AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

I am serioulsy wondering about hen and egg here. I mean, there are reports of mining farms buying whole truckloads directly from AIBs with cards not even reaching e-tail anymore. Maybe the e-tails gradually raised prices up to this level strictly because cards were out of stock constantly (and not even in stock in between).
Retailers are getting resupplied. Albeit not at normal rates. So when the cards do come in stock, it tends to be a small number, which in turn get purchased pretty quickly.

Not that the cause really matters for retailers; you price your cards at what they will sell for and not a penny less.

Retailers are getting resupplied. Albeit not at normal rates. So when the cards do come in stock, it tends to be a small number, which in turn get purchased pretty quickly.

Not that the cause really matters for retailers; you price your cards at what they will sell for and not a penny less.
One of the bigger e-tailers in germany (top 5 I think) did stop shipping mining-relevant graphics cards and cancelled pre-orders altogether about one month ago which I considered kind of a drastic reaction. They were complaining, that they got no supply since shipments were bought off the supply chain directly in asia.

In the meantime, I think they have reinstated them into their warehouse again (google translate should work):
Code:
https://www.facebook.com/MindfactoryAG/posts/10156368229543626
(FB links keep getting messed up for me)

Considering the pervasiveness of change AI could bring to our future shortly, you're right on one account; NV isn't aiming for the future -- they just help shaping it up.
If you're referring to tensor-cores in GV100, I would argue they are unlikely to make an appearance in consumer GPUs and that the concept isn't actually new, Google being already on their 2nd gen TPUs (Tensor Processing Units). I'm not saying NVIDIA isn't bringing anything new in, just that AMD seems to be again looking (possibly too far) into the future more

Unless of course catering to a certain market puts them at a competitive disadvantage in another. Then they need to make choices.

I'm not sure, given their financial position, that they can afford to. They can't risk putting all of their eggs into one basket and even if they did do that, there's no guarantee that they would gain enough of a an advantage from focusing product development on fewer markets to make up for the loss of the other(s).

AMD Quarterly R&D spend

Nvidia Quarterly R&D spend

Intel Quarterly R&D spend

That's their competition. Maybe we should temper our expectations a bit...

It's worth noting that a fair chunk of the Intel R&D budget is absorbed by fab development. AMD and Nvidia, being fabless, don't have this expense directly.

Cheers

I'm not sure, given their financial position, that they can afford to. They can't risk putting all of their eggs into one basket and even if they did do that, there's no guarantee that they would gain enough of a an advantage from focusing product development on fewer markets to make up for the loss of the other(s).

AMD Quarterly R&D spend

Nvidia Quarterly R&D spend

Intel Quarterly R&D spend

Exactly. And on top of that, they are contractually bound to have their products produced at a not-quite leading edge fab.
Would Hawaii (R290/R390) have been more successful overall if it hadn't supported the fp64 rate it did? Smaller, cheaper, lower power - did its HPC volume really suffice to compensate for the weaker competitiveness?
Projecting forward, AMD is already fighting an uphill battle in terms of R&D resources and being tied to Global Foundries. So if they try to make their GPU do fp64 for that market, other formats for AI learning, targeting cryptocurrencies in ISA and data handling - how competitive is such a part likely to be on the discrete graphics market? Its like starting the tour de France on a monocycle, and then deciding to juggle four different balls as you race. Chances of competitiveness are slim. That's an exaggerated picture, of course, but trying to make a Jack of all trades chip when you are already at a disadvantage comes with costs in terms of engineering resources, time to market, die size and thus cost and power, harder work for the software side - the list goes on.
To me, with limited resources it makes more sense to target the largest market and try to do really well there.
The next few years will tell the tale I guess.

9 years ago AMD had 2x R&D vs Nvidia
Now they have almost 2x less, even tho they make CPUs too
scary :(

9 years ago AMD had fab development budget like Intel does, which is why their R&D budget went down $100M between Q4'09 and Q1'10, and why it kept going down until 2012 where AMD completely divested from GlobalFoundries.
2009 is also the year AMD sold the ULP GPU line Imageon to Qualcomm, so that might have been part of the reason.

Curiously, you can also see how much R&D budget was being spent for GPUs during those years, as you see a ~$150M increase in R&D budget between Q3'06 and Q1'07, which is when AMD acquired ATi.
It's close to the same amount that nvidia was spending during the same time period.

So it's not like AMD's graphics engineers were swimming in R&D resources compared to nvidia back in 2009. They probably had a lower budget all things considered.

