DF's role in Xbox marketing *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its obvious. Anytime anything good is said about MS its because they're shills. Anytime something good is said about Sony its because its the truth.

Yeah, I'm getting tired of that bullshit logic being posted on our forums. Its intellectual dishonesty and trolling.
To be fair, DrJay24's comment is ambiguous and could be benign. That's why I've asked for clarification.

From my own experience, pie from the sky view, of being on these forums, and developing for PS3 once;

Sony has always been very safe guarding of their IPs. And MS has a pretty open door policy, and that even reflects on their social media policies as well.

The number of NDAs and leaks and information about Sony hardware is fairly dismal; even when it did get leaked this year Sony has been serving everyone up with DCMA charges. Without being a developer, we know nothing of their API still, we don't know what it is and isn't capable of. We know nothing.

MS has always been this open book. And when people are starving for information like we are, we get excited to talk about it. Even when XBO is the inferior piece of hardware, MS still brought out for everyone to see. Even when the SDK leaked, they just let it go. I've yet to see that happen with PS4.

I don't see how DF getting exclusive and being excited about it, would be any different than say us (b3d) getting the exclusive. That information is not easy come by, and if Sony wanted preferable type excitement when it comes to hardware they could too, but it's not their policy.

So when i hear bias, like DF is paid, helping MS? I have to ask you back, has Sony ever wanted people to know about their hardware?

This is not scientific method, this is journalism, people are allowed to be excited and use words like unprecedented.

The showcase for games, and the consistency of results so far coming out of 1X would show that Richard was right in his enthusiasm.

I don't think they've done anything wrong.

Honestly I don't see where the problem is. DF report on the data and info they get. This time around I have to say MS have a lot going for them, and I'm just happy that this will probably (hopefully) make Sony get their act together with how they have been handling the Pro.

As said many times before, the more successful you get the more you sit on your laurels. Sony have the advantage of great, great exclusives but when it came to the Pro they seemed strangely restrained, and after that, well you've heard it enough from me by now. Not very impressed. Lots of games of Pro-enhanced games (300 I think?) but we have to use a forum to figure out what feature is in what game. Shameful.

Honestly I don't see where the problem is. DF report on the data and info they get. This time around I have to say MS have a lot going for them, and I'm just happy that this will probably (hopefully) make Sony get their act together with how they have been handling the Pro.

As said many times before, the more successful you get the more you sit on your laurels. Sony have the advantage of great, great exclusives but when it came to the Pro they seemed strangely restrained, and after that, well you've heard it enough from me by now. Not very impressed. Lots of games of Pro-enhanced games (300 I think?) but we have to use a forum to figure out what feature is in what game. Shameful.

PS4 was a huge success. Sony is just trying to make sure people with PS4s don't feel like they're being left behind. The goal with PS4 Pro is to have an SKU with a bigger margin, most likely. Sony doesn't need it to be a huge seller. Microsoft, on the other hand, needs One X to be a big success, so they're promoting the hell out of it. They gave the detailed specs and interviews to DF because they know DF is the most qualified of the gaming press to know what it all means. It's not shilling. It's just DF doing their job, and interpreting the specs and performance as it is.

PS4 was a huge success. Sony is just trying to make sure people with PS4s don't feel like they're being left behind. The goal with PS4 Pro is to have an SKU with a bigger margin, most likely. Sony doesn't need it to be a huge seller. Microsoft, on the other hand, needs One X to be a big success, so they're promoting the hell out of it. They gave the detailed specs and interviews to DF because they know DF is the most qualified of the gaming press to know what it all means. It's not shilling. It's just DF doing their job, and interpreting the specs and performance as it is.
I have 2 PS4 Pro's at home. I love the hardware, I love the games that use it, and there's a lot of them.

The problem is really all about a general lack of tech info anywhere!

Lol. You really believe that?
My initial reaction was the same as many, but I can read it with a different focus where it's benign - DF, doing what they do, are function in a similar capacity to an MS technical arm if MS had one running PR, and as such MS's PR is bolstered by DF currently doing what DF do. That doesn't mean DF is operating under MS's guidance or as their lapdog.

I have 2 PS4 Pro's at home. I love the hardware, I love the games that use it, and there's a lot of them.

The problem is really all about a general lack of tech info anywhere!

Yah, I get it. I just think they're intentionally withholding on PS4 Pro, because they don't want it to overshadow PS4, because that's the majority of their customer base. They don't want people with PS4 constantly being fed info about how much better PS4 Pro is. That's my thought on the matter anyway.

