring developers falter. Actually (1) getting to an early access release and more importantly (2) releasing a finished version of a game. There's a lot of crowd funded efforts on Steam which are never getting finished as the various developers have abandoned the respective projects due to a variety of reasons (running out of money, losing interest, maybe it was a scam in the first place, etc.).

A lot of wonderful projects have finished, however, and given us games that would never have existed otherwise. So it's good and bad. A gamble.

Regards,
SB

Seems like Microsoft is helping others to get cross-platform play going, even if their software title(s) competes with MS IP.

http://www.businessinsider.com/roblox-xbox-one-cross-platform-play-microsoft-2017-10

• Roblox, a popular online game with 56 million players, will let Xbox One gamers play with their friends on smartphones and PCs, starting later this week.
  • Microsoft helped Roblox build the feature — despite the fact that Roblox is a chief competitor to Microsoft's own Minecraft.
Roblox, a massively popular online game, is giving its Microsoft Xbox One fans an early Halloween treat: Starting later this week, Roblox gamers on the Xbox One will be able to play with their friends on PCs and smartphones.

Previously, Roblox users on the Xbox One could only play with each other. Meanwhile, Roblox has let smartphones, tablets, and PCs all play together in harmony for years now. With this update, the Xbox One joins the fun.
Which makes it a little funny that Microsoft actually helped Roblox to accomplish the feat of getting this cross-platform play running. According to Roblox CEO David Baszucki, Microsoft came in and helped the company smooth out the technical wrinkles involved in letting the Xbox One "talk" to Roblox players on other platforms.

"They've welcomed us as if we were a completely neutral partner," says Baszucki. He sees it as "a testament to Microsoft's vision under [CEO] Satya [Nadella] as being part of a more connected world."
In fact, Baszucki says that Microsoft helped bring Roblox to the Xbox One in the first place. Because all the games and characters on Roblox are generated and sold by players for real money, it presented a tricky challenge: the Xbox One wasn't really built for letting players swap and sell their own creations.

Baszucki says Microsoft worked with them to figure out a solution, growing from a small, curated selection of games and content into a full-fledged version of the core marketplace. Now Roblox's developers have a real opportunity to make money from Xbox gamers, while simultaneously giving those gamers more games to play for free.

You forgot an important quote.

Still, that makes it little wonder that Microsoft would play ball. Besides, anything that makes Roblox better for Xbox One gamers is going to help Microsoft sell more Xbox consoles this holiday season.

MS is trying to sell things and being in third place has changed their view from last gen.

You forgot an important quote.

MS is trying to sell things and being in third place has changed their view from last gen.
Personally for me, evidence seems to suggest Satya was a big reason for this shift and not being in 3rd place. They were 2nd place for quite a long time, and I don't think NSW devices has surpass gross XBO sales yet in 5 months.

Just announced, ARK: Survival Evolved is now an Xbox Play Anywhere title where Xbox One and Win 10 PCs can cross-play and if you bought it already on Xbox you already own it for Win 10.

https://survivetheark.com/index.php...ilable-now-on-windows-10-with-crossplay-r638/

For those wanting to jump into the CrossPlay experience immediately, you can do so by browsing our Official Server network for matches titles 'CrossPlay'. We've launched 24 servers, a mixture of PvE and PvP, clustered by region available to play right now! (All Official Servers will become CrossPlay enabled in the future once BattlEye, or an equivalent Microsoft anti-cheat system, functions on the Windows 10 Store.) Also, you'll currently find a large quantity of player-hosted Dedicated & Non-Dedicated CrossPlay sessions to join!

CrossPlay is enabled by default for anyone hosting a server via their consoles. You can disable it, by just unchecking the 'Enable CrossPlay' option when hosting a session! It'll appear in a dialogue box, after beginning to host a server.

For those using a Nitrado PC server, CrossPlay is disabled by default. You can enable the setting, by logging onto your administration panel, select the 'General' tab under 'Settings', checking the 'CrossPlay' checkbox, save the changes and restart your server!

The launch of the Windows 10 version also brings the single player & non-dedicated split-screen to PC! Over time we'll be working on incorporating the same feature onto the Steam version of the game.

Since it release on November 21st, how did it turn out? They say it's free to play, but it doesn't look like it's F2P with microtransactions. They do list many different VR platforms -- "so you can play with friends on Rift, Vive, PlayStation VR, Windows VR, etc "

I downloaded it, but have not tried it. I hear good things online, people think it is a killer app. I'm not sure how they make money, maybe Sony paid them.

Back