RPCS3 emulator, the PS3 is seriously starting to be emulated!

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Not bad taking into account the complex design of the machine -framerate runs like Powerpoint at the moment though, Matrix style-, now people will be able to play PS3 games at decent resolutions, with your favourite controllers.

What's the framerate like on a decent PC?

I have some PS3 games I wouldn't mind playing again (like Folklore for example), but I can't bring myself to boot up my old Slim unit...

What's the framerate like on a decent PC?

I have some PS3 games I wouldn't mind playing again (like Folklore for example), but I can't bring myself to boot up my old Slim unit...
Looking at that video, I assume they have an excellent PC, framerate seemed pretty bad, though I suppose you can always dial down the resolution and it will still be superior to the ps3.
I'm surprised how good they look though, higher res does not mean high res textures cause here it looks like it is using higher res textures, unless the ps3 version was using much higher res textures than it needed to display at 720p

Even terrible textures look much clearer on a high rez display. Like DOOM's for example. Play at 320*200 and the game is basically a mess of crawly muddy pixels. Play in 1024*768 or better and it's a completely different story.

I assume it's the same basic thing at work here.

Wow, I take it that's real-time? The choppy framerate makes me think that's likely.

Sony need to hire these guys and get the emulator running in plenty of time for the PS5. Sony are going to have to respond to Microsoft's persistent library, and what better way than releasing a PS5 that can play every game of every previous PlayStation home console?

Wow, I take it that's real-time? The choppy framerate makes me think that's likely.

Sony need to hire these guys and get the emulator running in plenty of time for the PS5. Sony are going to have to respond to Microsoft's persistent library, and what better way than releasing a PS5 that can play every game of every previous PlayStation home console?
I dont understand Sony's insistence on blocking even the simplest emulator. PS1 games!

I dont understand Sony's insistence on blocking even the simplest emulator. PS1 games!
If you're playing old games you're not playing (paying for, really) new games!

...That's the sticking issue, I strongly suspect.

If you're playing old games you're not playing (paying for, really) new games!

...That's the sticking issue, I strongly suspect.
PS1 competing against PS4 games doesnt sound normal. People wouldnt have been buying PS4's if they werent interested in PS4 games

I don't think that's how the beancounters reason. This is a principles thing; there's a buck to be made by not offering BC/emulation.

I don't think that's how the beancounters reason. This is a principles thing; there's a buck to be made by not offering BC/emulation.
MS sells old gen games in their store thanks to BC. Even if Sony doesnt sell PS1 and PS2 games on Store (which arent taking away any money from PS4 games) the brand loyalty is part of the buisiness.

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

If you're playing old games you're not playing (paying for, really) new games! ...That's the sticking issue, I strongly suspect.

Not strictly the place for it, but yeah - that's console economics. In PC world when you buy a new graphics card you're as likely to replay old games at higher settings as you are to buy a new game. In console world when you buy new hardware you've traditionally been forced into buying new software. This is how console manufacturers begin to recoup R&D costs early on as hardware often isn't profitable. If console hardware/software economics become more like PC then this is not good for Sony.

"That's because many PS3 titles stored extremely high-resolution assets on the PS3's Blu-Ray discs, then crushed those textures down for faster processing by the console.", I expect in future they wont be doing that thenThat explains it then
never thought those textures looked that good, ever. In fact the praised Killzone 2 looked to me like a brown and grey mess of pixels and never got the hype and drooling over it. The difference can be seen in the video above. It's the same game but they look like totally different games when played at 4k! :oops::oops:Interesting tweet btw.

Haven't they got it wrong with pixel counting though? They say in the article that playing those games at "triple the resolution"... 4K -according to DF- is 4 1080p screens, so 4k is is like 9 720p screens

Last edited:
Back