Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stark contrast to some assertions that MS were effectively lying about their UHD support and shouldn't be allowed to sell the console on such grounds because it couldn't play a lot of discs.

I assume that was with the first few roll out attempts of 4K BR with all the changes. Same thing happened with HD DVD/BR for a while until players and authoring became more consistent. I pay little attention to "hobbyists" and generally wait for a summation from trusted sources.

Thats what many informed posters said, but the emotional kept insisting otherwise. Imagine that, it turned out exactly as the informed said, simple and expected early teething issues that will be worked out.

Certainly raises the value of the console if it could be reliably used for playing back movie discs.

But generally prefer dedicated disc player for the better remote. Didn't like booting up the PS3 for playing Blu-Rays or using the DS3 to control the playback.

Fans used to get loud from upscaling DVDs. The ASICs in dedicated Blu-Ray players for decoding and for upscaling seemed much more efficient, not requiring such noisy cooling systems.

Certainly raises the value of the console if it could be reliably used for playing back movie discs.

But generally prefer dedicated disc player for the better remote. Didn't like booting up the PS3 for playing Blu-Rays or using the DS3 to control the playback.

Fans used to get loud from upscaling DVDs. The ASICs in dedicated Blu-Ray players for decoding and for upscaling seemed much more efficient, not requiring such noisy cooling systems.

Xbox One, like the 360 before it, has an integrated IR sensor and it works great with my Harmony remote. It also auto-starts the BluRay player when you insert a disc, so by the time you sit down to watch the movie it is usually playing. Now that it supports bitstreaming, the only potential downside to using the One S as a UHD BluRay player is the lack of Dolby Vision support.

Has anyone tried playing back UHD BluRay using Dolby Atmos (or Windows Sonic) for Headphones via the Game Controller on the One S? I can't imagine it would have any issues, but was just curious.

Also wanted to add the Harmony remote control over the xbox works nicely. Works nicely with Amaxon Echo/Alexa too.

Yes, it does actually. Sort of. The ARRI ALEXA 65.
  • 65mm Digital Cinema Camera
  • ARRI A3X CMOS sensor
  • 5-perf 65mm (full camera aperture)
  • 6560 x 3102 resolution (maximum recordable)
  • 54.12 x 25.58 mm Sensor size (active image area)
  • Weight: 10.5 kg / 23.2 lb
  • ARRI XPL Mount (64mm diameter)
  • 200 - 3200 ISO. Base is 800 ISO
  • Dynamic Range: >14 stops
  • Uncompressed ARRIRAW
  • LDS metadata
  • Electronic Shutter 5° - 358°, adjustable in 1/10° increments
  • 0.75 to 60 fps

I do not think there is any mainstream cinema projector that goes beyond 4K, so a new 70 mm copy will always be better than digital. Of course, every time you project that copy you make it worse, so after X number of showings the digital projection will be better/higher resolution.

I do not think there is any mainstream cinema projector that goes beyond 4K, so a new 70 mm copy will always be better than digital. Of course, every time you project that copy you make it worse, so after X number of showings the digital projection will be better/higher resolution.
ahh yes. Old school toss the film after so many runs. In many ways it did matter to get the first showing ;)

What always amazed me was to to old see the circle in the corner as a trigger to run the other film. I'm always amazed at how I don't notice the transition when it happens. I would suspect there must be some weird overlap period in which there are artifacts, but I never noticed them as a kid.

New rtings video, nothing surprising in it.

TLC for low-end [sadly, this new P-series will not come to EU], Sony X90E in midrange, and C7 for high-end.

For me same as it has been. For now I got my Le eco stopgap, waiting to pick up either a 55 or 65" TCl or maybe 55/65 Vizio M series later when deals are right and TCL 65" is released...

Main issue I have with the Vizio M series is the ~40 ms input lag. So that has me leaning TCl regardless.

For me same as it has been. For now I got my Le eco stopgap, waiting to pick up either a 55 or 65" TCl or maybe 55/65 Vizio M series later when deals are right and TCL 65" is released...

Main issue I have with the Vizio M series is the ~40 ms input lag. So that has me leaning TCl regardless.

On the subject of the TCL, the clouding on my set is very noticeable at times and remains the one real flaw in the way it presents content. To visualize the clouding, think of an unlit X-ray image of tissue (not bone) in the top left and, to a lesser degree, top right quadrant of the screen. Fortunately, it isn't always so visible, and when this artifact isn't front and center the TV does a good to excellent job with everything I throw at it. The good reviews are justified, but I'd buy the Best Buy version in case you lose the panel lottery on the first set and want to swap it for a replacement.

Last edited:
Want the best HDR performer? Here's how ZD9 compares to 2017 LG Oled.
nc5iC73.jpg

A world of difference.

Want the best HDR performer? Here's how ZD9 compares to 2017 LG Oled.

A world of difference.

Good to know. If I ever decide to start watching TV remotely through a webcam, I'll make sure to get a Z9D to get the best possible image. :p

Then watch the source video here, they're just captures from the video.
Plus if in person the difference would be even more drastic than what the picture or video shows due to the fact this jpeg or YT video can't remotely display the actual difference between a near 2000 nits set and a 700 nits set despite an obvious difference already.

Then watch the source video here, they're just captures from the video.

Plus if in person the difference would be even more drastic than what the picture or video shows due to the fact this jpeg or YT video can't remotely display the actual difference between a near 2000 nits set and a 700 nits set despite an obvious difference already.

You're not going to be able to evaluate the capabilities of an OLED by viewing a video capture on a non-OLED screen. It's as simple as that. The advantages that an OLED image has are completely neutered when viewed on a display that doesn't have those same advantages. Further, the conditions that will allow it to look it's best are completely different than the conditions that will allow an LCD to look it's best. Just having the two sets turned on in the same room disadvantages the OLED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back