Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are rumors of a new version of HDR10 which would also have object metadata like DV.

But maybe it has to do with what Dolby charges for licensing DV, not just to the device makers but the studios which encode their content.

I still think it's a little funny that the model that is basically the most stripped, basically only having the bare panel costs the most... Maybe people can tune their B7s to W7 by stripping out everything :) Alternatively the sound bar is quite expensive...

Cool TV though and looks nice.

I think the cost of bandwidth and the additional cost of serving higher bitrate video not leading to greater revenue is the dominant factor limiting the bitrates being served by streaming services. Unless people show a much greater tendency towards paying more for a better quality experience than "good enough" I don't see the streaming service providers looking to push bitrates any higher than they absolutely have to.

Do like netflix, have a higher cost tier that has higher quality.

The latest Consumer Reports has a section on HDR TVs. I don't know all the model numbers, but the only thing that stuck out was a single LG that had a good score and the lowest price (65"). I'll add the model when I get home.

Gather around kids. It's time to learn about Dolby Vision vs HDR 10:

Real info around the 10min mark.
The claim it contains 12bit data on DV I'm skeptical. Mainly because of DV documentation, HEVC docs, etc.

Anyway for the CG sample, maybe fix those minimum posterizations with a full range 10bit, static metadata signaling.

Certainly there no need to up 4X coding "cost" for now in which no true 12 bit panels exist in consumer level.

Of course, Dolby PQ2084 is not 12bit or full range. They allow for a new future " format" by making the current one, less ideal...
DV own experiments on Barten Quantization curves show (my analysis of their graphs ) the pecformance of 12bit DV narrow range can be matched by a 10bit full range signal. Then the slope of the curve is open to tone mapping styles and preferences.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The latest Consumer Reports has a section on HDR TVs. I don't know all the model numbers, but the only thing that stuck out was a single LG that had a good score and the lowest price (65"). I'll add the model when I get home.
Still interested in that model, maybe it will fit my budget next year. I'm considering subscribing to Consumer Reports when I finally decide to take the plunge probably late next year.

Tommy McClain

Still interested in that model, maybe it will fit my budget next year. I'm considering subscribing to Consumer Reports when I finally decide to take the plunge probably late next year.

Tommy McClain

If they're recommending a non-OLED LG TV, I wouldn't trust Consumer Reports' evaluation methods. IPS panels are the drizzling shits as HDR TV panels because of poor contrast performance and they use a funky RGBW subpixel arrangement that leads to loss of detail. Just use rtings.com and then look for corroboration elsewhere if you need it.

If they're recommending a non-OLED LG TV, I wouldn't trust Consumer Reports' evaluation methods. IPS panels are the drizzling shits as HDR TV panels because of poor contrast performance and they use a funky RGBW subpixel arrangement that leads to loss of detail. Just use rtings.com and then look for corroboration elsewhere if you need it.
At my budget I understand I won't get the absolute best TV, but as a friend always told me: "perfect is the enemy of good enough".

Currently I have 55" 1080p LG TV & it's been great. Sure it's a plebian's TV, but it works great for me. If LG has a decent 65+" 4K HDR TV at a price I can afford next year, then I'm sure it will be great for me. I might check rtings.com but Consumer Reports has been around far longer & I think they will at least help with manufacturer quality. So I can make sure I don't get something that breaks in a year's time.

Tommy McClain

At my budget I understand I won't get the absolute best TV, but as a friend always told me: "perfect is the enemy of good enough".

Currently I have 55" 1080p LG TV & it's been great. Sure it's a plebian's TV, but it works great for me. If LG has a decent 65+" 4K HDR TV at a price I can afford next year, then I'm sure it will be great for me. I might check rtings.com but Consumer Reports has been around far longer & I think they will at least help with manufacturer quality. So I can make sure I don't get something that breaks in a year's time.

Tommy McClain

It's not a pricing issue. LG LCDs objectively suck at HDR compared to much cheaper TVs.

You won't be well served relying on past experiences to inform current purchasing decisions in this area. TV tech changes so much now from year to year that it's common for a brand that had a killer lineup one year to fall flat on it's face the next.

So maybe LG radically changes their product line next year and they become competitive, but this year's models are all bad choices at all the price points they are being sold at.

Last edited:

Can vouch for this. My 49 inch use RGBW and I can see it looks like diagonal mesh in static scenes.

Invisible in moving scenes tho

Last edited:
You’d be missing a whole lot from the lack of HDR though. I’d just wait until HDR monitors get better and more mainstream.
It could be a while though...

Also just read that AMD standards for HDR are much lower than Nvidia's...apparently Freesync 2 only mandates 400nits whereas G-Sysnc HDR mandates 1000nits...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back