All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For PS4 users, they went from the most powerful console to an even more powerful console. The appeal wasn't there as much.
For XBO users, they are going from weakest to strongest, I imagine there is more emotional attachment.

Also a much greater upgrade and seemingly a better overall handling of the enhancement info - my main pet peeve of the Pro, where there is not a lot of info from Sony about what each game is getting as an upgrade. Crazy state of affairs.

The performance delta between a XB1 and XB1X is massive so the appeal will be greater. I expect the X1X will sell a lot this holiday season. How it fares Feb onwards will be the key.
Yes 1X will be front loaded for the first few/couple of months.

The question is will it kick start the Xbox brand as a whole.

The pre orders seems to have done very well.
1H 2018 should have a few exclusives, so if the brand starts rolling from the current stall, then it may be able to have reasonable momentum.

It will take MS to push 1S & 1X though, otherwise could end up stalling again like 1S did.

Also a much greater upgrade and seemingly a better overall handling of the enhancement info - my main pet peeve of the Pro, where there is not a lot of info from Sony about what each game is getting as an upgrade. Crazy state of affairs.
I imagine they are trying to address this. When they launched 4Pro they probably didn't think this one through entirely. It might be ideal to just lock step with MS.
HDR, True 4K, 4Pro Enhanced labeling on the packages. Enhanced being anything more than the standard PS4 edition

The performance delta between a XB1 and XB1X is massive so the appeal will be greater. I expect the X1X will sell a lot this holiday season. How it fares Feb onwards will be the key.
The cost is greater than PS4Pro though, so it may balance out somewhat. Although I expect it to sell significantly as well.

Yes 1X will be front loaded for the first few/couple of months.

The question is will it kick start the Xbox brand as a whole.

The pre orders seems to have done very well.
1H 2018 should have a few exclusives, so if the brand starts rolling from the current stall, then it may be able to have reasonable momentum.

It will take MS to push 1S & 1X though, otherwise could end up stalling again like 1S did.
It's up to MS to reboot the franchise, the 1X gives them the opportunity, MS still needs to do a lot more to follow through.
a) all it's major first party games should be HDR, 4K, Enhanced and really trying to be that graphical powerhouse it could not be on XBO. Since they are getting another go at it, they can really do their best to amp things way up without reservation. There are a lot of older titles that could use some more play by the player bases imo, perhaps a fresh coat of paint will entice more users.

b) really push for those 3rd parties to HDR, 4K, Enhanced editions of their games, they've done their best in this regard I think, making the SDK as easy as possible to port to.

c) amp up that game pass or something of the sort. Get people to play all those amped up games.

d) get back into the library game, no one wants an empty 1H 2018, but we're seeing a lot of that right now.

imo, if MS doesn't want to play the AAA 1P game, then all their AAA games and hardware must always be best in class in terms of graphics.
Their indie scene looks pretty good to me right now.

For the sales it is always the same thing the first three month are not very important. All consoles will sell well during launch period, the more difficult come after... 3 millions people bought an underpowered Xbox One fall 2013 and with a PR problem(DRM...). The hardcore Xbox audience will upgrade after it will be more difficult...

Last edited:
For the sales in Micromania(Gamestop) in France it is bad like I said my friend working in retail. They don't have many console for preorders(5000) and they did not sold all the preorder the first day. Wednesday nearly 1200 preorders were remaining. The Xbox One S sales are bad and now the console sold less than the supply constrained Switch and the PS4/PS4 Pro...

Another things the Xbox One X will be very successful in US and in UK but it will not move the needle elsewhere...

Last edited:
You, our biggest fans, have pre-ordered more Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition consoles in the first five days than any Xbox ever.

@iroboto That should give you some help with the numbers, shouldn't it? Aren't the pre-order numbers for 360, XB1, XB1S, etc... available somewhere?

Well, 360 pre-orders couldn't have been much considering they only had a million units world-wide at launch.

Day 1 editions of Xbox One were still available for some time too, I think?

