Crackdown 3 [XO, XPA]

Well nobody said crackdown is the only mediocre game with sequels. ;)
There will always be people that will enjoy a game even if its mediocre so that doesnt say much
Other games that gave birth to sequels at least followed the times. This feels outdated
And to be honest Crackdown's reception has been going down than up and certainly, unless you were a fan of the series, it is not a title that makes people go crazy to buy an XBOX.
It feels like a title that will come and go as fast as it appeared.
So far thats what it tells me.
Who knows it may surprise me at the end
Considering all the complaints seem to be directed at the graphics and not knowing what the game play objectives are i think everyone is being harsh. The world is huge and dense and we still have a few months for them to show off more of what the game is like .

Considering all the complaints seem to be directed at the graphics and not knowing what the game play objectives are i think everyone is being harsh. The world is huge and dense and we still have a few months for them to show off more of what the game is like .
Animations look also outdated. Gameplay didnt showcase anything interesting or anything beyond a mindless shooting game from the 128 bit era.
Based on what they showed, the reactions are pretty natural.
Regardless I am giving it the benefit of the doubt.
Its been years since the game was first announced and they have yet to show us anything great. We will see

Animations look also outdated. Gameplay didnt showcase anything interesting or anything beyond a mindless shooting game from the 128 bit era.
Based on what they showed, the reactions are pretty natural.
Regardless I am giving it the benefit of the doubt.
Its been years since the game was first announced and they have yet to show us anything great. We will see
We saw diffrent things. I saw a huge sandbox that i can do anything I wanted to do in it just like the first crackdown.

We saw diffrent things. I saw a huge sandbox that i can do anything I wanted to do in it just like the first crackdown.
Do anything is GTA, Just Cause etc which improved with the times and showed larger variety and freedom in their unveiling and was reflected on release.This only showed shoot and collect in a large environment. Gameplay looks like a sandbox game from past generations

Game seems to be missing tons lighting when compared to their target. Which is why a lot of folks are dismissing it as last gne look, since last gen didn't have a lot of lighting either.

Don't know what they are going to do about it, lighting is pretty expensive.

This pre-alpha footage has more lighting than the SDCC build. https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1865192/

Do anything is GTA, Just Cause etc which improved with the times and showed larger variety and freedom in their unveiling and was reflected on release.This only showed shoot and collect in a large environment. Gameplay looks like a sandbox game from past generations
See I dislike GTA those game are horrible with horrid controls. Yes they have story but the game they are built around suck. I also haven't played just cuase since the first one which was a sandbox.

I like the sandbox of Crackdown because i can do things as i wanted throughout and the orb hunting was fun. If you want a just cause or gta just go buy one. Those games already exist.

Also last gen isn't bad , last gen was a great game. This year marks 20 years since the launch of ultima online and I would kill to get a new ultima online sanbox game with newer graphics and a fresh start

See I dislike GTA those game are horrible with horrid controls. Yes they have story but the game they are built around suck.
I haven't played them, but I believe the freedom and flexibility is unequalled because there are many interacting elements. eg. You can set fire to a place to get the firemen to leave their station. There's real cause-and-effect inside the living world. (I think!) Mesh is a saying GTA has taken that freedom to a next-gen level beyond the simpler open-city shenanigans of Crackdown and Infamous etc.

I haven't played them, but I believe the freedom and flexibility is unequalled because there are many interacting elements. eg. You can set fire to a place to get the firemen to leave their station. There's real cause-and-effect inside the living world. (I think!) Mesh is a saying GTA has taken that freedom to a next-gen level beyond the simpler open-city shenanigans of Crackdown and Infamous etc.
Those systems don't make sense in the world of Crackdown where the police (agents) are the only protection against the thugs. There are no fire fighters or police . You are basicly the law. At the end of the first one you found out the agency was evil and you destroyed it. So it will make sense to have even less structure in the world. But in crackdown 1 and 2 as you attacked thug strongholds more would arrive to fight you.

If you want a GTA game them buy GTA 5. I simply never had fun with them , found the aiming god awful and the drive highly suspect. In crackdown all the systems were fun and the control worked perfectly. I enjoyed the vast freedom of the crackdown world to take on strong holds as I saw fit or to continue getting orbs to make me stronger. This game sounds like more of what I loved about the first 2 games along with massive destruction in the multiplayer segments. So I for one am extremely happy about it. For the games you describe they already exist else where and can be purchased and played. I much rather have a diffrent experiance

Those systems don't make sense in the world of Crackdown where the police (agents) are the only protection against the thugs. There are no fire fighters or police . You are basicly the law. At the end of the first one you found out the agency was evil and you destroyed it. So it will make sense to have even less structure in the world. But in crackdown 1 and 2 as you attacked thug strongholds more would arrive to fight you.
It might well be explained, but it does mean simpler systems and less to do, doesn't it? I'm not going to get in a discussion because I really don't care. ;) But from Nesh's POV, the gameplay of Crackdown 3 isn't as complex and involved as other open-world games making it look outdated. But then that might be what the audience wants - simpler fun. Just a case of different folk having different tastes.

