Phone / tablet EMMC speed

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
Does EMMC slow down over time even with Trim? It seems like these things have an expiration date. lol.

I believe there's storage speed benchmarks out there. Of course, you'd need both a "before" and an "after" data point, and getting the "before" one retroactively is a bit difficult... One might use someone else's, assuming initial performance is similar/identical across same models (reasonably they should be.)

It'd be interesting to see something like a "SSD-destroyer" benchmark being run on a brand new smartphone :)

Does EMMC slow down over time even with Trim? It seems like these things have an expiration date. lol.

Yes, at least in my xperia sp internal storage. Transfer rate is down to only single digits.

Or it was always single digits from the start? Can't remember.

Anyway, on microsd, it does become slower after tons of write (I use microsd as a torrent download drive). Can't trim microsd on windows tho :(

SD cards use barrel-dredge quality flash chips. Absolutely not suited for lots of writing. I'd strongly suggest avoiding this practice before some data-related cataclysm occurs for you (all caused by your cat, no doubt!)

Upon more reflection of the state of my S4 Mini, I have a feeling the lag is caused by the usual program bloat that comes with "progress". Even mobile websites for some reason feel the need to have more and more dynamic JS and CSS fanciness. Krait just isn't cutting it in this brave new future.

I think I need a Core M, 8GB RAM, and NVMe SSD in my phone. Then I might be ahead of the curve enough for it to be a pleasant experience for a couple of years. ;)

Last edited:
SD cards use barrel-dredge quality flash chips. Absolutely not suited for lots of writing. I'd strongly suggest avoiding this practice before some data-related cataclysm occurs for you (all caused by your cat, no doubt!)

Or if you are those lucky ones with old Samsung ssd with blocks decaying... Even not using your computer already slows it down by itself.

My ssd even down to kilobytes per second before I "refresh" it

Aye. Those were unfortunate times. Hopefully well behind us now, one would think. Scratch it up to tech immaturity or something (even though SSDs were already quite advanced by then...) Or maybe just a big faceless multinational corp cutting the corners a bit too much during product testing and verification. *shrug*

btw trimming microSD card was not always a good thing. I remember years ago, trimming microsd card = data lost. There's also a few Samsung and xiaomi phone with borked trim support that will destroy data if the internal storage got trimmed.

nowadays it seems all manufacturers already properly implement trimming for internal storage, but still spotty in external microsd trimming. But more and more phones removes microsd slot so I guess this problem is not longer a poblem

Aye. Those were unfortunate times. Hopefully well behind us now, one would think. Scratch it up to tech immaturity or something (even though SSDs were already quite advanced by then...) Or maybe just a big faceless multinational corp cutting the corners a bit too much during product testing and verification. *shrug*

no need to think of conspiracy theory. the answer is already clear:

because I bought it.

if I didn't buy that SSD, that problem wont exist.

as we already know, the only tech problem that exist in this universe are only those observed by me.

My LG G pro just died 3 days ago. I've told the story before when it won't recognize fat partition. Then it developed a horizontal 1 pixel stripe on the top of the display, then it became 2 stripes. That phone after running for a day became very slow and sometimes restarted by itself. This week suddenly a couple of apps can't be opened. I suspect part of the internal storage might be decaying. Then it restarted by itself, only this time it keep restarting forever. Already do a hard reset (which made the startup sound much louder), still stuck in a loop. RIP

I think that phone works harder than my desktop. Almost never rest, probably have tons more stuff running in the background all trying to suck its resources.

Now I'm using a half broken zenfone 2 top model (4gb ram). It's a nice phone with I believe a bad memory management since I need to flush the RAM manually every now and then. Half broken because sometimes it shutdown by itself, external speaker being cut off, the cover sensor activate by itself, etc. This is only a backup phone now and I'll probably welcome the future soon without 3.5mm jack, without msd, with usb-c.

I've had a HTC diamond, legend, Sensation , one m7 and now a OnePlus3 but never had any real problems. The sensation did eventually drain it's battery very quick after I gave it to my mum. A new battery didn't seem to help. Same for my M7. After three years the battery drained very quickly when running heavy apps. Now it still lasts about a week or so just laying on my desk. Never use it but still leave it on because I didn't switch provider yet even though I bought a OnePlus3 over a year ago.

Anyway I don't think memory life really is an issue for anyone that has a remotely normal use case.

Now I'm using a half broken zenfone 2 top model (4gb ram). It's a nice phone with I believe a bad memory management since I need to flush the RAM manually every now and then. Half broken because sometimes it shutdown by itself, external speaker being cut off, the cover sensor activate by itself, etc. This is only a backup phone now and I'll probably welcome the future soon without 3.5mm jack, without msd, with usb-c.

If lineageos available for your device, it should fix that

If lineageos available for your device, it should fix that
Nope, I believe it is a hardware fault. It has overheated once, immediately shutdown (not like a normal turn off, more like the battery being unplugged). After that, a lot of things became problematic.
Also another problem is sometimes it won't charge. I've plugged it to the charger before going to bed and in the morning the battery almost empty. Something is clearly broken and it isn't software.
Of course if you're talking about fixing the memory management, personally I don't mind the current situation. It is just a backup phone and I don't really want to spend time installing another rom on a half broken phone.
If the ROM can fix those hardware-like problems, then I'll be willing to try it.... :D

Nope, I believe it is a hardware fault. It has overheated once, immediately shutdown (not like a normal turn off, more like the battery being unplugged). After that, a lot of things became problematic.
Also another problem is sometimes it won't charge. I've plugged it to the charger before going to bed and in the morning the battery almost empty. Something is clearly broken and it isn't software.
Of course if you're talking about fixing the memory management, personally I don't mind the current situation. It is just a backup phone and I don't really want to spend time installing another rom on a half broken phone.
If the ROM can fix those hardware-like problems, then I'll be willing to try it.... :D

Rooted lineageos should be able to reduce those problems.

* better memory management
* just disable the broken sensors
* over voltage the cpu a bit
* force enable / disable charging using my app disable charging, on playstore (maybe it can rekindle the charging subsystem)

But because it's an Asus, the effort to install custom rom will be too much hassle, I think.

If it was xiaomi, it will be real easy and quick.

Back