AMD Ryzen Threadripper Reviews

A big problem, as sebbbi already explained, is the lack of mainstream software that really makes use of all those cores - and yet AMD and Intel continue to push those platforms for the "enthusiast" segment. Defying all the marketing about creative professionals, you can clearly see it in the obligatory "bling bling" the X299 and X399 motherboards come with. You barely can get a board for the workstation marked, trimmed for efficiency.

That said, consumer software for real world application really is challenged with 16 Cores. Take 7-Zip for example. The integrated benchmark lets me choose up to twice the amount of (virtual) threads my system is capable of - in my personal rig, that would be 16 threads total I can choose having a SMT-enabled Quadcore. Now, with a TR1950X, I can go to 64 threads in benchmark mode. Very nice! But for real world packing, my limit is 32. Not twice the amount I was expecting or led to believe there is with the benchmark mode. Especially sad, because for normal operation, ultra-compression with LZMA2 mostly runs faster if you oversubscribe threads - I've found 1,5× virtual threads to be a good measure. With 7-Zip, that get's me 85% CPU-load on a TR 1920X. Now why use 7-Zip? Winrar 5.50 (august `17) for example gives me a larger archive as well as only 30-60% CPU load. :( NUMA-mode here is actually one example I found to be counter-productive with significantly longer compression time.

Another example why Threadripper is a daring move and maybe too much ahead of it's time in the consumer space is RAW image conversion. Now Lightroom 5 - which is the last non-clouded version many professionals still are using because they don't want the cloud - scales not very good with more than 8 cores. Capture One Pro 10 however uses even 32 threads on a TR1950X - but, insert sadface, it also has OpenCL acceleration available, which speeds up RAW conversion batches by a large amount, depending on your GPU of course.

So, for normal operation, 8 cores is more than enough already and for jobs than can effectively be parallelized, even 16 CPU cores are usually inferior to using the GPU via Open CL in the first place. That puts the use cases for home applications into a very tight spot IMHO - the same is/will be true of course for Intels i9-lineup.

You are discounting the people who hobbycraft (bench, OC, fold, mine, etc) on their PC(s), that also like to high end game. Which is nearly all the peeps I know. When building a new rig, they $pend on their GPU(s), because they also game on their systems.

Logic dictates, if you can game on an Ryzen 1800x, then you can game on a ThreadRipper 1900x..!

I think that's the moar coars crowd trying to figure out ways to use their super cool PCs. ;)

Last edited:
You are discounting the people who hobbycraft (bench, OC, fold, mine, etc) on their PC(s), that also like to high end game. Which is nearly all the peeps I know. When building a new rig, they $pend on their GPU(s), because they also game on their systems.
Actually, I do not: „That puts the use cases for home applications into a very tight spot IMHO - the same is/will be true of course for Intels i9-lineup.“ But thanks for highlighting and reinforcing that niche once again.

Logic dictates, if you can game on an Ryzen 1800x, then you can game on a ThreadRipper 1900x..!
Oh, yes of course you can. I never said that that's not possible. You can even game very comfortably most of the time. But most of the games I know of do not utilize the abundance of cores and select few even have problems with more than 20 threads, as AMD also tells in the reviewer's guide (though there are more that have problems with more than 31 threads).

Luckily, AMD has included the option in the Ryzen Master Tool to disable half the cores in gaming mode, so just a reboot later, you're set - hoping that you don't have a lengthy rendering job in the background or an 8K video encode running, where you want to bridge the wait with a game session. Also: Why disable eight/six cores entirely instead of just disabling SMT, which would leave you with 16/12 full cores instead of 8/6+SMT which by definition is slower.

Actually, I do not: „That puts the use cases for home applications into a very tight spot IMHO - the same is/will be true of course for Intels i9-lineup.“ But thanks for highlighting and reinforcing that niche once again.

Oh, yes of course you can. I never said that that's not possible. You can even game very comfortably most of the time. But most of the games I know of do not utilize the abundance of cores and select few even have problems with more than 20 threads, as AMD also tells in the reviewer's guide (though there are more that have problems with more than 31 threads).

Luckily, AMD has included the option in the Ryzen Master Tool to disable half the cores in gaming mode, so just a reboot later, you're set - hoping that you don't have a lengthy rendering job in the background or an 8K video encode running, where you want to bridge the wait with a game session. Also: Why disable eight/six cores entirely instead of just disabling SMT, which would leave you with 16/12 full cores instead of 8/6+SMT which by definition is slower.

As an end-user, those^ do not sound like bad options to have.

Our differences (case scenarios), are probably due to region & age, etc. But for the "friends" I represent, we $pend upfront on backbone & components of our PC builds... knowing that a full upgrade in 24 months will be easy. But I don't know many people who build a rigs and are computer enthusiast's... and don't do multiple things, or have multiple hobbies.

And that that somehow, it is niche to want/need a HEDT to go with their high-end GPU. That is a reasonable position many people are in.

I am in no immediate hurry (We are gearing up for BF2143/ARMA 4, etc), but I wouldn't mind being done with my new build. Problem my clan & co workers/friends are having is universal, is that you can't fill up your basket at Newegg, everything is out..!

So, it is a piecemeal process. We all are investing into a long-system-build-mentality, and many of us don't jetski, or 4-wheel anymore, so dumping an extra $2k into a rig, is not a thing. It is about the whole System.

To me (& many others) AMD's TR4 is a promising (forward-looking) platform for 2018 HEDT Gamers. Don't think I represent a niche at all. Matter of fact, many here had Amigas & DX50s & dot matrix printers. And also have retirement portfolios and grandchildren, etc. I represent what I call the "oldschool" and we still play DOOM (& now Age of Empires... *f''yeah*), and have the leisure to build & spec out a system for our needs/wants and simply don't like to rip into our rigs, or even modify them once the PC System(s) are built, anymore.

But in 24 months, you have the option to upgrade to the latest DDR 5000Mhz, Zen 2+, RX Vega x4, 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe , etc. There are more "career gamers" in America than you think. Don't under estimate ThreadRipper for gaming.

I trust a "pencil trick" or "rear window defogger paint trick" is coming to reactivate those cores. ;)

Back