Yeah, I'd rather play a game like Crackdown than an open world game like GTA or even Read Dead Redemption.
I remember the 1st one rather fondly and if this is similar, then that's good enough for me.

That said, I don't think this should be a full priced game. Maybe $40 or so sounds about right.

It might well be explained, but it does mean simpler systems and less to do, doesn't it? I'm not going to get in a discussion because I really don't care. ;) But from Nesh's POV, the gameplay of Crackdown 3 isn't as complex and involved as other open-world games making it look outdated. But then that might be what the audience wants - simpler fun. Just a case of different folk having different tastes.

I don't think its simpler , I think the mechanics are there for a healthy game and the addition of orbs increases the complexity of what your doing.

Like I said if you want something complex then get gta 5 , there is room enough in the world for both games.

To me Crackdown is an open world platformer. CD3's footage is a little disappointing because it seems to lack the verticality of old and obtaining orbs seems rather easy. The devs claim the map is three times as wide and twice as high as the original but ultimately I'm hoping they make negotiating around and up/down the map challenging and entertaining.

Most open world games use a bunch of different activities for justification and utilization of their maps. The original CD mostly did it with one activity. Finding ways to get to out the way spots that may house an orb was the best part of the game. And revisiting areas to get to once unreachable spots was rewarding and made backtracking something most games can't even make tolerable.

I don't think I have explored a map as heavily as I explored the original crackdown. Every other game makes it a chore and relatively unrewarding. Almost all open world games are a bunch of going from point A to point B activities, the original CD was different because you could spend 90% of your time choosing your point Bs.

Last edited:
To me Crackdown is an open world platformer. CD3's footage is a little disappointing because it seems to lack the verticality of old and obtaining orbs seems rather easy. The devs claim the map is three times as wide and twice as high as the original but ultimately I'm hoping they make negotiating around and up/down the map challenging and entertaining..

Surprised this discussion got this far before somebody mentioned that Crackdown was designed to be more of a vertical open world than a horizontal one. Of course, C3 is supposed to be larger in both dimensions as dobwal's mentioned. For me, the vertical nature was the best part of C1, and the fact that it wasn't really expanded upon was the disappointing part of C2. The reason it takes place in a large citiscape is really just to provide a means for exploring the vertical nature of the game. Can't exactly have Crackdown set in Kansas.

But, as others have mentioned, other games have caught up. I was playing DC Universe a few weeks ago and the ability to climb and fly to the tops of buildings was very reminiscent of C1 and 2. In fact, the disappointing part of that game was the invisible ceiling that they put in the game.

Hopefully C3 will get it right.

What the Agency could use is a gargantuan aircraft that "protects" the citizens by keeping vigil, and also serves as an extension of the Agency Tower (literally).

Not that the Agency is some sort of authoritarian fascist organization hell bent on controlling its citizens with super powered Judge-Jury-Executioner Agents. Not at all.

Clearly.

I am not even expecting it to be as complex and involved as GTA
It just looks uninspiring. Animations are bad, gameplay looks repetitive, there is no element of experimentation or even the slightest concept of "doing whatever you want" (thats what eastmen said) within the context of a shooting game. It is not the simplicity that turns me off. It is the execution of it. Simple concepts can also do wonders with a little bit of ingenuity and nice mechanics. This one shows nothing of the sorts. Simplicity can be interesting if done right. This doesnt look interesting.
Sunset Overdrive got it better.

I am not even expecting it to be as complex and involved as GTA
It just looks uninspiring. Animations are bad, gameplay looks repetitive, there is no element of experimentation or even the slightest concept of "doing whatever you want" (thats what eastmen said) within the context of a shooting game. It is not the simplicity that turns me off. It is the execution of it. Simple concepts can also do wonders with a little bit of ingenuity and nice mechanics. This one shows nothing of the sorts. Simplicity can be interesting if done right. This doesnt look interesting.
Sunset Overdrive got it better.
your able to infer alot of stuff from the few videos they've released of the product.

your able to infer alot of stuff from the few videos they've released of the product.
Thats why I keep saying based on what they showed. The other games which are known quantities didnt demonstrate anything different but it was kinda ok for their time.
Does the animation look mediocre in the videos? Yes.
Did they show anything interesting? No.
Do the graphics look great? They look kinda ok.

Thats why I keep saying based on what they showed. The other games which are known quantities didnt demonstrate anything different but it was kinda ok for their time.
Does the animation look mediocre in the videos? Yes.
Did they show anything interesting? No.
Do the graphics look great? They look kinda ok.
I'm not sure I agree because your looking at only one aspect. A look at the multiplayer side of the equation shows something that none of the other games saint rows or gtas or what have you are able to do and that is massive scale destruction . So when i see a giant leap foward on that side one that none of those other series even comes close to the animations and graphics don't enter the equation

I'm not sure I agree because your looking at only one aspect. A look at the multiplayer side of the equation shows something that none of the other games saint rows or gtas or what have you are able to do and that is massive scale destruction . So when i see a giant leap foward on that side one that none of those other series even comes close to the animations and graphics don't enter the equation
*if it still has that large scale destruction as in the prototype was shown 3 years ago, and if it does work.

Back