AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

Slightly off topic, but GF also said they're working with Tesla using AMD IP.
Had to read that a few times before it sank in this was not a reference to old NV GPU architecture :oops:

Has anyone seen any info on how Ryzen/Threadripper/Epyc sales/supply are going &/or impact on AMD profitability?

GF is working with Tesla but there is nothing to confirm that AMD is involved. Would it make sense for Tesla to use GF is AMD isn't the one they licenses IPs from?

Edit, now CNBC is claiming that GF isn't working with Tesla...

What GloFo actually said was
"As we develop these new technologies, we are also seeing a big shift in the business model and the foundry business. What is happening is that system companies like Google, like Amazon, like Tesla, like Microsoft, are coming directly to foundries. They are working directly with IP companies and system development companies because they want to control the hardware and software."

And AMD has said that
"The design wins you talked about is coming in 2018. That is a non-game console product and that revenue should be happening in the 2018 timeframe to continue to help the revenue on the semi-custom which sits within the EESC segment."

The 2 could be related or then not

eE9LJuJ.jpg

"Production start 1Q18".
http://hexus.net/tech/news/industry/110324-amd-will-transition-ryzen-vega-glofo-12nm-lp-next-year/

Last edited:
10% increase in performance is pretty good. If the average Ryzen CPU hits 4.2 GHz across all cores instead of 3.8 that'd be a nice boost. They really need to fix the issues with the memory though, you can't expect everyone to just buy Samsung B-die, especially right now with the crazy ram prices.
The stepping used for Threadripper already runs at 4.2 Ghz with 4 core XFR. 4.5 Ghz overclocks on 12LP might be possible.
Would be interesting to see how many improvements AMD made to this zen+ CPU since they already said that all zen CPUs will be Tocks and not Ticks but we can agreed that improve the memory sub system and IF and a Clocks boost to 4.3 turbo would be enough to justify.
I wouldn't expect any architectural changes, AMD's roadmaps had Ryzen scheduled for 14nm and "14nm+" processes and the later ended up being called 12LP.

I've assembled my ryzen system
Cooooooool!

It doesn't startup
the fan rotate, the leds lightup, but there's no output on the monitor

I'm using a cheap power supply with only the 4 pin cpu connector, please tell me that is for sure this the problem

Try a single memory module, and move it between all possible slots. If nogo, swap it with the other memory module, and repeat the procedure

The motherboard could indeed decide not to continue booting whitout both 4 pin connectors, but this is irregular IMO.

You bought a Ryzen system with a motherboard that has an 8-pin connector for the CPU power, and knowing this you're still using a weak PSU with a 4-pin only. Surely you answered your own question.

It's my workplace system, I've asked for some component and then someone else choosed the specific components, now I must report with certainty on what's the problem before any other step and in alternative to a lot of problems for me

It's my workplace system, I've asked for some component and then someone else choosed the specific components, now I must report with certainty on what's the problem before any other step and in alternative to a lot of problems for me
Without a PSU with 8-pin CPU connector, how can you report with certainty?

Make sure a single DIMM is in slot 2, not slot 1. RAM configuration for Ryzen is slot 2+4 for the first 2 DIMMS. And make sure you give it a minute. Very early boards/BIOS took awhile to POST on first boot.

I've tried both single dimm and waiting
On monday I will try a better psu :/
If switching DIMMs (and reseting BIOS obivously) doesn't help it pretty much has to be the PSU or defective motherboard. Ryzen can be picky about RAM but with 1 stick pretty much anything should work

So we gonna have a Tick ryzen and AMD "lied"(changed plans) I hope for double digit gains in performance so it would stays competitive against CL.

Back