Movie Reviews 2.0

Well I hope I didn't ruin the disappointment by over selling it, but it really is an epic mess. :) Michael Bay's final fuck you to the viewers. "oh so you didn't like the previous ones, here take a piece of this gem!" :)

I also thought the first Transformers was pretty good for what it is other than the shaky cam ruining many of the action scenes. also the one before this wasn't nearly as bad as this imo.

I just don’t understand how these movies are still being made. I mean I do, people keep going to see them. But surely there’s a slither of creative dignity left in the makers that makes them think Ok maybe we should start making good movies now?

I think the most recent one wasn't quite as successful (still made more than 600 million worldwide, so a very healthy profit regardless), but most of the others have made more than a billion dollars each. You don't wanna meddle with a formula this successful. It's the CoD of the film industry. Each year the internet is throwing a fit, yet when even the least successful entry (infinite Warfare) sells 10+ million units, why shoudld Activision give much of a fuck?

Well Beyond 3D folks aren't exactly the target market for these films...

Blade Runner 2049 review: Scott's vision versus Villeneuve's skill
It's worth seeing this on the biggest screen possible and with a Dolby Atmos sound system, or the nearest equivalent, to get the most out of it. Also, empty your bladder beforehand – at two hours, 43 minutes it's a very long time to sit if your back teeth are floating – and you won't be able to leave your seat without missing something important.
As the credits rolled after a breathtaking last few minutes, the audience seemed stunned before breaking out in applause. Far from ruining the story, or just remaking it like The Force Awakens, Blade Runner 2049 can not only stand up on its replicant legs as a superb film in its own right, but also plays suitable homage to its predecessor.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/06/review_blade_runner_2049/

Saw blade runner. Brilliant.

If you liked the first you will love the sequel. Seems to improve on every aspect of the original. Really faithful

Really good.

Watch the shorts for BR49 before going into this one. Really helps cement the whole picture.

edit: link to the shorts - keep note of the dates
https://geekdad.com/2017/10/blade-runner-2049-short-films/

Last edited:
Sounds like the movie might benefit from a "roadshow version" like Lawrence of Arabia and other epic films had. Typically this includes an intermission while a special score is played. This way the people who don't want to leave their seats don't feels as inconvenienced, they're getting added value.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadshow_theatrical_release
A roadshow theatrical release (known also as reserved seat engagement) was a term in the motion picture industry for a practice in which a film opened in a limited number of theaters in large cities like New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago and other major cities around the world for a specific period of time before the nationwide general release. Although variants of roadshow releases occasionally still exist, the practice mostly ended in the early 1970s.

As far as is known, virtually all of the films given roadshow releases were subsequently distributed to regular movie theatres. This was called a general release, and was akin to the modern-day wide release of a film. However, there are five important differences between a roadshow presentation of a film and today's limited releases:

• Roadshow theatrical releases almost always placed a ten to fifteen-minute intermission between the two "acts" of the film, and the first act was frequently longer than the second.
  • Films shown as roadshow releases, especially those made between 1952 and 1974, were nearly always longer than the usual motion picture, lasting anywhere from slightly more than two hours to four hours or more, counting the intermission. Examples include Ben-Hur (1959), or Cleopatra (1963). There were no short subjects accompanying the film, and rarely any movie trailers.
  • Roadshow presentations were always shown on a one or two-performance a day, reserved seat basis, and admission prices were always higher than those of regular screenings. Unlike today's limited releases, seats had to be reserved; one could not simply buy a ticket at the box office and go in to watch the film. The two-performance-a-day screenings were usually limited to Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. During the rest of the week, the films would be shown only once a day. (However, in the case of Oklahoma!, there were three showings a day of the film on weekends, rather than two.[1])
  • Souvenir programs were often available at roadshow presentations of films, much as souvenir programs are made available when one goes to see the stage version of a play or musical. These movie souvenir programs contained photos from the film, photos and biographies of its cast and principal crew, and information on how the film was made, rather like today's "extras" on DVDs.

I still have my program from Apocalypse Now! as I saw it on opening day in New York City. Incredible sound system. My brother gave me one from The Hateful Eight. Very nice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-O-S-UNCIR...BIA-lavish-1962-orig-/231212470559?rmvSB=true
"The 1962 Royal Premiere in London was virtually the last time that David Lean's director's cut was seen: 20 minutes were edited from the film's general release, and 15 more from the 1971 reissue. This abbreviated version was all that was available for public exhibition until a massive 1989 restoration, at 216 minutes that returned several of Lean's favorite scenes while removing others with which he had never been satisfied." https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lawrence_of_arabia/
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4027arab.html
"I'll tell you what a Road Show picture was like. First, if it was the first month or two of a popular engagement, you didn't just show up, you probably bought the ticket in advance. It might be a family outing, in which case you'd be asked to dress up a little, maybe not in church clothes but not in jeans and sneakers either. The big theaters had plenty of staff; they didn't just tear your ticket but showed you to an assigned seat, as with a concert. Some of the theaters were swank affairs; to use the restroom at the Warners Hollywood (now condemned as an earthquake hazard) one took an elevator to a lower floor, and crossed through a large oval carpeted sitting room. The house lights went down about 40% for the overture, which was heard as blue and purple lights played on the giant sparkly curtains. In other words, you knew you were in for something BIG."

Given how popular double dipping has become, arguably justifiable with past Blade Runner releases, I wouldn't be surprised to see an extended version get a road show re-release. Especially given the reviews I'm seeing here. If I don't like that, I guess I'm free to make my own film. lol :) But in the case of this film I'd pay twice, though I'd prefer to see both version with a bathroom break.

Saw Blade Runner 2049. A really strong movie, certainly did not disappoint. Great visuals and sounds and good performances from pretty much everyone. Was surprised to hear a few sentences in Finnish during the movie, that got a reaction from the audience :)(Finnish actor had a tiny role). It's long, so empty your bladder before going in :)

Saw Blade Runner 2049 at the BFI (in 2D IMAX) and was very pleased. This movie definitely requires attention and patience, the polar opposite of your typical block buster. I could definitely see this being a love/hate movie. Also, it was beautiful :)

Edit: It also works very well as a sequel to the first movie.

Armageddon was awesomeballs!

Any movie which begins with Bruce Willis chasing somebody around an oil rig whilst firing dozens of shotgun shells has obviously been very cleverly thought-out. Steve Buscemi is amusing in it, however.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Willis became quite irate when members of the audience in a preview screening were laughing at parts he thought were actually dramatic.

Back