People's perception of bias is influenced by their own biases. Bias accusations of people with a clear Sony/MS bias are very rarely relevant unless they are indicating a bias that aligns with theirs.

A MS fanboy accusing a site of being biased towards MS could lead to an interesting discussion. A MS fanboy accusing a site of being biased towards Sony probably won't.

My initial reaction was the same as many, but I can read it with a different focus where it's benign - DF, doing what they do, are function in a similar capacity to an MS technical arm if MS had one running PR, and as such MS's PR is bolstered by DF currently doing what DF do. That doesn't mean DF is operating under MS's guidance or as their lapdog.

The issue with that is that at no point did he make the same claim about Sony when Sony was benefitting from it. DF are doing nothing different with MS than they have done with Sony. Yet we only heard about them being a "technical wing of MS sales" and not one of Sony's when it's the Sony that is benefitting from their coverage.

Regards,
SB

The issue with that is that at no point did he make the same claim about Sony when Sony was benefitting from it.
Was there a discussion where it was relevant to talk about Sony's PR being bolstered by tech coverage?

I can't say what DrJay24's motives were as I don't know. What I can say is that what he wrote could have been a snarky comment about DF, or could have been an observation about the benefits MS is gaining from DF's coverage. Interpretations will differ based on perspectives and prejudices, for platforms and posters.

Was there a discussion where it was relevant to talk about Sony's PR being bolstered by tech coverage?

I can't say what DrJay24's motives were as I don't know. What I can say is that what he wrote could have been a snarky comment about DF, or could have been an observation about the benefits MS is gaining from DF's coverage. Interpretations will differ based on perspectives and prejudices, for platforms and posters.
There was claims of bias towards Sony, I'm sure I made some dumb comments about that when I was picking out stupidness in their compare videos as an argument point, but I've never seen the claim of DF being part of sony's marketing channels.

It's basically the same coverage of Sony's PS4-P from DF basically. The only difference is that no-one accused DF of being just a "technical wing" of Sony's sales department whereas the same coverage results in claims that they are a "technical wing" of MS's sales department.

I thought the coverage was fine in both cases. People were interested in the launch of the PS4-P and DF provided coverage. People are interested in the XBO-X and DF are providing coverage.

Hopefully we won't be rewarded with claims of MS bias everytime DF covers a new enhanced released, just like I'd hope that we didn't get rewarded with claims of bias when DF did pieces about PS4-P enhanced releases. The fact that there's likely to be more of them for the XBO-X would just be a reflection that there will likely be more enhanced versions released for the XBO-X (WRT to already released titles, I expecting it be similar for new titles getting released).

Regards,
SB

They dont need to make the Pro the big seller, but they SHOULD give it proper support for those that own it. Its like saying that a product you buy is only worth supporting if its a volume seller. But no, Sony should have been a bit more careful with the pro and delight its consumers. And if it sells more, sure why not?

My last post on this because it's DrJay24's argument - I've already made the same accusations and am just pointing out here that there's ambiguity and, IMO, people should be given the benefit of the doubt and a chance to clarify. Reiterating that poinit won't make people any more aware of it if their minds are already made up though, so last post (until DrJay24 weighs in).

It's basically the same coverage of Sony's PS4-P from DF basically. The only difference is that no-one accused DF of being just a "technical wing" of Sony's sales department whereas the same coverage results in claims that they are a "technical wing" of MS's sales department.
Okay, read the exact words and notice the room for interpretation.

"MS has the advantage of DF doing great work on their behalf, like a technical wing of MS sales."

DF are operating like a technical wing of MS sales. In what way? In trying to sell people on getting an XBOX? Or in providing the same sort of technical info that a technical wing of the PR department would (because the technical info is the same)?

It's not claiming bias on DF's part, as if they are failing to do the same for Sony. It's only observing the benefit MS are getting from DF's coverage. That observation could have been made impartially or with the prejudice some are reading.

The only bit that really weights it the other way is 'on their behalf', as if requested or specifically for their benefit, but that could be as much as a poor choice of words. Hence I prefer to give him a chance to clarify to before crucifying him. Maybe I should be a more judgemental person and react mostly based on first impressions? :p

Yah, I get it. I just think they're intentionally withholding on PS4 Pro, because they don't want it to overshadow PS4, because that's the majority of their customer base. They don't want people with PS4 constantly being fed info about how much better PS4 Pro is. That's my thought on the matter anyway.
Exactly. MS is not afraid of prematurely burying the bone in its grave because it is halfway there already. Both companies are using very reasonable strategies fore the situation each is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back