Xbox One Insider Dashboard OS Previews [2017]

The home screen needed a big change. Not sure the dashboard needed to be changed, but it basically looks the same with the categories horizontal instead of vertical.

One nice adjustment they made with it being Horizontal is now one can use the Bumpers to navigate around the Tabs in The Guide.

@AzBat I'll be impressed with Snap return or at least more Video Overlays introduced.

Another item I'll be impressed is if they can make My Games & Apps not take as long to load up the display tiles when set to Medium Tiles and 238 Games. I can right-trigger down about 4 full screens before I notice the loading to replace the blank tiles.

IMHO besides some UI decision the real problem of the GUI experience is that it's not really updated/kept updated in the background for the essential realtime infos.

Last edited:
New ui seems decent. The dashboard does seem to make a little more sense with the horizontal layout. The home screen is better just because you can quickly load your last few active games or apps. To be totally honest, I don't use the community feed or the entertainment feed. I do use the store when I buy games and rent movies sometimes, but most of the ui is stuff I'll never touch.

Does tab selection wrap around with the bumpers? i.e. go from Home to Store with LB?

ಠ_ಠ

Heaven forbid they have a flexible design with an arbitrary number of tabs. Do the triggers shift from one end of the tabs to the other?

I was exhausted last night so didn't get to spend any time on the new dashboard ui. I even crashed before it showed the update being available.

I'll file a suggestion about being able to wrap around on the home tabs and the guide.

I was exhausted last night so didn't get to spend any time on the new dashboard ui. I even crashed before it showed the update being available.

I'll file a suggestion about being able to wrap around on the home tabs and the guide.
your score is incredible.. honestly, I don't know how you do it. Each month it's remarkable

Looks like universal hate for the new UI.

I don't have an opinion because I haven't tried it yet, but with so much blank canvas in the new UI, the complete dismissal of TV anywhere on any of the tabs is a big loss (especially for a console with HDMI in)

I've used it just a bit. I'm not hating or liking it yet. Need some more time with it, but I was surprised at the burying of a few things like no notifications/messages indicators on the home page. You have to go to guide to see them now.

Tommy McClain

I'll have to see what people are complaining about. It's really not that different. But maybe there are features people use that I don't.

If it's not that different, people will likely dislike it more than like it if it changes their 'workflow'. Like going to a supermarket only to find they've rearranged it and now you don't know where anything is. OIf the changes bring benefits, people will adapt and see them. But if they are just changes and don't bring anything meaningful with the change, we'll likely just be annoyed at a pointless change. I have many complaints about PS4's UI as Sony made random, pointless changes to the interface everyone was familiar with on PS3, which has just made me less efficient in navigating it.

As far as I can tell the guide is the same with the tabs horizontal instead of vertical. The home screen now has more convenient shortcuts to current games and apps but otherwise the vertical layout remains where you have to page down to see your pins. Everything is basically in the same place that it was before.

The Guide no longer has a dedicated page for notifications. It's been combined with the Settings page. Major Nelson said on Reddit they will be addressing that complaint. Also there's more changes on the other Guide pages too. They have simplified it by burying things down an extra level. So some things require more button pushes. Highly recommend reading this detailed complaint on Reddit...

The Case against the new Xbox UI

I don't agree with everything he posted, but there are a few things he has legitimate concerns about.

Tommy McClain

That Community page. lol Somehow it manages to have worse readability than MySpace.

I never understood Suggested Friends. If anything, just give me the button to expand to see which of my already chosen friends are online instead there. Tips button - really now.

edit:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit2: Pin 8 -> MOAR PINS

AlHome.jpg

Last edited:
Suggested Friends is not always there. It had an online friend show up there for me.

Tommy McClain

Back