@iroboto That should give you some help with the numbers, shouldn't it? Aren't the pre-order numbers for 360, XB1, XB1S, etc... available somewhere?
its tough. Its the first 5 days of pre-order (sold the fastest) vs, the whole pre-order period (the numbers that are available to us)
I don't even think MS has numbers yet either, they're just going off what their channels are reporting. It would be impressive if they have stern numbers from everyone in 5 days. I know very few companies that can pull this off internally, let alone relying on external parties.

Well, 360 pre-orders couldn't have been much considering they only had a million units world-wide at launch.

Day 1 editions of Xbox One were still available for some time too, I think?
Xbox One had 1 million as well for pre-orders before launch IIRC. Not sure how many they sold in the first 5 days though. I think someone can make the argument that most of these pre-order things are front loaded.

But I could find examples like Nintendo consoles, that are consistently sold out and out of stock for lengthier periods of time.

I mean is it just me or are those sales numbers pretty good considering everybody including MS was pegging this as a very niche console...so it's at least in this limited metric outsold all their "regular" consoles? And at 499???

I wonder if this will cause major reevaluation within MS? That this is actually gonna be mainstream? Well, they are stuck with the price for a while.

Imagine if they had come in at 399 like i thought...you wouldn't be able to get one anywhere!

I mean is it just me or are those sales numbers pretty good considering everybody including MS was pegging this as a very niche console...so it's at least in this limited metric outsold all their "regular" consoles? And at 499???

I wonder if this will cause major reevaluation within MS? That this is actually gonna be mainstream? Well, they are stuck with the price for a while.

Imagine if they had come in at 399 like i thought...you wouldn't be able to get one anywhere!
They are good numbers. I don't think MS needs to major re-evaluate. They followed their data and did the marketing, put in the right features, and both said and delivered on the right things. Everything has run smoothly for them since their announcement in 2016.

The follow up to after launch will be their critical focus from this point forward. How to ride this momentum and keep it up.

What sales numbers?

Xbox One had 1 million as well for pre-orders before launch IIRC. Not sure how many they sold in the first 5 days though. I think someone can make the argument that most of these pre-order things are front loaded.

But I could find examples like Nintendo consoles, that are consistently sold out and out of stock for lengthier periods of time.

I'm not sure where you're pulling the "5 days" in from, or any time period at all? Wasn't the statement from MS that the pre-orders are done, and there have been more pre-orders for the Scorpio than for any other MS console? I don't see where time frame comes into it. If it took the XB1 or the 360 a month or 3 days to sell less, it doesn't matter does it?

I mean is it just me or are those sales numbers pretty good considering everybody including MS was pegging this as a very niche console...
It's still a niche console. It's just reached that niche quickly. It's not going to displace XB1 as the mainstream console and is only ever going to be a small percentage of this-gen's total console install base. PS4Pro is something like 20% of sales? That's niche.

I'm not sure where you're pulling the "5 days" in from, or any time period at all? Wasn't the statement from MS that the pre-orders are done, and there have been more pre-orders for the Scorpio than for any other MS console? I don't see where time frame comes into it. If it took the XB1 or the 360 a month or 3 days to sell less, it doesn't matter does it?
Looks at Sunday & then looks at Thursday. Counts on fingers... Yeah that's 5. ;)

Tommy McClain

From the blog:
You, our biggest fans, have pre-ordered more Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition consoles in the first five days than any Xbox ever.

After which they sold out of stock. So it's also the fastest sell out Xbox SKU ever. But not necessarily the most in qty.

It would be easier to look at total preorder sales of 1X (standard + limited) vs the Xbox One but we would have to wait until launch day to get that number. I still don't know how to break out allocation with this figure unfortunately. At least nothing comes to mind. Open to more suggestions.

If we make the assumption of 80/20 rule for preorders (80% front loaded), then we could say ~800K preorders.

I think it's possible it will surpass XBO Pre-orders. I don't say this because I think people are coming over from PlayStation. I don't think they are. I say this for all the folks upgrading and folks upgrading from 360 who waited until they got the power they wanted.

I still think MS has a lot of numbers showing that their user base has not converted over from 360. Hence the BC and game pass initiatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back