CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Do you mind sharing how you get a 1070 to 30MH/s @95W? Both mine are running -50% power, +700MHz memory and hashing at 30+MH/s. Top card running @38 degrees, bottom card @ 63 degrees. Hardware Info is reporting average power consumption at about 115W and 110W respectively, however I assume that is the GPU power and the cards could well be pulling more. That's running on Win 10 and using Afterburner to change settings.

This is from memory so I need to check again.

I'm in Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 desktop) running with cool bits=24 then -200 core +1000 memory pulling 690w at the wall with an i3 I think. Need to estimate the consumption from the i3, mb, risers and ssd.

In windows, it's helpful to lower the power target (I've found 65% to work well on a 1070) as well as GPU-clock a bit (-70 to -100) so there's less jumping around in frequency and [edit: and less jumping to] higher voltage. If you want, you can lock voltage in MSI Afterburner for example by pressing STRG+F, select the 800 mV point an press L. That prevents higher voltages from being used but not lower ones, has a more consistent power profile.

With a 1070 FE in Windows I'm at ~31.5 MH/s with 100 Watt (GFX cards alone) while also displaying the desktop.

I hope, Wattman and Undervolting will soon work realiably on Vega to toy around with.

Last edited:
What do you mean? With 717GB/s it's got a good deal more bandwidth than the Titan Xp (548GB/s). I guess that doesn't quite explain the 2× difference, but maybe having four HBM2 channels is really helpful somehow.
GP100 has 64 SPs per multiprocessor vs 128 SPs per multiprocessor in other Pascal chips. So it has effectively twice the register space probably making it far better at hiding the latency of random dword reading from dag.

Did not see this posted, but interesting profitability breakdown.
Article is dated, so Vega info would need updating ...

gZ6WDjXn6Ct8vrBssNjak5-650-80.png

http://www.pcgamer.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-cryptocurrency-mining/

Last edited:
I'd say yes, it's quite outdated, as it states daily income for Vega 56 as lower than a 1070 while it should be higher by around 30%, for ethereum at least. Also RX580 values for ethereum are quite off, and it does not even take in account that miners will downvolt the cards and use modded BIOSes.

Yeh, it's very confusing article, they speak mostly about Ethereum but ASICs are not used for that. Also, power does not cost everywhere the same, I know a couple of guys who don't even pay for it as they have solar panels large enough to feed two or three systems (and they invested very little as they had incentives in the past who covered around 80% of the total price of tha plant).

Basically every article that rates mining ability based on $$ generated is garbage since that includes a constantly changing commodity value. If anyone's going to write an article like this just rank then based on algorithm efficiency please. Oh and name the algo too.

I think they're basing their findings on whatever the nicehash client (or it's profitability calculator) is saying (which is varying on the fly).
Other than that, there would be too man things that just don't make sense as has been mentioned - Vega for example. And pure ETH, 1070 is faster than 1080 for example.

Yeh, it's very confusing article, they speak mostly about Ethereum but ASICs are not used for that. Also, power does not cost everywhere the same, I know a couple of guys who don't even pay for it as they have solar panels large enough to feed two or three systems (and they invested very little as they had incentives in the past who covered around 80% of the total price of tha plant).

I'm sure their government wouldn't be very happy to know what they're using the solar panels for..
Those incentives probably don't exist to enrich households that only contribute to further heat the planet.

I'm sure their government wouldn't be very happy to know what they're using the solar panels for..
Those incentives probably don't exist to enrich households that only contribute to further heat the planet.

They're not really heating anything up if they get their power from solar panels.

That said I can't say I'm very comfortable with the idea of burning fossil fuels to run purposefully costly algorithms just to make money out of thin (but ever thicker) air.

They're not really heating anything up if they get their power from solar panels.
There's always the heat output coming from the cards themselves.
Of course the main point is that subsidy definitely doesn't exist to give more profits to miners.

Of course, solar panels are not coming out of china, manufactured under questionable circumstances at best (something that they share with the computer world), not using any energy in getting produced and the being shipped half-way around the world in order to work at very low efficiency outside of sahara desert. They don't suffer wear and need no maintenance and of course, the energy produced by them is still available just as well to lessen the need for burning fossil fuels - the main reason for them being subsizdized.

Just saying, there's no such thing as „free energy“.

It depends, do you know that mining is something useful, and this is the reason it is worth money?
I would be very, very grateful if you could explain to me how mining is valuable and what useful things come from it! No joke, I can't figure it out for the life of me so I'd love to hear any inputs/thoughts you have on the subject.

My only request is that you use not too big of words and try and make it so someone who is very unfamiliar with mining can understand it. I know that's asking a lot, but I'm really interested in finding out just what mining is all about except for trading CPU/GPU cycles magically in to real, actual monies.

Sorry if it is an imposition, feel free to ignore it...but if you have the time even a quicky over view on how it does something and produces something useful would be fantastic! I just don't get that part.

Thank you in advance!

I would be very, very grateful if you could explain to me how mining is valuable and what useful things come from it! No joke, I can't figure it out for the life of me so I'd love to hear any inputs/thoughts you have on the subject.

My only request is that you use not too big of words and try and make it so someone who is very unfamiliar with mining can understand it. I know that's asking a lot, but I'm really interested in finding out just what mining is all about except for trading CPU/GPU cycles magically in to real, actual monies.

Sorry if it is an imposition, feel free to ignore it...but if you have the time even a quicky over view on how it does something and produces something useful would be fantastic! I just don't get that part.

Thank you in advance!

I'll take a stab at it, though I probably have an imperfect understanding myself.

Mining is the means that is used to validate transactions on the a blockchain through a process called Proof of Work, that basically involves solving a very complex math problem that proves that the transaction is valid (the party sending value "owns" the value they are trying to transfer to the receiver) The first party to come up with a valid solution to the problem and report it to the network is rewarded with an amount of the digital currency (it varies from coin to coin). This reward is the incentive for parties to be willing to invest in the equipment and incur the costs of running it to come up with these solutions which require more and more work to find over time. Once a block of transactions is validated in this way, it is permanently added to the blockchain.

The Blockchain is a distributed (everybody on the network has an identical copy that is continually updated) ledger of every transaction that has ever occurred on the network that every participant agrees is correct. This enables me to send value, in the form of the digital currency, to any other party on the network without having to trust them, without even having to know who they are beyond a wallet address, anywhere in the world without the involvement of banks, governments or any other third-party arbiter. Enabling this, is the valuable thing that miners are doing.

Yes, the uses are primarly in finance/banking but there are other applications under development, in the administrative / notary's department, and in supply chain traceability. Not even speaking of security.

Excellent explanation mrcorbo!

Someday soon the most advanced countries will use blockchains for voting. Imagine being able to confirm how you voted, that your votes were counted and ask unalterable and anonymous.

Then there's gambling, international purchasing without the exchange mess and, eventually, smart contracts.

Back