Best value GPU that games at 1920x1080 right now?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I'm sort of giving up on AMD for a while, they're some serious shit going sideways there that I'm not pleased about. I've been out of the nVidia side of things for a while, any decent options out there for gaming at 1920x1080 without paying so much that my wife cuts my balls off?

Find a used AMD r9 290? Took a quick look at eBay and it looks like you can get them for under a 100 dollars. For that kind of money you'll be playing most games at high to ultra settings with 60fps.

I've got one and it is fine for games such as Witcher 3, gta5, the first of the reboot tomb raider games etc. On the latest games you'll probably need to lower the settings a bit if you want 60fps.

Otherwise it's the gtx 1060 that is aiming at the 1080p crowd I think? Haven't really been keeping up recently.

Find a used AMD r9 290? Took a quick look at eBay and it looks like you can get them for under a 100 dollars. For that kind of money you'll be playing most games at high to ultra settings with 60fps.
Or pick up a good modern 2D card for my wife and steal back my 390 without telling her, I forgot about that option!!! :D

I know, I'll put a bug in her PC that'll cause graphic crashes and I'll graciously offer to get her a much newer/stable card for cheap and I'll "make do" with hers..... :D

I could kiss you two! I forgot about that sneaky option. I was going to do that last time I was thinking I had a shot at upgrading. :D

Considering that 390 is infinitely less expensive than every other GPU out there (division by zero), I think you have your answer :)
Although I have 2x GTX 680s with waterblocks if you're interested ;-P

Does this mean you'll be giving away your Radeon Pro Duo?
;)
Died not many moons after I got it. It was an old reviewers sample that had been used/reviewed/abused by at least 3-4 sites before I got it, so it had been torn down/overclock tortured/etc and lived a tragically short time with me. :(

The 295x2 is still going strong in my son's unit, it's just the Duo had a short but VERY hard life before I got it and it didn't shock me when it died tbh. I'd been using the 390 since then until I upgraded my wife's PC and that's when she got it and I got stuck with the Palit 9800.

Died not many moons after I got it. It was an old reviewers sample that had been used/reviewed/abused by at least 3-4 sites before I got it, so it had been torn down/overclock tortured/etc and lived a tragically short time with me. :(

The 295x2 is still going strong in my son's unit, it's just the Duo had a short but VERY hard life before I got it and it didn't shock me when it died tbh. I'd been using the 390 since then until I upgraded my wife's PC and that's when she got it and I got stuck with the Palit 9800.
Why don't you just switch the 9800 with 390?

Died not many moons after I got it. It was an old reviewers sample that had been used/reviewed/abused by at least 3-4 sites before I got it, so it had been torn down/overclock tortured/etc and lived a tragically short time with me.
Wow that's such a shame.
I wonder who the hell thought it was a good idea to abuse a 350W graphics card that used to cost $1500 not long ago. It must have been really mistreated because as a member of the Pro line it should be over-engineered.
That thing would still be terrific for titles that support AFR of DX12 mGPU.

Where does a GTX 680 (4GB) stand compared to these other cards?
GTX680 was a competitor to Tahiti. The R9 390 is probably >30% faster in older titles and some 60-70% faster in newer titles.

It could be moot, got an e-mail from AMD a few days ago saying their still planning on sending me one they just don't know when.

No supply problems to see here folks, move along....

Compared to a 9800?!?!

Granted I was running two in SLI and mainly playing Civ V/VI
Oh lol I completely missed the context. Not sure if it's the red or green 9800 you're referring to since I still haven't read the thread but the 680 is definitely way better than both of them :)

Back