What shouldn't be ignored is the R&D expenditure between 2015 and late 2016 (below $250M for the whole thing), which culminates with launching a brand new CPU architecture and a large "tock" in their GPU line during 2017.
No wonder Vega is late and the drivers aren't ready, and despite Ryzen getting a successfully popular launch the motherboards are still getting BIOS updates with incremental performance upgrades and support for higher-clocked DDR4..
Let's just hope whatever they saved in R&D during the past 2 years will enable AMD to do better in the future.

BTW, I see in this slide, 14nm and 14nm+ :

gpuroadmap.png

Does that mean we can see at some point a "refreshed" Vega with 14nm+ ? Is this even a thing at GlobalFoundries ?

Wasn't there mention awhile back of a similar refresh for Ryzen being on a refined process?

BTW, I see in this slide, 14nm and 14nm+ :

Does that mean we can see at some point a "refreshed" Vega with 14nm+ ? Is this even a thing at GlobalFoundries ?

Makes sense. Navi moves into the expensive/low-volume slots on the new process and Vega, on an improved version of the now mature 14nm process, bumps Polaris down or completely replaces it lower in the product stack where the products are low-margin/high-volume.

If you're referring to tensor-cores in GV100, I would argue they are unlikely to make an appearance in consumer GPUs and that the concept isn't actually new, Google being already on their 2nd gen TPUs (Tensor Processing Units).
Just because a feature has the same name doesn't mean it's not innovative or forward looking. Similarly, just because it has the same core operations (multiply-add), doesn't mean it not novel either. Using this kind of reasoning, one could claim that AMD and Nvidia haven't done anything new other than refine designs by Silicon Graphics.

Tensor cores did not magically appear out of thin air in Volta when Google first announced their first generation in 2016. They were probably planned and designed quite some time before that.

I'm not saying NVIDIA isn't bringing anything new in, just that AMD seems to be again looking (possibly too far) into the future more
If you build it, they will come, right?

You could invest in a state of the art sports field. Or you could build an initially slightly less advanced field (and upgrade it over time), but build a spectators' stadium around it that the other one sadly forgot to build. ;-)

But that's actually not really how it went.

Nvidia was the first by two years to release their compute solution, with an architecture that was better suited for it, C compilers, libraries, tools, etc.

That started way back when Nvidia did not have some massive R&D advantage.

And they never. stopped. pushing it, with university sponsorships, conferences, and adding features that are attractive for compute only: think ECC, FP64 or, yes, tensor cores (which probably caught AMD completely by surprise.)

GCN was a really nice way to catch up on the HW side and get ahead in some gaming ways, but that's really about it.

Meanwhile, we're 3 years after the first announcement of cuDNN, and AMD is still promising to have their first version soon while Nvidia is likely making more money with cuDNN alone than AMD with their whole GPU division.

Also, how forward looking is an architecture really when it becomes uncompetitive due to power and clock scaling issues the moment the competition starts paying attention to those factors, and even more so when the next process arrives?

Makes sense. Navi moves into the expensive/low-volume slots on the new process and Vega, on an improved version of the now mature 14nm process, bumps Polaris down or completely replaces it lower in the product stack where the products are low-margin/high-volume.
Navi, if an MCM design, prefers high volume markets because of binning. Same as Ryzen. If AMD went that route it's hard to imagine Navi not replacing the entire stack simply by varying the number of chips present. Navi will likely be Vega scaled down and with many chips. Along with typical advances and tweaks. The concept doesn't leave much room for prior architectures to be bumped down.

Navi, if an MCM design, prefers high volume markets because of binning. Same as Ryzen. If AMD went that route it's hard to imagine Navi not replacing the entire stack simply by varying the number of chips present. Navi will likely be Vega scaled down and with many chips. Along with typical advances and tweaks. The concept doesn't leave much room for prior architectures to be bumped down.

Yeah, that works. Refined Vega for 2018, giving them until 2019 to do the software/hardware development to get MCM working performantly and compatibly. I didn't realize that Navi was the architecture where they are rumored to be making that move.

So Navi is not H2 2018 anymore ? :D If Navi is on time, Vega (as a product) will be really short lived. Maybe it's a good thing... I hope they don't make a Fiji. Like, "ok, screw the high end for 1 generation", and Navi being only for low end/mid end, like Polaris was....

So Navi is not H2 2018 anymore ? :D If Navi is on time, Vega (as a product) will be really short lived. Maybe it's a good thing... I hope they don't make a Fiji. Like, "ok, screw the high end for 1 generation", and Navi being only for low end/mid end, like Polaris was....
I think Vega is the key for MCM. The tiled base Rasterizer and hbm Memory with hbcc is the first step to reduce latency and speed up interconnections and reduce unnecessary data. Was Vega first full chip bye raja?

