Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got fiber but that doesn't fix shitty, compressed streaming services. I'm looking at you HBO Nordic, what a travesty. Basically forced to pirate the newest episodes of GoT to get any decent quality.

It doesn't matter if you have the best TV because garbage in will always be garbage out.

I got fiber but that doesn't fix shitty, compressed streaming services. I'm looking at you HBO Nordic, what a travesty.
Yeah, HBO Nordic really is utter fucking garbage as far as image quality is concerned, dark scenes especially simply look ass beyond belief. And I have 200mbit/s cable with a good (but expensive, urgh) provider so it's not windowdressing bandwidth figures either, so the pipe is wide enough for anything really.

No idea what bitrate HBO have encoded to, but it's obviously way too low for fullHD video.

Yeah, HBO Nordic really is utter fucking garbage as far as image quality is concerned, dark scenes especially simply look ass beyond belief. And I have 200mbit/s cable with a good (but expensive, urgh) provider so it's not windowdressing bandwidth figures either, so the pipe is wide enough for anything really.

No idea what bitrate HBO have encoded to, but it's obviously way too low for fullHD video.

It looks like 480p ...

I'm looking forward to 100Mbit 4K streaming. Can't happen in the US with their meager "unlimited data" bullshit ISPs. They are really holding back countries with better infrastructure in place than the Americas.

With relation to the topic at hand I can see that the new LG OLED 2017 models could be had for $1,600 for the 55" and the 65" for $2,600 on massdrop yesterday.

It looks like 480p ...

I'm looking forward to 100Mbit 4K streaming. Can't happen in the US with their meager "unlimited data" bullshit ISPs. They are really holding back countries with better infrastructure in place than the Americas.

With relation to the topic at hand I can see that the new LG OLED 2017 models could be had for $1,600 for the 55" and the 65" for $2,600 on massdrop yesterday.

How?

It looks like 480p ...

Lol. The cost of building networks is enormous.

I got fiber but that doesn't fix shitty, compressed streaming services. I'm looking at you HBO Nordic, what a travesty. Basically forced to pirate the newest episodes of GoT to get any decent quality.

It doesn't matter if you have the best TV because garbage in will always be garbage out.

I watched the season 6 on the Chrome browser and the quality was very bad, Season 7 on my Samsung TV HBO Nordic App was a lot better. Maybe they have upped the bitrate since last year season, but it was clearly a lot better. There is still compression issues, especially in the darker scenes like Grall mentioned, but daytime scenes look fairly good, 720p footage or something like that.

The lowest common denominator.

And that's as far as you've thought that through? No other major factors are preventing streaming services from offering higher-bandwidth streams? The state of US broadband is just holding everybody down?

I watched the season 6 on the Chrome browser and the quality was very bad, Season 7 on my Samsung TV HBO Nordic App was a lot better. Maybe they have upped the bitrate since last year season, but it was clearly a lot better. There is still compression issues, especially in the darker scenes like Grall mentioned, but daytime scenes look fairly good, 720p footage or something like that.

Chrome IE and Firefox are all limited to 720p streaming for Netflix. Try Edge or Safari if you're on Mac, or use the hbo app on a streaming device.

Chrome IE and Firefox are all limited to 720p streaming for Netflix. Try Edge or Safari if you're on Mac, or use the hbo app on a streaming device.

Now I only use my TV for streaming. I spent crazy amount of time just watching youtube videos on it... Large amount of 4k material there that I like to watch anyway.

Maybe I should try this Netflix thing you mentioned :) (never had it subbed.)

Now I only use my TV for streaming. I spent crazy amount of time just watching youtube videos on it... Large amount of 4k material there that I like to watch anyway.

Seems like they have the most 4k HDR content right now, consisting of their original TV shows, some of which are quite good. I don't know what their movie catalog is like or how much of it they've converted to 4K or HDR or both.

Lol. The cost of building networks is enormous.

Supposedly the US carriers are all big on 5G for fixed wireless as well as mobile. Who knows what kind of speeds they will actually deliver. AT&T is apparently going to deliver their TV channels in the future by IP, not satellite. They won't take the DirecTV satellites down but they won't expand capacity that way.

So who knows, maybe they will deliver high enough speeds for high-quality streaming over 5G to homes?

Yes it will be expensive but they're going to put it up for mobile anyways and maybe it wouldn't be as bad as putting up more satellites or running fiber to more homes. Their AT&T Giga Power product probably cherry-picks zip codes and goes for multi-residential -- apartment buildings instead of single homes. They're not rolling that aggressively at all, probably stalled on new deployments like Verizon Fios.

What I meant was, HBO may be limited to 720p streaming in Chrome. Worth trying another browser.

HBO Go has good picture quality and Dolby Digital Plus compared to Comcast which doesn't deliver as good a picture and only DD. That's using either Apple TV 4 or streaming from my iPad to either Apple TV or a Chromecast 2, which are both hooked up to my AVR and big screen.

For Game of Thrones, I was watching on HBO Go, which does a better job with picture, especially the dark scenes which are often crushed in the Comcast feed.

And that's as far as you've thought that through? No other major factors are preventing streaming services from offering higher-bandwidth streams? The state of US broadband is just holding everybody down?

Obviously cost also but that is associated with bandwidth. Storage is the easiest part.

Obviously cost also but that is associated with bandwidth. Storage is the easiest part.

I think the cost of bandwidth and the additional cost of serving higher bitrate video not leading to greater revenue is the dominant factor limiting the bitrates being served by streaming services. Unless people show a much greater tendency towards paying more for a better quality experience than "good enough" I don't see the streaming service providers looking to push bitrates any higher than they absolutely have to.

Gather around kids. It's time to learn about Dolby Vision vs HDR 10:

Real info around the 10min mark.

welp...I could tell a difference just from watching the youtube video...

So is Dolby Vision going to become the standard for content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back