Crackdown 3 [XO, XPA]

You are right. Downgrades never happen in the games business. Let's hope you are right...

You are right. Downgrades never happen in the games business. Let's hope you are right...
LOL you're basing there are downgrades based on them not showing it & failed promises of other games that's not theirs. I really get that, but they have specifically have said recently it's still there & until they show otherwise I feel that assumption without any evidence is just spreading FUD. Wait until the game is out before you start to lynch them.

Tommy McClain

I'm basing it on being highly skeptical of the plausibility of the whole concept of real time physics in an action game through the cloud from the very begining. I hope to be wrong, but I still think the demo we saw years ago won't materialize exactly the way shown then in the final product.

I'm basing it on being highly skeptical of the plausibility of the whole concept of real time physics in an action game through the cloud from the very begining. I hope to be wrong, but I still think the demo we saw years ago won't materialize exactly the way shown then in the final product.

Somebody told you at a young age that Santa Claus wasn't real, right?

Tommy McClain

Those systems don't make sense in the world of Crackdown where the police (agents) are the only protection against the thugs. There are no fire fighters or police . You are basicly the law. At the end of the first one you found out the agency was evil and you destroyed it. So it will make sense to have even less structure in the world. But in crackdown 1 and 2 as you attacked thug strongholds more would arrive to fight.

CD and CD2 had hit squads. Fill up the meter and gangs would send squads to come after you. This included peacekeepers. Kill too many innocent people and the agency would send people after you.

The only thing CD didn't have (at least I don't remember) is planes or helis (cd2 had wing suits). But that would defeat the platforming mechanic.

Given the delay or long development time, I'm hard pressed to believe the gameplay that we have been given so far is the culprit forcing 3.5-4 years worth of waiting.

Agreed, this delay is critical for their success; delayed until the end of spring this game has a better chance of reaching the 80%+ MC score. At its current condition, i would estimate a mid 60s to low 70s

I haven't seen a lot of focus (information) in the cloud computing performance of the game or how will impact not having a great internet connection. Does someone has an idea?

Hopefully the delay is really to improve graphics.

If your internet sucks you'll probably just see shit warping around until you get booted from the multiplayer session.

I wonder what they could achieve in this period of time tho, it's not like they could revamp the whole rendering system, change to a different engine or drastically increase detail since all the ground work is laid out already. It's pretty much QA time frame at this point and perhaps optimizing the Cloud bit more? I'm 70% betting it's gonna get canceled at some point.

Really disappointed. Makes me wonder if MS can get their crap together. I don't see it getting cancelled outright. They can't afford another one, but could see them maybe splitting off the multiplayer part off into a separate game or just cancelling it if the cloud compute is not working up to par. Man the shit storm that would cause. As for the graphics needing work, don't understand the complaints. It's supposed to like a comic book & I think it looks great as is. Hope they don't screw with that.

Tommy McClain

I'm 70% betting it's gonna get canceled at some point.

The timings are very similar to what happened with Scalebound, looks like history is repeating again. I'm curious about the premise of the game and wonder if it can spearhead the cloud computing for big AAA games.

This is actually kindof weird and sad. its been ages. Was announced at Xbox1 launch?
It has to be changing goals otherwise why would such a game get so delayed? Its a cartoonish open world mayhem game, Even Sunset Overdrive was of the same genre and got released ages ago.
Or maybe they are too tied up with the cloud computing implementation. Is it really that difficult if we set a lower cieling for connection speeds? I dont think so, it seems more like the ship being steered in different directions for months at a time only to be steered to somewhere else later. Whatever the reason, such delays and cancellations are bad for the industry. No matter what the brand goals for MS are, these are genuine devs working their asses off there and wouldnt want their careers affected by irresponsible decisions from the parent cpompany.
Not painting an evil picture or anything, just that I feel such aimless endeavours really affect profiles of ppl working there. These same talented guys could have made great games int eh same time.
Similar stuff has happened with me in the last year at a VR company and its bad for all.

I haven't seen a lot of focus (information) in the cloud computing performance of the game or how will impact not having a great internet connection. Does someone has an idea?
Nobody knows anything about the cloud aspect - it's never been demonstrated beyond ideal local area networks. Without any details on how they're representing the destruction data, we can't even guess, other than to say there's probably a minimum performance requirement.

I'm curious about the premise of the game and wonder if it can spearhead the cloud computing for big AAA games.
Big mulitplayer games already use the power of the cloud. Crackdown was expected to be the poster child for using cloud computing for single player game improvement, but that's not the case - no game is doing that. AFAICS this game changes nothing regards the state of cloud computing other than perhaps a new technology for sharing large datasets across the internet. Again though, this has never been demonstrated in a realistic environment (across typical home internet connection) despite years of opportunity to do so, so we shouldn't assume there's anything particularly wonderful about the solution yet. We'll have to wait and see.

Xbox first party studios seem to have an issue with development hell.

If this continues to trend one would start to look at the leadership of MS first party studios: in this case Shannon Loftis, and looking higher, Phil Spencer.

There's a clear identity crisis happening at MS first party, they appear to not know what they want to do with building out their library, or the restrictions of Xbox being a division of MS as opposed to operating as its own company owned by MS could be causing a lot of turmoil here. Outside of the main 3 franchises they build out, it may be possible that they are having issues defining objectives for their other titles. great ideas without a North Star to aim for.

Breaking things down, it would appear from the hardware, OS and platform side of things MS is doing well, integrating across the organization. i wish I knew what was happening at a first party level.

Great post. Echos a lot of my concerns. Tweeted your post & tagged a bunch of Xbox execs. Hope you don't mind.

Tommy McClain

I think that using the artistic style of the game to completely disregard the graphical quality is a bit over generous. There's lots of comic book cell shaded games that can still look stunning at points, and we haven't seen that from CD3. Of course, it's possible that this is due to video compression and 1080p videos, etc.. but the game looks years old and just "explodey". I think the delay could be due to the poor reaction from the SP gameplay at E3. As was mentioned, they've essentially marketed the game as two completely different games with MP and SP.

And at this point, I'm not sure which one they would drop if forced.

I don't know how much Cloudgine is really involved with the CD3 tech, but they seem to have licensed it for a new VR game.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/08/they-came-from-space-brings-crackdown-3s-cloud-based-physics-to-vr/

So, I'm not sure that the MP component is the one that's going to get canned.

Back