Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they release them in batches, as they have to manufacture in skids. Not sure how logistics work out. But they will probably limit their pre-orders in full batches so I reckon they would rather lose a few SE edition preorders than order a new skid.

At the moment demand is too strong. But they will switch to standard edition soon as we get closer to the launch date.

Not sure I understand.

Clearly, MS placed an order for X number of Scorpio units and then designated them according to some formula to the resellers. I don't see how MS would extend their manufacturing for those units to allow for more preorders because that would mean less launch day units would be available. They'd also want to make sure they had a certain buffer to allow for problems in the process switch, correct? I can't imagine that there's any "open ended" manufacturing period for the preorder units based upon demand, that's extremely poor planning and management and I'd think that would impact the supply chain negatively at every turn.

How can it be more complicated than "We can produce X number of units in Y amount of time" and "Y" is the amount of time we have until we need to switch over to manufacturing the launch units?

Do you think they didn't think pre-orders would be as "strong" as you put it, so they put in a manufacturing order for X-# in order to hit a target and that # takes less time than Y so there's a period of time when manufacturing is sitting idle between building the pre-order allotment and starting on the launch consoles?

The items that can be changed is the special labeling and perhaps the special box packaging (includes the stand) between the Scorpio Edition and the Plebeian Editions. All the rest of the parts are the same between the two and would be ordered regardless.

I think they could easily squeeze in an extra 500K Scorpio Editions between now and November 1st timeframe if the wanted to.

The items that can be changed is the special labeling and perhaps the special box packaging (includes the stand) between the Scorpio Edition and the Plebian Editions. All the rest of the parts are the same between the two and would be ordered regardless.

I think they could easily squeeze in an extra 500K Scorpio Editions between now and November 1st timeframe if the wanted to.
also the paint job on the case is different

I had not realized the paint job was different too. I thought maybe it was just an extra minor step of labelling. But that means the last finishing step would be different, so making SE vs PE would be a bit more of a hassle with the different path taking place earlier in the process.

Still, it would be possible to squeeze in a few more, but they'd likely want more production lines switched to PE sooner for launch than having one trickling in SE.

I had not realized the paint job was different too. I thought maybe it was just an extra minor step of labelling. But that means the last finishing step would be different, so making SE vs PE would be a bit more of a hassle with the different path taking place earlier in the process.

Still, it would be possible to squeeze in a few more, but they'd likely want more production lines switched to PE sooner for launch than having one trickling in SE.

I believe the words hand screen printed were used by Lamarr whoever he is in his unboxing video, he had a rep out of camera so that must be accurate.

Not sure I understand.

Clearly, MS placed an order for X number of Scorpio units and then designated them according to some formula to the resellers. I don't see how MS would extend their manufacturing for those units to allow for more preorders because that would mean less launch day units would be available. They'd also want to make sure they had a certain buffer to allow for problems in the process switch, correct? I can't imagine that there's any "open ended" manufacturing period for the preorder units based upon demand, that's extremely poor planning and management and I'd think that would impact the supply chain negatively at every turn.

How can it be more complicated than "We can produce X number of units in Y amount of time" and "Y" is the amount of time we have until we need to switch over to manufacturing the launch units?

Do you think they didn't think pre-orders would be as "strong" as you put it, so they put in a manufacturing order for X-# in order to hit a target and that # takes less time than Y so there's a period of time when manufacturing is sitting idle between building the pre-order allotment and starting on the launch consoles?
I reckon it's doable because components are the hardest part of it, Packaging and boxing are the easiest parts of it. Since they share the same internals the switch from standard to Scorpio edition is only a boxing problem.

Then again I could be wrong.

It's entirely possible that
A) they don't care if there are any units available for launch day for retail purchase.
B) they still care about having Scorpio units as being only pre-order only so this batching process is necessary
C) I think the velocity of how fast each batch is sold will determine if they open another batch. If it slows down they will not continue.
D) any batches after the first are not guaranteed to arrive on Nov.7.

I'll believe that mouse support is coming when the devs announce it. Pretty easy to fake a vid like that, I'd think. I don't know what the minecraft interfaces look like on the various platforms, but I'd expect that's running on a different device.

I'll believe that mouse support is coming when the devs announce it.
If they're going to have crossplay between xbone and PC users they would basically have to add M/K support, or all console users would be totally boned.

...See what I did there, huh? :p

Killing Floor 2 case showing Xbox One X Enhanced labels...

x1ucr7ko0yiz.jpg

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back