Maybe Navi is intially going to be introduced at the bottom of the stack and will then get scaled up with MCM SKUs to replace Vega+? Just trying to make sense of the timeline.

So if they try to make their GPU do fp64 for that market, other formats for AI learning, targeting cryptocurrencies in ISA and data handling - how competitive is such a part likely to be on the discrete graphics market? Its like starting the tour de France on a monocycle, and then deciding to juggle four different balls as you race. Chances of competitiveness are slim. That's an exaggerated picture, of course, but trying to make a Jack of all trades chip when you are already at a disadvantage comes with costs in terms of engineering resources, time to market, die size and thus cost and power, harder work for the software side - the list goes on.

First off, being competitive doesn't only mean having the best perf/area and/or perf/watt. Those two are great to have because you get to charge more (per-die-mm^2) than the competition for a product with similar performance, and make more profit out of it. But it's not the only thing that determines a product's competitiveness, there's also price and client focus, among other things.

As for the rest, I think AMD simply looked at it another way.
There isn't a single race. There are several races: gaming, CAD, compute, etc.
Instead of trying to desperately win first place in this single race called gaming consumer (where they would hardly ever get a victory because of a substantial disadvantage in manufacturing process and R&D budget), they're making this jack-of-all-trades GPU that can run and be competitive in almost all races.
So they're admittedly not winning the consumer gaming race, ok. But they're close second in many races and even winning a couple, like the Pro SSG in video editing. Remember the client focus part? They had RED's CEO going on stage saying "thank you for being the only ones to ever give a fuck", these were literally his words. And RED sells their own video acceleration cards so Vega Pro SSG is likely to cut into the company's profits somehow -> this is how much they liked the attention (also, if professionals can work seamlessly with 8K, they'll be selling a lot more of their 8K cameras). Then there are the compute&AI cards that trade blows with GP100 (unless double precision is needed), CAD cards that trade blows with GP102, miners, etc.

As for Vega as a gaming card, I guess we're all a little butthurt for us gamers not being AMD's primary focus (unlike every single card from AMD so far?). Take a few exceptions in this forum, we were all hoping for a card with Titan Xp performance while consuming 150W (and while at it throw some way to hard-lock miners from using it).. and it's obviously not what we're getting.
But despite that, RX Vega is competitive. Of course AMD is making less money on RX Vega than nvidia on GP104 at a similar MSRP, but they're definitely still making money on those cards and they're still competing. And lots of people will still prefer the RX Vega, whether because they purchased a Freesync monitor or they're willing to bet the card will largely surpass its current competition down the road, or something else.

In the end, given AMD's current inability to develop 5/6 different graphics chips at once every 18 months, releasing 1 or 2 chips per year that are either able to sell in several markets (Vega) or cater to a large segment of the gaming market (Polaris 10/11) is a much safer bet for profitable returns than putting all their eggs into the high-end gaming basket.
Even if that makes RX Vega look like it's racing the tour de France on a monocycle while juggling four different balls.

Not according to anandtech's latest article on GF's roadmap. Though it is indeed strange to see GF offering the exact same flagship process for 2.5 years.
My guess is there's definitely some on-going process optimization happening between 2016 and 2018, and AMD probably knows better than anyone else the point at which they can call it "14nm+" and start making new chips that specifically take advantage of it.

Maybe Navi is intially going to be introduced at the bottom of the stack and will then get scaled up with MCM SKUs to replace Vega+? Just trying to make sense of the timeline.
Would seem likely, but probably follow Zen's release schedule. Need the lower binned products out first while saving better bins for higher end products. Get the equivalent of a perfect die for high end products which is all but impossible with monolithic design.

AMD's Mike Mantor states ALL Vega SKUs will have HBCC enabled. But when asked if Notebook or APUs will have it, not necessarily. He says other memory types could be used in situations HBM doesn't make sense.

Then what is HBCC then? Why call it "High Bandwidth Cache Controller"? Does it just refer to the fact that it could use system memory and even fast storage as virtual memory? And that it handles it better?

They never seem to mention what "high bandwidth" part of the HBCC is. I am guessing the single biggest benefit is unified, virtual memory to allow bigger memory for the GPU, just like the Radeon Pro SSG. Later when we get much faster NVM solutions like with 3D XPoint using storage as VRAM would make more sense. And "high bandwidth" part merely refers to the fact that the fastest large memory in the GPU(whether its GDDR or HBM) can act as a cache for the rest.

Hence, its really a future-proofing technology, not a immediate big frames per second boost in games. Hence the only 7% or so increase in one of the slides.

Last edited:
Back