Movie Reviews 2.0

OK, so, so far Wonder Woman is still my favorite Super Hero movie of the year (given with high bar with Logan and GotGv2, good going WB/DC) but the most fun Super Hero movie (and I say this as someone that ranks GotGv1 as my favorite MCU movie) is absolutely Spider-man Homecoming.

Wasn't particularly eager on this previously, but given the reviews I decided to see it last night, and it certainly lives up to the generally positive review commentary. Overall is it just a very fun and funny movie. They also manage to walk a fine line of actually existing within the MCU but at the same time successfully taking the piss out of it as well. I think Sony will realise what a great decision it was to tie this back to the MCU and give Kevin Fiege a guiding hand over it, its reaped the benefits in tone, character handling and general fun, so hopefully that will translate to box office success.

Wonder Woman (2017) is a good super-hero movie despite the way Diana interacted with everyone being a total loss and came off as robotic. I can't decide what or who is at fault for it. Was it the director who directed the actress to be so non-human? Was it the actress inability to act human and display emotions? The actress playing the young Diana did a better job than Gadot. Her performance reminded me of a really really bad Vanna White movie, Goddess of Love.

Whatever it was or is, Gadot was awesome as Wonder Woman but completely and absolutely horrible as Diana. Even when she was interacting with her own Amazonian peers outside of fighting, her performance was horrible.

Yeah, I waited till the end as I didn't see your warning before now haha. Yeah not worth it, unless you like to wait for a little slap in the face.

The movie itself was pretty good. I personally would have made a bigger deal of Spiderman's innate abilities. He's a bit techie centered, even though there is supposed to be a growth story related to that. That part was a bit weak imo. I think Peter also bailed out 1 or 2 too many situations, was a bit tiring to see that play out again and again.

But yeah I was entertained and thought it was well worth my time.

If we really need to compare superhero movies, then Wonder Woman was much better, more epic, more everything. But I don't think the two movies are in any way comparable except for the fact that they happen to be about a well known superhero.

Logan is even harder to compare. Still the superhero movies this year has been pretty solid so far. Black Panther looks like it might deliver also and god I hope they finally nail a Thor movie.

I have to say that Logan is my favourite so far. It's tone is completely different though. The gritty non censored action and atmosphere just felt really fresh after these good, but calculated and formulaic box office hits. I personally would perhaps rate Spiderman above Wonderwoman as a movie, but Gal Gadot and young Kirk were a joy to watch.

edit: Michael Keaton was very good again.

Last edited:
Saw the first half of the spiderman movies
it looks incredibly low budget

Thats because Sony still owns and controls the SpiderMan movies. Marvel was only called in to consult on the movie, not actually make it. The only chance of Spider becoming as great is for Sony to step aside and release the IP movie rights.

From what I read, Marvel was only there for consultation, to make sure Sony didnt fuck it up, but all the decisions were entirely under Sony control.

Back